Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oxford University project starts serious hunt

sean6

what a load of poo, there are so many things wrong with this post, who are all these people that are going to be mixing ape and human crap to fool the scientists? mutated opossums? where the hell did that come from

and the statement that scientists aren't used to being intentionally deceived, c'mon the very fact they are scientists means they are reasonably intelligent, are you really suggesting that some knobhead mixing 5hit is going to fool the scientific community?

Horse pucky! Scientist are often the most gullable because they don't realize the length fakers will go to just for a laugh!

Horse pucky! Scientist are often the most gullable because they don't realize the length fakers will go to just for a laugh!

IDK if I agree with the above but I will say that scientists are probably more prone than others to be stuck in their paradigms and therefore unable to recognize new facts that don't fit within said paradigms.

Theres been a study done on that before that I had to read for work and for the life of me I can't find it anymore.

It would be extremly sad for mankind If we have discovered everything known to walk on the earth, I mean the way you guys are talking is as if there is absolutely no chance of discovering ANYTHING new out in the world.

• Like 1

IDK if I agree with the above but I will say that scientists are probably more prone than others to be stuck in their paradigms and therefore unable to recognize new facts that don't fit within said paradigms.

Theres been a study done on that before that I had to read for work and for the life of me I can't find it anymore.

James Randi's book titled "Flim-Flam" is a great book to read as well. He gets into a number of cases where scientist who were studying psychic claims were being BS'ed by charlatans. I suppose I should say that scientist aren't "dumb" so much as they aren't really looking to be duped because they are there to investigate what is supposed to be a real phenomenon.

• Like 1

The basis of scientific principle is that something is unproven until sufficient evidence is available to form a conclusion. Thus it would be just as poor science to assume it is fake as to assume it is genuine. In fact the default position of good science is "we don't know".

A lot of people like to comment on how scientists aren't bright whilst at the same time demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding of how science actually works.

Just saying.

It seems a little strange that after all this time, that the subject would suddenly gather enough credibility to catch the attention of Oxford. The study is at Wolfson, I have heard it is not exactly mainstream? I accept this could be completely wrong, hoping someone can let me know, if it is like a "Steiner" institution. Money has been given the Jeff Meldrum for a very long time now and as far as I know he has not heralded a result to date. I have to say I am rather curious as to how this gained such momentum. I would have through after all this time the scientific position would be that such Hominids do not exist due to decades of claims without any physical evidence whatsoever. Not to mention some claims are downright impossible. With that in mind, why the interest when it has only cost money without result to date? Or are they trying to quell that last bell of that which people call evidence? The study comprises of primarily studying the donated collection of Bernard Heuvelmans, yet I thought Bengt Sjögren managed to explain a great number of Bernard Heuvelmans claims?

Is this the monetary cost of imagination?

Others are highly sceptical of such tales, and consider the subject unworthy of serious scientific investigation.

Asked about the project's chances of success, Prof Sykes said: "The answer is, of course, I don't know," adding, "it's unlikely, but on the other hand if we don't examine it we won't know."

Source

That is an interesting article. I liked the way the BBC did not mention Hillary, but the Shipton photo's seeming as Hillary recanted.

Meldrum has quite some doubts about the Shipton photo's

LINK

As with all bone fragments-they should be analysed to enlighten science to the reality of the creature. I have had to view several thousand videos on YOUTUBE to come up with a handful of reputable sightings caught on video. I have posted them onto my FACEBOOK timeline. I would like the species protected and even though I had a terrifying experience as a child, after watching the reputable films, it is plain to see that they are curious about us;as we are of them. Their protection is paramount, because I fear one being shot and killed for no reason other than trying to protect it's young. I am keen to know the results.

Thanks for the link psyche101. Interesting read but Dr. Meldrum isn't directly involved in the Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project. Dr. Meldrum has his own project now called The Relic Hominoid Inquiry.

Indeed, I was only mentioning the Shipton photos from the linked BBC article ;) I thought it was politically correct to use them as opposed to Hillary's claim, mainly because Hillary recanted. But again, even people in the field doubt this evidence as well, notably a prominent proponent.

Seems to be leaving us with little to move on with in regards to evidences.

Seems to be leaving us with little to move on with in regards to evidences.

Well I can see why you might think that if you only read the BBC story, but.....

I'm challenging and inviting the cryptozoologists to come up with the evidence instead of complaining that science is rejecting what they have to say," said geneticist Bryan Sykes of the University of Oxford.

and

While Sykes doesn't expect to find solid evidence of a yeti or Bigfoot monster, he says he is keeping an open mind and hopes to identify perhaps 20 of the suspect samples. Along the way, he'd be happy if he found some unknown species.

Source