Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
Dale Larner

Was Vincent van Gogh Jack the Ripper ?

326 posts in this topic

Its all in the imagination free :lol:

Come on, think of some ideas....we could have our own book by the end of the week.

this time next year, we will be millionaires! :w00t:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

http://manybooks.net...6germinal.html#

a much better read, PDF download available

Germinal

by Emile Zola

Translated and Introduced by Havelock Ellis

Introduction

By Havelock Ellis

'GERMINAL' was published in 1885, after occupying Zola during the previous year. In accordance with his

usual custom--but to a greater extent than with any other of his books except La Débâcle--he accumulated

material beforehand. For six months he travelled about the coal-mining district in northern France and

Belgium, especially the Borinage around Mons, note-book in hand. 'He was inquisitive, was that gentleman',

miner told Sherard who visited the neighbourhood at a later period and found that the miners in every village

knew Germinal. That was a tribute of admiration the book deserved, but it was never one of Zola's most

popular novels; it was neither amusing enough nor outrageous enough to attract the multitude.

Vincent loved the book

Or if you prefer to read Vincent's letters online > http://vangoghletter...vg/letters.html

The letters by period 14. Arles, letters 577 - 771 21 February 1888 - 8 May 1889 here

Edit ~ linked

Edited by third_eye
2 people like this

Come on, think of some ideas....we could have our own book by the end of the week.

this time next year, we will be millionaires! :w00t:

I like the sound of that free hahaha

Posted (edited)

http://manybooks.net...6germinal.html#

a much better read, PDF download available

Vincent loved the book

Or if you prefer to read Vincent's letters online > http://vangoghletter...vg/letters.html

The letters by period 14. Arles, letters 577 - 771 21 February 1888 - 8 May 1889 here

Edit ~ linked

But but but, this can not be!!!!

On the 3rd of April he was in London killing Emma Elizabeth Smith and yet managed to write a letter from Arles.

On the 8th of August, he was in London the day before murdering Martha Tabram.

On the 31st of August he was in London again murdering Mary Anne Nichols and yet managed to write a letter on the 29th and 30th stating that he had to find the money to pay his rent.

etc etc etc etc ........................

if the Van Gogh theory is true, then I think this shows that our postal services and train speeds have gone down hill greatly from those days.

third _eye, you are the man. :tu:

Edited by freetoroam
2 people like this

On the 3rd of April he was in London killing Emma Elizabeth Smith

On the 31st of August he was in London again murdering Mary Anne Nichols and yet managed to write a letter on the 29th and 30th stating that he had to find the money to pay his rent.

if the Van Gogh theory is true, then I think this shows that our postal services and train speeds have gone down hill greatly from those days.

KNowing what you know now, go back and read the OP ... have a good laugh :lol:

1 person likes this

KNowing what you know now, go back and read the OP ... have a good laugh :lol:

I never thought his theories had any weight, these dates are so much the proof. I do hope he sees this, to save any embarrassment.

I never thought his theories had any weight, these dates are so much the proof. I do hope he sees this, to save any embarrassment.

Never you worry about him, he has already shown he don't care what 'embarrassment' means

1 person likes this

I have a idea for a book free,it is based on da vinci actually made a time travel machine and was the real culprit behind the BTK killings!

Brilliance at its best!!!

All sarcasm aside hope the book does well Dale as i said i may even give it a read.Even if something isnt realistic if well written can still be worth the time.

1 person likes this

I have a idea for a book free,it is based on da vinci actually made a time travel machine and was the real culprit behind the BTK killings!

Brilliance at its best!!!

All sarcasm aside hope the book does well Dale as i said i may even give it a read.Even if something isnt realistic if well written can still be worth the time.

Lets do it, but can I draw the pictures?

1 person likes this

Lets do it, but can I draw the pictures?

Sure as i will be to jacked up on caffeine and arrogance to sit still long enough to draw a picture :lol:

1 person likes this

On the 3rd of April he was in London killing Emma Elizabeth Smith and yet managed to write a letter from Arles.

Exactly why I asked the question about the post marks! :) If you can prove he was in Arles posting a letter (depending how long post took then) then you can prove where he wasn't too.

1 person likes this

Sure as i will be to jacked up on caffeine and arrogance to sit still long enough to draw a picture :lol:

Owwww, this is getting exciting, I love drawing, I may even have to cut off an ear.

Going out now to buy caffeine and arrogance for you and some crayons for me. :tu:

this time next year, we are going to be millionaires.

1 person likes this

Exactly why I asked the question about the post marks! :) If you can prove he was in Arles posting a letter (depending how long post took then) then you can prove where he wasn't too.

With those dates now you do not even have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure it out. As you say about the postal times, its pretty obvious he was not roaming the streets of London murdering prostitutes. :yes:

Owwww, this is getting exciting, I love drawing, I may even have to cut off an ear.

Going out now to buy caffeine and arrogance for you and some crayons for me. :tu:

No need to purchase the arrogance it will come with the money,I will be sure not to forget the little people such as yourself (my co-author) who helped make my brilliance shine through to the ignorant masses.

Dont cut off the ear,i refuse to stand next to a mangled face during a co-signing of MY work :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 person likes this

No need to purchase the arrogance it will come with the money,I will be sure not to forget the little people such as yourself (my co-author) who helped make my brilliance shine through to the ignorant masses.

Dont cut off the ear,i refuse to stand next to a mangled face during a co-signing of MY work :lol: :lol: :lol:

LITTLE PEOPLE?? I am 6ft 6.....................ok, maybe 5ft 1 but still.

i will make sure your brilliance is included in my drawings.....as it will be my face on the back cover.

Are we arguing already? we haven`t even got a title for our masterpiece yet!

Laughing-smiley-face.gif

1 person likes this

Wow, no response to my post. Interesting folks

As an avid reader of anything JTR, I find these responses quite childlike. I may not agree with he author on his claims, as I have not read the book, however, I have read a plethora of material regarding the murders. I've bee fascinated for as long as I can remember.

One of the things that does make me wonder, is that Van Gogh was mentioned years ago as a possible suspect. I believe that as a writer, we do have a certain responsibility to insuring our facts are supported by evidence. Without reading the book, who are we to judge?

I do not believe that Van Gogh had anything to do with the commission of the crime. I find other suspects much more plausible.

Despite my feelings of self promotion, and individuals seeking attention for something, this person has what many scientists call a possible theory. We once thought the earth was flat, did not believe in the possibility of flight, etc.

Please give others respect and carry on with your civil discourse.

@maureen_jacobs

Well i do not believe my original post was "childlike" it was actually based on a timeline with facts others have already mentioned.

Once again i stated i might give it a read because it may be well written even if facts prove it wrong.Also wished the author well

Finally i like to joke around every now and then because many take themselves a bit to serious on this forum sometimes,myself included.

There i responded lol

Well i do not believe my original post was "childlike" it was actually based on a timeline with facts others have already mentioned.

Once again i stated i might give it a read because it may be well written even if facts prove it wrong.Also wished the author well

Finally i like to joke around every now and then because many take themselves a bit to serious on this forum sometimes,myself included.

There i responded lol

Sir, I didn't mean to single anyone out. I most certainly did not say everyone was childish.

Just observing that some of the folks here are critiquing a book they have never read.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

As an avid reader of anything JTR, I find these responses quite childlike. I may not agree with he author on his claims, as I have not read the book, however, I have read a plethora of material regarding the murders. I've bee fascinated for as long as I can remember.

One of the things that does make me wonder, is that Van Gogh was mentioned years ago as a possible suspect. I believe that as a writer, we do have a certain responsibility to insuring our facts are supported by evidence. Without reading the book, who are we to judge?

I do not believe that Van Gogh had anything to do with the commission of the crime. I find other suspects much more plausible.

Despite my feelings of self promotion, and individuals seeking attention for something, this person has what many scientists call a possible theory. We once thought the earth was flat, did not believe in the possibility of flight, etc.

@maureen_jacobs

As has been pointed out, it is not possible for Van Gogh to be classed as a suspect.

No disrespect to the write, but the theory has been judged here already and has been proven to be completely wrong, no need to read the book for any more insight on that.

I do not think that a scientist would see this as a possible theory at all, the letters of Van Gogh are proof enough and a scientist would not possibly even try to dispute those to even try and put him as a possible suspect.

As for childlike, we have had 16 pages of mostly why it can not be Van Gogh, at this stage a bit of humour is not being disrespectful, more like "Look, its not him, and to try and seriously continue to insist it is, would be rather foolish and silly" We have done the serious bits and lets put this theory to rest and save any more embarrassing evidence to prove Van Gogh was not Jacques Le Jack the Ripper.

But with respect to the writter, I hope he does ok with his book, but as for fact base, unfortunately, it is not.

Edited by freetoroam

Very Dan Brown-esque! We all knew Dan was full of crap, but look how rich we made him! I think of Dale kinda like his lackey little brother. ;)

What’s humorous about this is I actually do have an older brother named Dan, but it’s not Dan Brown. I like my brother, but I’m not a fan of Dan Brown. His books are all fiction. VINCENT ALIAS JACK is all real.

Thanks,

Dale Larner

If there is a case where apologies are unnecessary then this one fits the box to shoes, Mr Dale Larner is an bona fide 'idiot'

shameless one at that

not insulting or disrespecting,

on the contrary, Mr Dale Larner is the one being disrespectful to the able and sane members of the literary community

2 people like this

I've actually shifted through the evidence.

The "Lillies" picture with Mary Kelly supposedly hiding is a bit tenious.

But what happens if art is doing more than imitating life.

Who's to say the letter signed " Jack" that was sent to the police was not actually the Ripper's handiwork.

Tbh if Van Gogh had a habit of mutilating and killing prostitutes his killing ground would have been more likely to be Paris.

But the more clever criminals are not likely to choose the most obvious places.

Alas Van Gogh was poorer than a church mice.

He only got his fame and fortune posthumously.

Besides Van Gogh would look conspicuous with a ginger beard and straw boater in the fog- shrouded streets of London.

But any theory consisting of a lone person is not actually a conspiracy.

So Dale's got a legiminate reason for doing this so I wish him the best of British.

The letters

Van Gogh’s handwriting and the timing of his life match to the Ripper.

Killing ground

Paris would have been easier, but for one thing, his brother, Theo, was living there. But the main reason for London was because Vincent had lived there as a young man, and it was where everything went wrong for him. I present that he committed his first and second murders while living there. He then had plenty of motivation for returning to London later to murder again and again, acting under his Jack the Ripper persona.

Vincent was poor

Theo provided him with enough to live and paint on and also enough to travel to London for each of the murders. He only needed 100 francs for a roundtrip to London and back.

Vincent’s red hair

Departing from the dark-haired false image of the murderer created at the time, a few key witnesses in London spotted a man with a ginger beard and a carroty mustache. One of those witnesses even saw the murderer in his victim’s room the same night she was murdered. It was Vincent.

Good comments, and thanks for the encouragement,

Dale Larner

@maureen_jacobs

Well said, Maureen. A rational mind steps forward from among the encircling hyenas. Thanks for your reasonable attitude. It’s the right way to be, and you’re examples are spot on. History is littered with stories of once-accepted beliefs about some subject or person which were then proven false. Even without bringing up the Ripper connection, the accepted belief of who Van Gogh was is limited and overly sympathetic. He was a rough character, and I show that his roughness was much deeper than his heavy drinking and regular visits to the brothels.

I’m all for being skeptical, as you present. That’s the way I am, and it’s also good to be curious and open to the possibilities, especially when the research has been thorough.

Thanks for being a thinking person and for holding up the banner of a knowledge seeker. It's always about getting to the truth, no matter where that leads.

Stay strong,

Dale Larner

1 person likes this

Well said, Maureen. A rational mind steps forward from among the encircling hyenas. Thanks for your reasonable attitude. It’s the right way to be, and you’re examples are spot on. History is littered with stories of once-accepted beliefs about some subject or person which were then proven false. Even without bringing up the Ripper connection, the accepted belief of who Van Gogh was is limited and overly sympathetic. He was a rough character, and I show that his roughness was much deeper than his heavy drinking and regular visits to the brothels.

I’m all for being skeptical, as you present. That’s the way I am, and it’s also good to be curious and open to the possibilities, especially when the research has been thorough.

Thanks for being a thinking person and for holding up the banner of a knowledge seeker. It's always about getting to the truth, no matter where that leads.

Stay strong,

Dale Larner

History is also littered with well known facts!Disputing facts with schoolyard tales does nothing to prove your theory.The more i have read through this topic this might not even be a dime store mystery novel.If "holding up the banner of a knowledge seeker" means looking for facts from fantasy,then i am glad someone other than myself has been bestowed with this honor. ;)

Points worth noting:

1. Like others, I don’t count Emma Smith as a Ripper victim. The evidence isn’t there.

2. You’re right about the postal service speeds. It’s not as good as back then. It was more like FedEx then. Sending letters was their internet. Express mail trains were used throughout Europe to get letters and goods to their destination quick. A letter sent just about anywhere in Europe was expected to be delivered to just about anywhere in Europe by the next day—quite fast.

3. Using those same express trains, Vincent could travel to London in 24 hrs. and travel back to Arles, France in 24 hrs. Things moved quicker than it would seem.

4. It must be understood that Vincent rarely dated his letters, and also that the envelopes were not kept, so no postmarks for dating, and that biographers and researchers have dated the letters based on piecing together the contents and other details. Of course, they’ve done an admirable job, but the dates of the letters aren’t always known absolutely.

5. Even so, the dating and contents of Vincent’s letters match up very well to the murders. For good reason—he was Jack the Ripper.

Please know I’ve read and studied all of Van Gogh’s 800 letters and know the dating. The contents and dating don’t work against what I put forward—it works towards it.

Thanks for looking further,

Dale Larner