Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jesus 'died on Friday, April 3, 33AD'

Big Bad Voodoo

http://www.dailymail...spels-date.html

Jesus died on Friday, April 3, 33AD, according to an investigation which matches his death to an earthquake.

The investigation, from the International Geology Review, looked at earthquake activity around the Dead Sea, which is around 13 miles from Jerusalem.

The Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 27, says that as Jesus lay dying on the cross, an earthquake shook the area, scattering graves and making the sky go dark.

However, putting the jigsaw together, Williams said the clues were:

• All four gospels and Tacitus in Annals (XV,44) agree that the crucifixion occurred when Pontius Pilate was procurator of Judea from 26-36 AD
  • All four gospels say the crucifixion occurred on a Friday
  • All four gospels agree that Jesus died a few hours before the beginning of the Jewish Sabbath (nightfall on a Friday)
  • The synoptic gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke) indicate that Jesus died before nightfall on the 14th day of Nisan; right before the start of the Passover meal
  • John’s gospel differs from the 'Synoptic Gospels'; apparently indicating that Jesus died before nightfall on the 15th day of Nisan

Edited by the L

How does an earthquake darken the sky?

Dust?

The article says that the earthquake pins it down to a ten year period, not that it pins it to that date.

A widespread earthquake is known to have happened in 31BC, and another one was detected which must have occured between 26AD and 36AD.

Other clues make it much more precise. This clue is about as useful as knowning Pontius Pilot was ruling at the time.

The researchers said that these clues, combined with the Jewish calendar and astronomy clues, indicate that Friday April 3, 33 AD is the best possible match.
Williams told Discovery that this could have been caused by a dust storm - and now he is searching the soil samples to see if he can find evidence of this as well.

Good luck with that Mr Williams.

Of course, I'm happy to accept the theory that God was being melodramatic that day - given he/his son had just been tortured to death - so shook the ground and darkened the sky himself in order to put a full stop on Jesus' message, just a last little show of the man's divinity.

• Like 1

The theorized date of the crucificion will not be accepted by all people and still be continously debated forever, because religion is something not everyone can agree on and have differing opinions or personal beliefs of how they worship and perform their religions, by thinking of their own interpretation of the crucificion as they fit or feel to be "literally true".

• Like 1

Jesus died on Friday, April 3, 33AD,?

should that be 0 AD or can one die 33years after death?

or am I missing something

Anno Domini doesn't mean "after death", it means "in the year of our Lord", so counting form the year of birth makes snese.

What time was that, exactly?

Anno Domini doesn't mean "after death", it means "in the year of our Lord", so counting form the year of birth makes snese.

LOL!!

Now if they find out at exactly what time Jesus died, it will be so-and-so PM.

That's not Post Mortem, but Past Midday.

http://www.dailymail...spels-date.html

However, putting the jigsaw together, Williams said the clues were:

• All four gospels say the crucifixion occurred on a Friday
  • All four gospels agree that Jesus died a few hours before the beginning of the Jewish Sabbath (nightfall on a Friday)

Couple of points to consider here:

* As far as I understand Scriptures, *none* of the Scriptures state that Jesus died on a Friday.

* Second point to consider is that Jesus did die before *a* Sabbath; but the question is, which Sabbath was it, which followed the death of Jesus?

There is the weekly seventh day Sabbath. Then there are also Sabbath days during God's annual Holy Days, which are High Holy Days, and do not necessarily fall on the weekly seventh day Sabbath.

Assuming that Jesus died on a Wednesday, and the following day (Thursday) was Passover, then that Thursday was a High Sabbath.

Further thoughts and comments?

Karlis

LOL!!

Now if they find out at exactly what time Jesus died, it will be so-and-so PM.

That's not Post Mortem, but Past Midday.

I'm sure if they wanted to put an exact time to it, they could get pretty close. It was nearing dusk when they went to break his legs, and they wanted all the crucified people dead before night fall, due to the Sabboth being the next day. Supposedly he actually died before the soldiers showed up so given that they can figure out exactly when dusk was, they can probably get within an hour of what time it was.

Couple of points to consider here:

* As far as I understand Scriptures, *none* of the Scriptures state that Jesus died on a Friday.

* Second point to consider is that Jesus did die before *a* Sabbath; but the question is, which Sabbath was it, which followed the death of Jesus?

There is the weekly seventh day Sabbath. Then there are also Sabbath days during God's annual Holy Days, which are High Holy Days, and do not necessarily fall on the weekly seventh day Sabbath.

Assuming that Jesus died on a Wednesday, and the following day (Thursday) was Passover, then that Thursday was a High Sabbath.

Further thoughts and comments?

Karlis

I believe the Jewish calendar has been back figured to find out what holidays happened on what dates and what day of the week (in modern terms) it was. So the idea it was a Friday, I believe is based on math, not speculation. At least as far as 33 AD is concerned. The Passover and the Saturday Sabboth were on the same day in that year. Other years could be different as the Passover was always on the 15th of Nisan.

Here is a site with a jewish calendar that shows the 15th of Nisan in 33AD is the same as April 4th, a Saturday.

http://www.cgsf.org/...endar/?roman=33

Edited by DieChecker

~~~ ...

... I believe the Jewish calendar has been back figured to find out what holidays happened on what dates and what day of the week (in modern terms) ...

... So the idea it was a Friday, I believe is based on math, not speculation. At least as far as 33 AD is concerned. The Passover and the Saturday Sabboth were on the same day in that year. Other years could be different as the Passover was always on the 15th of Nisan.

Here is a site with a jewish calendar that shows the 15th of Nisan in 33AD is the same as April 4th, a Saturday.

http://www.cgsf.org/...endar/?roman=33

You have made my point, DieChecker. The key question is: which was the year that Jesus died? That question is wide open to speculation, and does allow for the death of Jesus to have been on Wednesday.

Thoughts?

Karlis

Let's be honest this kind of thing is nothing new. Even if the date is accurate, taking into consideration all other factors (leap years, lunar verses solar years, julian against gregorian calendars and so on) does it really prove anything? Is it dumbing down the real reason why there was an earthquake in the first place? And it doesn't explain why there was a darkness according to the Gospel of Matthew `from the sixth to the ninth hour.` Nor does it explain how in an earthquake area that the curtain that divided the holiest area of the temple was torn in two.

From time to time some people will try to find a way to explain supernatural things especially if they were recorded in the Bible, to give it a more rational and `human` slant to it. But then that can lead to more questions and fewer answers to explain these things away.

It was about Easter time, if I remember rightly.

... Even if the date is accurate, taking into consideration all other factors (leap years, lunar verses solar years, julian against gregorian calendars and so on) does it really prove anything? ...

***>>> I personally was attempting to show that it is quite possible that Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday.

... why there was an earthquake in the first place? And it doesn't explain why there was a darkness according to the Gospel of Matthew `from the sixth to the ninth hour.` Nor does it explain how in an earthquake area that the curtain that divided the holiest area of the temple was torn in two.

***>>> My personal view? The above were supranatural events.

Does this even matter? Nitpicking to the Nth degree and for what?

• Like 1

Does this even matter? Nitpicking to the Nth degree and for what?

Well, it does matter if one accepts Scriptures as fact. That said, according to Scriptures Jesus stated he would be "in the grave" three days and three nights. If Jesus was placed in the tomb on Wednesday evening (before sunset), then to fulfil his statement, Jesus was resurrected at the same time (before sunset) on Saturday evening.

And that is why this point seems important to me.

Ref "the darkness which came over the land",can they figure out when an eclipse or partial eclipse happened in that part of the world,tie that in with an earth tremor,not a full earthquake,and that just maybe the answer,also bearing in mind that the religion in that part of the world was probably Jewish,as the Christians were still in a minority,then the talked of Sabbath would have been Jewish,and Xmas and Easter wern't yet invented.Does that make sense? or am I just yakking !

Ref "the darkness which came over the land",can they figure out when an eclipse or partial eclipse happened in that part of the world,tie that in with an earth tremor,not a full earthquake,and that just maybe the answer,also bearing in mind that the religion in that part of the world was probably Jewish,as the Christians were still in a minority,then the talked of Sabbath would have been Jewish,and Xmas and Easter wern't yet invented.Does that make sense? or am I just yakking !

It is not possible for an eclipse to occur at the time of the full moon. At the time of the Passover it's always full moon.

Wonder if somebody factored the additional days in that were not counted when the calendar switched from Julian to Gregorian....

Wonder if somebody factored the additional days in that were not counted when the calendar switched from Julian to Gregorian....

Not relevant to Passover, which always was and is at the time of the full moon. :tu:

Has anybody asks the Archbishop of Armagh what he thinks?

Not relevant to Passover, which always was and is at the time of the full moon. :tu:

not quite, as we have 11 days, which then could have been the previous full moon or the next full moon as it has a 29 day cycle.