Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crazy Woman Creek

Eldorado

Thought I'd share a nice wee tale....

"The name, Crazy Woman Creek, is unique enough that the first time visitor to Wyoming will almost always ask about its origin suspecting there is an interesting story behind it. ........................"

"There are actually several "legends" or "myths" that explain the name. In these legends, the "crazy" woman is either white or Indian. According to one Indian woman version, a squaw who was left completely alone after her village had been attacked, lost her mind and lived in the area in a dirty, squalid manner until her death.

Another story involves a white family named Morgan, traveling by covered wagon, who was attacked by Sioux warriors. They tomahawked and scalped the husband and three children. Mrs. Morgan was not killed but was driven out of her mind from witnessing the terrible fate of her family. However, she had seized an ax and killed four of the attacking Indians who then left her alone.

Supposedly, a mountain man named Johnson chanced upon the scene shortly thereafter, buried the dead family members, but could not persuade the woman to leave the gravesides. As a warning to the Indians not to bother her, he decapitated the dean warriors and placed their heads upon stakes near the graves. Johnson then built the woman a small cabin and stopped by occasionally to bring her supplies.

Because of her presence on the stream it came to be known as Crazy Woman Creek. Johnson eventually found her frozen body, apparently dead from starvation.

Even more at: http://www.travel-to-wyoming.com/buffalo/crazy_woman_creek.htm

:)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spud the mackem

• Eldorado

• Ealdwita

• Ashotep

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd share a nice wee tale....

"The name, Crazy Woman Creek, is unique enough that the first time visitor to Wyoming will almost always ask about its origin suspecting there is an interesting story behind it. ........................"

"There are actually several "legends" or "myths" that explain the name. In these legends, the "crazy" woman is either white or Indian. According to one Indian woman version, a squaw who was left completely alone after her village had been attacked, lost her mind and lived in the area in a dirty, squalid manner until her death.

Another story involves a white family named Morgan, traveling by covered wagon, who was attacked by Sioux warriors. They tomahawked and scalped the husband and three children. Mrs. Morgan was not killed but was driven out of her mind from witnessing the terrible fate of her family. However, she had seized an ax and killed four of the attacking Indians who then left her alone.

Supposedly, a mountain man named Johnson chanced upon the scene shortly thereafter, buried the dead family members, but could not persuade the woman to leave the gravesides. As a warning to the Indians not to bother her, he decapitated the dean warriors and placed their heads upon stakes near the graves. Johnson then built the woman a small cabin and stopped by occasionally to bring her supplies.

Because of her presence on the stream it came to be known as Crazy Woman Creek. Johnson eventually found her frozen body, apparently dead from starvation.

Even more at: http://www.travel-to...woman_creek.htm

:)

There was a film made a few years ago called "Jeremiah Johnson" (Robert Redford),anyway in this film,what you have described about the Crazy Woman is actually portraid in this movie almost exactly as you have said it...Its a classic film and I am looking out for the DVD,which I cant find anywhere,but I used to have the VHS tape.I think the story must be true. Edited by spud the mackem

I think Amazon have that DVD, Spud.

I think Amazon have that DVD, Spud.

Thanks for that,I'll look them up...cheers

Sounds like a interesting story, makes me want to watch Jeremiah Johnson.

The movie is based on the life story of a mountain man named "Liver eating" Johnson,more info can be found in Wikipedia.One heck of a story..cheers

If you do, don't be put off by it being classed as a western. It's more of a fight for survival in the wilderness type movie. A 10/10 movie :)