Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia Has Prostitutes?

and-then

http://www.bloomberg...ry-victory.html

Who knew? (and why wasn't I informed sooner?) :w00t:

LOL, you didn't hear? There was quite a kerfufle about fourteen years ago when the industry was legalised as to where to put brothels. Mostly legal anyways.......

Link -

Queensland sex industry still largely illegitimate

Nah, your male. That depreciates your services by about 99.9999999999999999%

Because men who want sex are not all too difficult to find for some reason..........................

Damn I guess I shouldn't have quit my job in such a haste... :tu:

What it comes down to I think is that if it is a personal decision from an informed person, then we have no right to stand in their way. I see that as interfering with business. If prostitution is coerced, forced or duped, that should be regarded a serious crime with a harsh penalty. And I honestly do not believe that it would be all that hard hard to distinguish the two.

Yeah I agree, It's a job they choose and with that kind of money who could say they are wrong. I remember seeing on A Current Affair once, They showed how extensive the checkups are on brothels. The girls and brothels are screened thoroughly and often to make sure nothing dodgy is going on. All the girls seemed happy and the place was very posh looking, not a dirty room some people are imagining I think.

And besides every country has prostitution, the difference is in places that make it illegal. Girls walking dangerous streets at night and hopping in cars maybe to never be seen again. No safety or regulations.

• Like 1

Damn I guess I shouldn't have quit my job in such a haste... :tu:

:w00t::rofl:

Classic! The dole might be looking good................... :D

Yeah I agree, It's a job they choose and with that kind of money who could say they are wrong. I remember seeing on A Current Affair once, They showed how extensive the checkups are on brothels. The girls and brothels are screened thoroughly and often to make sure nothing dodgy is going on. All the girls seemed happy and the place was very posh looking, not a dirty room some people are imagining I think.

Indeed, and I can understand why the industry has a tainted image, whilst there is enterprising ladies making a decent buck in very good conditions, there are also some real scumbags who take advantage of inexperienced people. It needs strict policing, which due to the nature of the profession seems rather ironic. Hard to be fair to everyone, but a total ban is not the answer either, it is going to happen wether people want it to or not.

And besides every country has prostitution, the difference is in places that make it illegal. Girls walking dangerous streets at night and hopping in cars maybe to never be seen again. No safety or regulations.

Indeed, I have to agree, it is something we need to face head on, it is here, always has been, and is not going anywhere, the worlds oldest profession. Trying to quash it will only make it more dangerous for those who wish to work in the sex industry. And some aways will, I mean sex is great, who does not like it? I am sure there is quite a few ladies of the night who are pretty happy with their life choice. But again, the wolves need policing.

Cheer up!.... you have self-respect and dignity, which are priceless. :)

I dunno, I think ten grand a week would buy me quite some respect and dignity!

• Like 1

I dunno, I think ten grand a week would buy me quite some respect and dignity!

Would you tell your kids you're a whore who'll do whatever the customer asks as long as the price is right?

Serious questions, my friend... no offence intended etc.

Would you advise your teenage daughter that it's a great career?

• Like 1

The argument that prostitution is fine because it is a choice (presuming it is a choice) ignores the reason why it is a viable choice.

The customers, mainly men, effectively use the prostitute as a m********ion aid. There is no difference in the physiological effect than if they sat at home and got themselves off. You might argue there is a difference in the psychology of the encounter, but to that I would argue then those customers need to get out and find themselves actual girlfriends and/or boyfriends with whom they can have a psychologically-sound sexual relationship.

The vast majority of the customers of a prostitute do not require sex, they require counselling.

I know there will be arguments along the lines of "Yeah, but this is the real world we live in." Well, in the real world people who have emotional, social or psychological difficulties do get counselling. In the real world the customers of the prostitute also have choices, hopefully made in the direction that benefits themselves, rather than prolongs the issues causing them to seek the emptiness of paying money for sex.

Edited by Leonardo

The argument that prostitution is fine because it is a choice (presuming it is a choice) ignores the reason why it is a viable choice.

The customers, mainly men, effectively use the prostitute as a m********ion aid. There is no difference in the physiological effect than if they sat at home and got themselves off. You might argue there is a difference in the psychology of the encounter, but to that I would argue then those customers need to get out and find themselves actual girlfriends and/or boyfriends with whom they can have a psychologically-sound sexual relationship.

The vast majority of the customers of a prostitute do not require sex, they require counselling.

I know there will be arguments along the lines of "Yeah, but this is the real world we live in." Well, in the real world people who have emotional, social or psychological difficulties do get counselling. In the real world the customers of the prostitute also have choices, hopefully made in the direction that benefits themselves, rather than prolongs the issues causing them to seek the emptiness of paying money for sex.

Of course that's the way it works in the real world...... Whenever i get a bit horny i head down to the local psychiatrists. It costs more then a hooker but you really get screwed hard

• Like 1

Would you tell your kids you're a whore who'll do whatever the customer asks as long as the price is right?

Serious questions, my friend... no offence intended etc.

Would you advise your teenage daughter that it's a great career?

No offence taken :D

Well as I said I do know a few ladies "in this industry" due to my friend who runs the business, and the ladies I know keep their work life and home life separate, as I try to do myself. The people I know are not promiscuous in their home lives, and of course they have no reason to be as they have plenty at work. If I was making ten grand a week, I would think that it woud not be hard to keep my profession private. The Ladies of the night that I have met will not do whatever the customer asks as long as the price is right, they still have rules and some very large Maori men who will be more then happy to go visit any unruly customer who is at all confused with "the rules". These guys seem to have a way with "convincing" the client that the rules must be followed.

So no, others do not tell their kids, and the sensitive nature of the profession is not for kids, just like I doubt a mortician comes home and discusses his day over the family dinner table. Not to mention I think that exposing minors to the harsh realities of the sex industry is illegal.

Would I advise a teenage daughter that it is a great career?

No again, of course not, as I said earlier it takes a certain person who wants to work in that industry, the right mentality, a brutal business sense, and all importantly a goal. Lets face it, it is not a life long career choice. As such, that decision has to be an individual one because as much as I love and care about my daughter, she has certain decisions she has to make for herself. I mentioned a stripper who was using the money to fund her studies as a medical GP. If my daughter came to me and said she was in the industry, putting herself through Uni, and would be a surgeon in a few years, I would have to consider her life choice as valid, and I would have to support her, and if it meant she could study whilst enjoying living in a fine penthouse and driving a 2,00,000 dollar car, and dining at the finest restaurants, who am I to take that from her? But if she was doing it for drugs, I would sign papers to have her forcibly committed. High class prostitutes (who tend to command this sort of money) get to service the celebrity industry, imagine of you could have your favourite actress pay you for sex after taking you out for a nice dinner!!

So and decision would be subjective to the situation at hand. Each case is individual that is why I suspect prostitution has always gone in the too hard basket.

• Like 1

Indeed, as such, who is using who?

This makes me think that we have the entire mentality regarding the sex industry backwards?

With regards to "choice" that is where I agree completely, and that is why it is hard to police. When it is not a choice it is a serious crime, but honestly, I do not think it would be all toot difficult to distinguish the two.

Some people just cannot get sex, weight, looks, disabilities etc. Those people would appreciate these ladies immensely I think.

Some people just cannot get sex, weight, looks, disabilities etc. Those people would appreciate these ladies immensely I think.

Aren't you confusing sex with love, comfort, etc?

While the customer of a prostitute may delude themselves they are being loved, or comforted, that delusion only feeds the issues which drove them to pay for sex in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regard sex as something dirty or empty. But I do feel that sex is only truly fulfilling and comforting when undertaken with another who you at least have feelings of attraction to, and reciprocates those feelings. Some people lack the self-esteem (for various reasons, some of which you outline above) to share themselves with another they care for or are attracted to, but that is an issue that would be better they face up to rather than hide from.

The prostitute does not engage in sex because she or he is attracted to her or his customer and so the 'relationship' is entirely one-sided. In that situation any sense of satisfaction the customer has is purely physical and never emotional.

Prostitution offers nothing that a relationship with someone who cares for you can, and that sense of emotional fulfillment is what people seek. Even the simple expression of lust is more satisfying in a relationship of true attraction, but does the prostitute really offer a satiation of lust any more satisfying than self-satisfaction does?

Edited by Leonardo

No offence taken :D

So and decision would be subjective to the situation at hand. Each case is individual that is why I suspect prostitution has always gone in the too hard basket.

Cheers. I'm a live and let live kinda guy so I agree in "each to their own".

I wouldn't indulge personally as sex is part of love, imo. Not really a fan of "casual" relationships... or quickies. They lack emotion.

btw... would you marry one and be cool with her keeping her job? (jokin)

Edited by Eldorado

I'm actually surprized by the number of men who feel that sex without love is 'lacking'. Usually it's the women who voice this opinion.

As to my feelings regarding the world's 'oldest profession', it will never be stopped, might as well be legalized. As to my feelings if I'd appove of my daughter taking up this profession, Hell, No!

btw... would you marry one

Wouldn't bother me if it was a previous job, and not a current one...the only thing I would want to know about the previous job is the same thing I would want to know about them in general - what was the motivation....everything else can be worked out in life, and dealt with, but motivation is a pretty good benchmark for someone's character, if I could understand the motivation, then it's all cool with me.

I wonder if the people in this industry would be in the industry if it was only making 20$ an hour. Funny what money can do to people

• Like 1

Since our earliest ancestors climbed down from the trees females found that if they bent over for the male with the most berry's she might survive another winter, prostitution is probably a natural state for humans.

The love thing is erroneous, what if you never fall in love? how long do you stay with a partner before you decide if you've fallen in love or not, sex is good for your well being whether your in love or not.

OK.. not necessarily love.. liking someone a lot.

You can't "snuggle" after sex with a practical stranger. Least i can't.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

10 grand a week? ..does she plan to retire in 6 months? ....i hope so :)

i know a chick who sells herself, makes copious cash.. then shoots it all up her arm.. her apartment is a mess, her cat was almost starving (many times) and pet birds often die in her care.. she stinks too. i've also seen a pen drawn tattoo on her that's been there for what seems like months.

who in their right mind is paying for that?

who in their right mind is employing her?

i like how reverand lovejoy quipped "once the government approves something it's no longer immoral"

something is not right in all this :(

Aye, your pal seems to have a well dodgy pimp...

• Like 1

OK.. not necessarily love.. liking someone a lot.

One things for sure, it's complicated or should i say "complex" :yes: how much do you have to like them? i like some people straight away, i've even experienced love at first sight.

• Like 1

Aren't you confusing sex with love, comfort, etc?

While the customer of a prostitute may delude themselves they are being loved, or comforted, that delusion only feeds the issues which drove them to pay for sex in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regard sex as something dirty or empty. But I do feel that sex is only truly fulfilling and comforting when undertaken with another who you at least have feelings of attraction to, and reciprocates those feelings. Some people lack the self-esteem (for various reasons, some of which you outline above) to share themselves with another they care for or are attracted to, but that is an issue that would be better they face up to rather than hide from.

The prostitute does not engage in sex because she or he is attracted to her or his customer and so the 'relationship' is entirely one-sided. In that situation any sense of satisfaction the customer has is purely physical and never emotional.

Prostitution offers nothing that a relationship with someone who cares for you can, and that sense of emotional fulfillment is what people seek. Even the simple expression of lust is more satisfying in a relationship of true attraction, but does the prostitute really offer a satiation of lust any more satisfying than self-satisfaction does?

Hi Leonardo

No, not at all, I see what you mean, but I am not talking about people who cannot get sex needing the companionship of a member of the opposite sex. Companionship I think does not necessarily need to have sex as a part of it. But it sure is nice to have both. I am speaking of testosterone, lust, just a basic need. We are one of the few (apparently) species that enjoy sex for pleasure. Everyone likes pleasure, and nobody likes to miss out. Some people seem to have higher drives than others, and it is something you see on movies, on TV, heck almost in public these days. I cannot believe that a person could look at the opposite sex of the species for a lifetime and not wonder what's it like.

Then you have your isolated people like work camps in the middle of nowhere. Australia has such places, and many stories of busloads of prostitutes heading out to them to make a killing. We all like a good time, and sex is awful nice to have, but these men also have no need or want for a permanent relationship, they are there to get the job done and wish to feel human from time to time. Personally, nothing on earth makes one more aware of their own presence than sex.

I understand why sex is so well policed, and I agree that is a good thing. It can be as damaging as it can be beneficial, but that is why I say, it takes a certain type of person to be able to be a prostitute, and to be perfectly honest, in the cases I have mentioned I think it is an informed decision that can greatly benefit all parties. I would hate to take that away from anyone and am not sure we have the right to do so.

Cheers.

Cheers. I'm a live and let live kinda guy so I agree in "each to their own".

I wouldn't indulge personally as sex is part of love, imo. Not really a fan of "casual" relationships... or quickies. They lack emotion.

I am kinda live and let live, I still think we need strong rules and guidelines, but that is why I think prostitution "works" (for want of a better word) in Queensland. I have no problem with quickies, I think they are very exciting and just one spice of life. But I also think there is a time and a place, and some rules. As long as people realise no means freaking bloody well absolutely NO. It simply has to be completely mutual. Alcohol is not an excuse either. I am out of that market now, but in my younger days.............

I have always felt inside that sex and love are two very different things. If you can combine them, I think that is a major bonus, but I do not feel they are tied together. I can truly love someone and not have a sexual feeling for them at all.

btw... would you marry one and be cool with her keeping her job? (jokin)

LOL, it would not be at all acceptable in the society I was brought up in, but if I was Inuit, I doubt it would bother me one bit. Very smart, and impressive that. Such an isolated community would suffer genetic disorders if the ensuing race stayed "close to home" by having a more open relationship, the Inuit's have managed to achieve greet genetic dispersion and keep the specious strong. It is a tradition that so many frown upon, which makes them stronger than those who frown upon them! I have always wondered what intuition allowed these people to take on their own set or morals within their culture, that would benefit them as a species so much! Did they know that genetics would fail if they interbred? Quite a mystery I always thought, and it impresses me to no end. France interbred for the sake of wealth, and genetically, people suffered greatly. Many defects and abnormalities, but the bank was solid!

If my wife sat me down tonight, and confessed to me that she was a prostitute for X amount of years before I met her, it would not change my love for her, or my view and opinion of her one iota. I'd probably laugh to begin with and go BS!!!!

Interesting questions, I think I even surprised myself with some of these replies! Good call Eldorado!

Cheers.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

10 grand a week? ..does she plan to retire in 6 months? ....i hope so :)

i know a chick who sells herself, makes copious cash.. then shoots it all up her arm.. her apartment is a mess, her cat was almost starving (many times) and pet birds often die in her care.. she stinks too. i've also seen a pen drawn tattoo on her that's been there for what seems like months.

who in their right mind is paying for that?

who in their right mind is employing her?

i like how reverand lovejoy quipped "once the government approves something it's no longer immoral"

I am sorry to say that I do not think your friend will be with us for too much longer. This is the other side, the bad side, and I do not think this side of the walk starts with prostitution. It just ends up that way.

One things for sure, it's complicated or should i say "complex" :yes: how much do you have to like them? i like some people straight away, i've even experienced love at first sight.

Indeed, I do not think too many blokes would have troubles snuggling up to Miranda Kerr for only one night of that is all that is on offer. Sometimes you just go with the flow.

My wife was love at first sight. For me at least, I cannot speak for her, but she did not put up much of a fight ;) The old saw each other across a room, and inched closer over the next 30 or so minutes and then, "Why hello!, Would you care for a dance?" Been together ever since. About Twenty years ago that was! Seems like yesterday!

• Like 3

Unless you are female yourself, and have serviced men or women for money, it's impossible to know how truly mentally healthy these women are or how they feel about themselves, no matter how much money they make, how "happy" they seem, or what their goals are.

Some "handle" it now, but yet suffer later or after they quit.

While I am not for policing consensual adult sex, I still, as a female, have to wonder how liberating and fulfilling and beneficial prostitution is for a women's psyche (religion or conservatism not withstanding) how about pride and dignity and good self-esteem, for starters.

"F*me baby! F*me!"

"What's your name again?"

Has to get old and really suck (no pun intended) to hear as a woman. For more than a few prostitutes (high paid and otherwise), as a woman, I'll bet my --- on it.

I also wonder how many really make that much money.

Not to mention how many of us know what it's like (psychologically) to have multiple partners at one time on a regular basis?

Tough subject.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Well, some people could just light up a cigarette or something, after the coitus. Snuggling can make things way too complicated. :unsure2: