Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hobbits of North Caucasus

Big Bad Voodoo

Im not expert in Russian language but as I understand ,area where this dolmens are, is called Krasnodar krai which means Krasno=Beautifull Dar=Gift Krai=Area.

Anyway in that area ,at shores at Black sea and north Caucasus mountains we can found interesting dolmens with very small holes.

As they say that picture say 1000 words I will provide you link and post some pictures where you can see how small are holes on that dolmens. Maybe they were not houses, maybe just storage for food, or even shelter where you can run from huge predators. But you cant ignore idea that they were houses for small people.

Interesting is that there is strange pyramid looking dolmen.

map.jpg

Dolmen_pyramid_in_Mamed_canyon.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

28.jpg

Edited by the L

That was an interesting read, L.. Never heard of these Russian dolmen.

But you can be sure that if it were real 'little people' or people similar to those Indonesian 'hobbits' who built these structures, they would have found some skeletons. they must have built thousands of these little dolmen.

And what about the writing they found:

Archeologists find ancient writings on Sochi’s dolmens

Russia, Sochi News March 24th, 2007

Members of Sochi geographical Society had discovered ancient writings on Dolmens located in Sochi area. During their expedition scientists saw images on some of the stones and noticed that they closely resemble Asian petroglyphs. They also believe that these petroglyphs are not just pictures, but have a meaning.

Russian Academy of Sciences, St.Petersburg, since 1997.

http://www.theliving...an_Dolmens.html

You have pictures of those too?

Something I noticed: though most of these dolmen with holes in them appear to be standing alone, it appears that originally they were part of a wall like structure (click on thumbnail):

post-18246-0-51381300-1338212816_thumb.j

http://web.archive.o....ru/hp/wacfund/

Edited by Abramelin

Greetings Abramelin,

Yes I notice on my link one as part of larger building. I was thinkin maybe they lived there but when night fell they went into holes.

I was thinkin on some succesors of indonesian hobbits or even developed on their own. About skeletons, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Maybe they left. Maybe bones were not preserved. Nature can easily desroy bones. Im aware of scrypt yet I dont know what to tell. Also they say in that site that they found stone balls and carved animals.

btw:great pic.

Edited by the L

Greetings Abramelin,

Yes I notice on my link one as part of larger building. I was thinkin maybe they lived there but when night fell they went into holes.

I was thinkin on some succesors of indonesian hobbits or even developed on their own. About skeletons, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Maybe they left. Maybe bones were not preserved. Nature can easily desroy bones. Im aware of scrypt yet I dont know what to tell. Also they say in that site that they found stone balls and carved animals.

They found bones of Neanderthals and in the west, Georgia, they found bones of millions of years older ancestors of modern men. From the large number of these little dolmens I gather it must have been quite a large number of people who built them and lived there.

And how about any local legends about 'little pople'? Are there any?

Personally I think they were used in some ceremony. Maybe stuff and herbs were being burned in those dolmen, and the hole was there so the smoke (hallucinogens?) could escape.

Edited by Abramelin

Personally I think they were used in some ceremony. Maybe stuff and herbs were being burned in those dolmen, and the hole was there so the smoke (hallucinogens?) could escape.

Holy smoke. :wacko:

Edit: I just search for legends:)

Edited by the L

I'd suggest that the holes are symbolic/ritual in purpose, and not the actual entrances where the dead were put into the dolmen. Probably the dolmen's were built around the dead, rather then built and then having the body put in. Some of those holes are too small even for small children.

Very interesting subject!

I dont have problems with small people hypothesis. Im sure that all that myths about giants were true, at least one. Flo is fine example who spicies can be different.

Thanks Die.

I dont think it was tomb. Im sure that was a shelter or storage. Would you rather live in your house or burry dead there and go live outside? Could be but I dont think its very possible. I was thinking that would be usefull as prison, punishment at first

Edited by the L

Cool L. I've seen pictures of these dolmen before. Dolmen are in many parts of the world , except the Americas

... i think

i like your idea DieChecker, the holes are the perfect size for souls or spirits to come and go. ... but , then again, small animals too.. that fact makes me doubt they would be used as tombs ?

food storage?

Maybe traps for animals?, unless they cultivated mushrooms...Mushrooms usually need moist, watery area, cool and dark. Perfect place for growing.

Some say that Shrooms grow better in dark.

Edited by the L

Cool L. I've seen pictures of these dolmen before. Dolmen are in many parts of the world , except the Americas

... i think

i like your idea DieChecker, the holes are the perfect size for souls or spirits to come and go. ... but , then again, small animals too.. that fact makes me doubt they would be used as tombs ?

Maybe they were a "ashes to ashes" kind of people who actually wanted the animals to eat up the bodies, but have to leave the bones behind. Foxes, cats, rodents and such could get in and eat up the meat and nibble the bones, but the big scavangers, like wolves and bear would not be able to munch up the bones.

I dont have problems with small people hypothesis. Im sure that all that myths about giants were true, at least one. Flo is fine example who spicies can be different.

Thanks Die.

I dont think it was tomb. Im sure that was a shelter or storage. Would you rather live in your house or burry dead there and go live outside? Could be but I dont think its very possible. I was thinking that would be usefull as prison, punishment at first

They must have been very hard to build for being so small. Only a powerful person could have such a thing made. That is what leads me to think they are tombs, rather then homes.

Surely the local people could build wooden homes and/or stone wall homes.

For "little people" even living in a cave would be better. These stone homes for little people would draw big people. Rather then protecting the little people, they would help wipe them out.

Could be prisons, but they would again be very hard/expensive prisons to make.

Maybe traps for animals?, unless they cultivated mushrooms...Mushrooms usually need moist, watery area, cool and dark. Perfect place for growing.

Some say that Shrooms grow better in dark.

L - You may find the following paper to be of interest. While it treats the topic on a somewhat broader scale, you may find it insightful.

On a note more related to personal research and experience in North America, the "holes" could serve somewhat of a dual purpose. They may have been incorporated to allow the "spirit" of the deceased more ready passage into the afterlife. They may have also been incorporated for the ritual "feeding" of the deceased.

As an aside, the impact of soils acidity on the degradation of osteological remains does have quite some degree of variability. Soils dominated by coniferous species ("pines") tend to produce a more acidic (and detrimental) preservation environment. Soils type, moisture levels and drainage are also contributory factors.

http://www.circassia...ns_Markovin.pdf

L - You may find the following paper to be of interest. While it treats the topic on a somewhat broader scale, you may find it insightful.

On a note more related to personal research and experience in North America, the "holes" could serve somewhat of a dual purpose. They may have been incorporated to allow the "spirit" of the deceased more ready passage into the afterlife. They may have also been incorporated for the ritual "feeding" of the deceased.

As an aside, the impact of soils acidity on the degradation of osteological remains does have quite some degree of variability. Soils dominated by coniferous species ("pines") tend to produce a more acidic (and detrimental) preservation environment. Soils type, moisture levels and drainage are also contributory factors.

http://www.circassia...ns_Markovin.pdf

Yeah, reading - your sentence I underlined, I remember that the Bolivian 'chulpas' near Lake Titicaca (in Silustani) were built for the same purpose: for the dead (their ashes/bones), and the hole on top or at the side was meant for the ''spirit' to escape.

chulpachart.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

Yeah, reading - your sentence I underlined, I remember that the Bolivian 'chulpas' near Lake Titicaca (in Silustani) were built for the same purpose: for the dead (their ashes/bones), and the hole on top or at the side was meant for the ''spirit' to escape.

chulpachart.jpg

Abe - Yes, the basic concept appears in quite a number of cultures. Within this concept of "spiritual release" one could also incorporate the ritual breaking and/or puncture of ceramic (and other) grave goods.

Greetings Abramelin,

btw:great pic.

Very interesting pictures L. I would be more than willing to bet that WHEN the bones were discovered that they were widely accepted as the remains of children. Throughout the world many times terrible viruses, illnesses and sicknesses have swept through countless communities, so often taking those who's immune systems were the weakest, the old and the young. To come across grave yards on sites where such was so isn't an unordinary find for archaeologists over the years. It would be easy to mistake the remains of 'hobbits' as being the remains of a child, no matter when or where, wouldn't it?

Just a thought to consider.

these are animal shelters or burial chambers to be sure. if they were houses there would be alot more evidence of structures for other things considering the skill at which these things were built. So these are not dwellings!!!!! put your fnatasies aside and look at it logically.

Very interesting pictures L. I would be more than willing to bet that WHEN the bones were discovered that they were widely accepted as the remains of children. Throughout the world many times terrible viruses, illnesses and sicknesses have swept through countless communities, so often taking those who's immune systems were the weakest, the old and the young. To come across grave yards on sites where such was so isn't an unordinary find for archaeologists over the years. It would be easy to mistake the remains of 'hobbits' as being the remains of a child, no matter when or where, wouldn't it?

Just a thought to consider.

no way would a trained archaeologist/anthropologist mistake childrens' bones for adult hobbit size people. there are many things that are a dead (pun intended) giveaway such as the sutures on the skull bones and teeth just to name the obvious.

lol, holes for spirits to exit the tombs, like spirits need doors.

lol, holes for spirits to exit the tombs, like spirits need doors.

I don't think 'spirits' need food or 'flowers in a vase' either.

Anyway, there were a couple of ideas for the holes in the side of those Bolivian chullpas, and one was - according to the guide - for the 'spirits to enter and leave.

Another had to do with the sun:

Many of the chullpas at Sillustani show pre-Inca characteristics that were later redressed with Inca stone blocks. Similar chullpas are found throughout the entire south Central Andes with the above ground burial styles going back at least to mature Tiwanaku (ca AD 500-950).[2] The insides of the tombs were built to hold entire groups of people, most likely extended families of the Aymara elite. Corpses were not intentionally mummified, but in the dry environment created by the closed tomb, they survived for centuries. Most mummy bundles indicate burial in a fetal position. Some of the tombs also have various animal shapes carved into the stone. The only openings to the buildings face east, where it was believed the Sun was reborn by Mother Earth each day.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sillustani

And I remember something like those 'spirits'' wanting/needing to follow 'spirit lines' or 'spirit roads', but I am not sure if that is what they mean here:

http://cml.upenn.edu...ypo/chullpa.htm

+++

EDIT:

The next is a more mundane explanation:

The burial tower above is about 40' high. Each tower has a small hole facing east, just large enough for a person to crawl through, the entrance closed after burials. These towers were made with chipping tools, it's said.

http://www.andrys.com/peru15.html

Edited by Abramelin

Interesting article, It does look like some little 'hobbit' home. But like swede and abramelin said I think a burial site or ritual place makes a lot more sense especially since there seems to be a few similar ones around Eurasia.