Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mermaids: The Body Found

Keel M.

This isn't so far out there as some narrow minded people think...First explain why we as humans can't figure out our own evolution yet we have figured out every other species' evolution, this theory does make more sense than some they have come up with. As for the government cover up...come on people wake up, this would not be the first time in history that our government has gone to great lengths to hide things from the masses...for example Area 51, if there is nothing to those stories than why do they spend so much money on nothing? And as for the secret weapon it's called HAARP, it's in Alaska, it very powerful and can be used many different ways (also been referred to a Tesla's Death Ray) and yes it is very deadly and yes they are experimenting with it causing some very scary and serious things to happen. And don't think they only experiment on animals...

This isn't so far out there as some narrow minded people think...First explain why we as humans can't figure out our own evolution yet we have figured out every other species' evolution, this theory does make more sense than some they have come up with. As for the government cover up...come on people wake up, this would not be the first time in history that our government has gone to great lengths to hide things from the masses...for example Area 51, if there is nothing to those stories than why do they spend so much money on nothing? And as for the secret weapon it's called HAARP, it's in Alaska, it very powerful and can be used many different ways (also been referred to a Tesla's Death Ray) and yes it is very deadly and yes they are experimenting with it causing some very scary and serious things to happen. And don't think they only experiment on animals...

Hi thirteenjewels,

I would look into the content of your post, but it would be much more friendly to say hello and welcome to UM. :)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Hi and welcome.

There are no more birds falling out of the sky or whales beaching themselves than before this HAARP thing came on the scene. They are natural events which as I stated in a previous post have been occuring throughout history.

Some 'narrow minded' people will put anything down to a government conspiricy that cannot easily be explained, :)

• Like 1

Before completely denouncing the possibility of the existence of "mermaids", you all should at least take a look at another perfectly valid scientific hypothesis, The Aquatic Ape hypothesis. This hypothesis has not been given any credence simply because it has always seemed too outlandish to mainstreamed scientists. No one has given it a thought, and the scientists who have are blacklisted.

There will probably never be proof of any of this, but then again...with all the weird things being found in the oceans and washed up on shores in the last few years...who knows. As for human evolution, there are hobbit-like early humans being found, these little guys looked like what is referred to in fairytales as Gnomes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-432481/Hobbit-like-creature-early-human-species.html

Is it so completely impossible that a tiny branch of human (homo-aquatis:) might have had to adapt to an aquatic environment because of maybe a need of survival? Keep the absurd possibilities open...sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

http://aquaticapehypothesis.com/aat.htm

http://www.primitivism.com/aquatic-ape.htm

http://www.ted.com/talks/elaine_morgan_says_we_evolved_from_aquatic_apes.html

http://aquatic-hypothesis.com/

Before completely denouncing the possibility of the existence of "mermaids", you all should at least take a look at another perfectly valid scientific hypothesis, The Aquatic Ape hypothesis. This hypothesis has not been given any credence simply because it has always seemed too outlandish to mainstreamed scientists. No one has given it a thought, and the scientists who have are blacklisted.

There will probably never be proof of any of this, but then again...with all the weird things being found in the oceans and washed up on shores in the last few years...who knows. As for human evolution, there are hobbit-like early humans being found, these little guys looked like what is referred to in fairytales as Gnomes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-432481/Hobbit-like-creature-early-human-species.html

Is it so completely impossible that a tiny branch of human (homo-aquatis:) might have had to adapt to an aquatic environment because of maybe a need of survival? Keep the absurd possibilities open...sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

http://aquaticapehyp...sis.com/aat.htm

http://www.primitivi...aquatic-ape.htm

http://www.ted.com/t...uatic_apes.html

http://aquatic-hypothesis.com/

I still denounce the possibility of the existence of "Mermaids", and while I'm at it I denounce the "Aquatic ape" theory too.

Keep your open mind though, don't let my opinions cloud your judgement. :)

• Like 2

I liked the doco be it real or not but it did make me think some animals did return back to the sea so why not an ape. ?

What I don't understand about the hypothesis concerning 'mermaids' is, if there has been enough time involved in their evolution to re-acquire 'fishy' (or aquatic mammalian) bodies and hind flippers, then why did they keep the evolutionarily redundant terrestrial features such as noses, lips, arms, etc.

Because then they'd just be regular fish, not the mermaids that charm sailors to their demise.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can someone please give me the name of the actor that played Dr. Paul Robertson? I have been able to find on websites the name of the actor who played Paul Robertson in the imbedded "dramatic reenactments" of events, but not the one who narrated the show as "Dr. Paul Robertson." I have found it impossible so far to ID this person.

What the documentary needed was some comments from well known biologist Doctor Helen Magnus, or experimental physicist Doctor Walter Bishop.

Maybe military scientific advisor Doctor John Smith.

Someone credible like that.

Edited by Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

Just finished watching this. Although I found it interesting to watch, I viewed it just as entertainment not factual. But if someone

can produce evidence, I'm open to changing my opinion/mind.

Does anyone else find it weird that the following logins (who are the biggest proponent for this thread) all have 1 post under their belt. Hrmmmm... wonder if they all have the same ip address. Interesting no?

FranchescoMcGyver,

cclayton000,

Stodolaj1,

thirteenjewels

questionsunanswered

Someone's been busy making new accounts.... :yes:

Edited by AshenPhoenix

IMHO it's a False Flag Opperation.

I tend to be open minded about things like this. Do I believe there are mermaids? Yes, if only they are misidentifications (manitees, dolphins, ect). Is there a possibility that some of our distant ancestors remained in the water and evolved into the mermaids of lore? I'm not discounting anything but reserving belief until sufficient evidence is submitted.

Even then, it's hard to take any 'evidence' into consideration short of seeing the live creature as media is so easily manipulated now a days. But then, animatronics has progressed greatly as well...

I had a tough time figuring this was real or not becuase what happened to the whales in Washington state did happen. So the the show threw me off.

I had a tough time figuring this was real or not becuase what happened to the whales in Washington state did happen. So the the show threw me off.

I'm sure it threw a lot of people off.

I actually found this a rather interesting program. First off the show seemed to have some truth to these events. I personally believe that even though the actors and events are most likely little more than just stories, there is some truth to the legend. Now whether it may be simply a misidentification or a creature lost long ago we may never know. The purpose of this show was to inform the public of the whale beachings and the military involvement with these, and it was incredibly successfull at this. Thats my opinion on it. Agree or disagree with me as you please.

• Like 1

Mermaids: The Body Found is a documentary[1] television film, using actors to play fictitious characters, that originally aired on May 27, 2012, on Animal Planet and June 17 on Discovery Channel. It tells the story of a scientific team's investigative efforts to uncover the source behind mysterious underwater recordings and an unidentified marine body

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaids:_The_Body_Found

Mermaids: The Body Found is a science fiction drama in the form of a documentary television film, using actors to play fictitious characters, that originally aired on ...

Discovery aired an Animal Planet documentary this past weekend called Mermaids: The Body Found. Unfortunately, a mermaid body has not been found, despite many internet crawlers’ assumptions

http://blog.travelchannel.com/the-traveling-type/2012/07/18/mermaid-body-found-not-really-tips-for-traveling-like-a-mermaid/

You first saw "Mermaids: The Body Found" during Animal Planet's monstrous Monster Week line-up, but the two hour documentary-style program recently re-aired on Discovery. Once again, the Animal Planet program, which uses scientific theory and real events to debate whether or not mermaids exist, caused a stir among viewers and the program was trending in the No. 1 spot on Google after airing. It seems the program had many convinced that mermaids could exist (much in the way another popular Animal Planet program, "Finding Bigfoot," explores the possibility that Sasquatch could be real).

http://blogs.discovery.com/bites-animal-planet/2012/07/mermaids-the-body-found-just-how-real-is-it.html?cid=6a00d8341bf67c53ef01774373bba3970d

Read above link for more information.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has clarified and confirmed that no evidence of existence of mermaids has ever been found.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/359391/20120704/mermaids-body-found-real-noaa-pictures.htm

Did any of above really need to be shown to let people know this show was fiction?

• Like 1

I actually watched the entire program when it aired. Very interesting. I also find it interesting that the US Government would deface a "Discovery" Channel website with there logo.

Edited by stevemagegod

My wife was watching this not too long ago and she said the problem with these types of shows is how to tell what is real facts and what is outright lies. Unless you want to accept the whole show as fact, then everything that is broadcast Must Be Suspect as being false.

I actually found this a rather interesting program. First off the show seemed to have some truth to these events. I personally believe that even though the actors and events are most likely little more than just stories, there is some truth to the legend. Now whether it may be simply a misidentification or a creature lost long ago we may never know. The purpose of this show was to inform the public of the whale beachings and the military involvement with these, and it was incredibly successfull at this. Thats my opinion on it. Agree or disagree with me as you please.

The best lies are mostly Truth.

I don't think the point of the show was to inform the public of the miltary sonar testing and whale beachings. That part is only a couple minutes of the two hour show.

• 2 weeks later...

People are always so quick to discount this kind of stuff. The very first scientist to speak on the show is Dr. Paul Robertson. Paul was a scientist for NOAA, but left the agency back in 2005. If this isnt real then why did the U.S government do this to his personal website? http://drpaulrobertson.com Take a look at this site as well, http://believeinmermaids.com This site was put together by Paul and one of the other scientists who spoke on the program. Why are they being covered up? I agree with a lot of what you are saying as far as people believing everything they hear before trying to verify its credibility, for sure! But while everyone is making a joke about the 'mermaid" or "aquatic ape theory" story and whether its tru or not, governments around the world are killing off animals through testing. People, why isn't the issue of whales and dolphins beaching themselves to death all around the world on any given day, not getting ANY attention? Wake up folks, lets think about trying to help stop these types of mass beachings from happening in our world. Lets also start to look into the recent reports (http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=15269793 which is a CREDIBLE report I might add) of birds just falling from the sky and then discovering that their insides are liquefied in many cases, and all dying of blunt trauma? For those of you who think it was the fireworks, that's a joke. I've been to hundreds of fireworks displays and I've never seen that happen before. If you visit the ABC news link and see this for yourself, wait for the second report that plays afterwards, its not just the one video report of the New Years Eve incident, but several others as well. Unfortunately, there are small 30 second ads in between unfortunately, (but I guess bills have to be paid somehow, right?)This is happening frequently now and in many different states around the United States. I think they are testing these weopons on animals to make sure that they work, pure and simple. It must be some hell of a wepon to be able to kill like it does, AND they have the same type of weapon for the ocean too. Something IS going on folks, and personally, I believe that it is some type of new age weapons testing. Thats what I think this is all about, pure and simple. No government is going to be stupid enough to admit any weapon development, or usage, thats not going to happen, for obvious reasons. (you dont invent a kickass weapon, and then let your enemy know you have it) The U.S. still has enemies today, probably more now than we've ever had in the past, there is more to that program than people know, and I think many people missed the most important point of the program.

Yeah but it has an imdb page

That lists the actors

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1816585/

It isn't a real show. The bad acting from the "researchers" should have been a tell to most intelligent viewers. However, my relatives fell for it hook, line and sinker...pun intended

I liked the doco be it real or not but it did make me think some animals did return back to the sea so why not an ape. ?

Physiology.

When this fellow decided to return to a life below the waves about 50 million years ago

ambulocetuscarlbuell.jpg

he evolved into this:

Dorudon_BW.jpg

and then onto this

humpback_whale_margaret_river.jpg

And considering that if you go back only 3 million years, we looked like this

LucySmithsonian.JPG

and because we stayed on land, evolved into this

homosapiens_V1.gif

to suit out environment, so where did these features

waterhouse_a_mermaid.jpg

come from, and what is the purpose? Nothing like other species at all with regards to evolution is it? It a half land half sea creature, Half appears to have evolved on land, and half evolved in the sea. How does that twain meet?

It doesn't. The top bit has evolved to survive in open air, the bottom in water. It is just 2 odd creatures stitched together. But a nice imagination IMHO. I would not object to Mermaids existing if they look like this, no sir.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

It isn't a real show. The bad acting from the "researchers" should have been a tell to most intelligent viewers. However, my relatives fell for it hook, line and sinker...pun intended

No way, someone thought this was a real Doco?

• Like 1

I think mermaids are entirely fictitious.

Likely too much rum on sailing ships with lonely men looking at sea creatures, and, an imaginitive intoxicated sailor to "rock the boat" for some fun.

After all, they would need to surface for air, so we would(currently) see them. Not to mention being caught in large-scale fishing nets.

• Like 1

I think mermaids are entirely fictitious.

Likely too much rum on sailing ships with lonely men looking at sea creatures, and, an imaginitive intoxicated sailor to "rock the boat" for some fun.

After all, they would need to surface for air, so we would(currently) see them. Not to mention being caught in large-scale fishing nets.

I think the old theory of Dugongs has merit, but further to that, and along the same lines, a newer hypothesis has been unveiled that sggested Mermaids were typically found in the Sea of Japan where naked, or near naked and very beautiful Japanese pearl divers called Ama's who had trained themselves to hold their breath for a very long time just happened to be searching for pearls. They might stumble upon a half naked gorgeous pearl diver with unusual features (at the time) and considered them a Sea Creature.

Clothed Ama (Yeah I know, but it's a family board!! )

800px-Ama.jpg