Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mermaids: The Body Found

Keel M.

I think the old theory of Dugongs has merit, but further to that, and along the same lines, a newer hypothesis has been unveiled that sggested Mermaids were typically found in the Sea of Japan where naked, or near naked and very beautiful Japanese pearl divers called Ama's who had trained themselves to hold their breath for a very long time just happened to be searching for pearls. They might stumble upon a half naked gorgeous pearl diver with unusual features (at the time) and considered them a Sea Creature.

Clothed Ama (Yeah I know, but it's a family board!! )

Thanks, I googled for better pics :)

Learn something new every day :)

• 6 months later...

Anyone else watch the Mermaid Further Evidence special last night?

It was pretty compelling, I was not convinced before but now, especially after seeing it come up to the survey sub that was some 1000ft down I believe, and put its "hand" on the glass window and you get a good glimpse of its face and tail as it swam off it has got me believing.

I hope someone posts a full 1080P video of that show, I sure would like go through that part frame by frame and examine it closer.

Edited by Socio

It was pretty compelling, I was not convinced before but now, especially after seeing it come up to the survey sub that was some 1000ft down I believe, and put its "hand" on the glass window and you get a good glimpse of its face and tail as it swam off it has got me believing.

I hope someone posts a full 1080P video of that show, I sure would like go through that part frame by frame and examine it closer.

This show;

http://www.examiner.com/article/mermaids-the-new-evidence-new-special-premiere-s-tonight-on-animal-planet

The new Animal Planet special “Mermaids: The New Evidence” is one of two new mermaid specials premiering tonight as part of “Monster Week”. The new program is a follow up to last year’s hugely successful mockumentary “Mermaids: The Body Found.” The special “Mermaids: The Body Found- The Extended Cut” also debuts tonight. The original special was so convincing that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) issued a public statement in response to the overwhelming number of inquiries about mermaids that followed the show’s airing last year.

The next air dates;

Wednesday, May 29: 10 p.m.

Thursday, May 30: 1 a.m., 5 a.m.

Discovery Channel:

Monday, May 27: 10 p.m.

Tuesday, May 28: 1 a.m.

Dude, seriously?

• Like 1

Had a pleasant chat with my mom on the phone the other day.. until she brought this g-damn show up again. Then we argued about it. I really hate stupid shows like this one that make some people completely believe utter crap. And she's elderly so I should go easy on her.. I should have just agreed with her..

Had a pleasant chat with my mom on the phone the other day.. until she brought this g-damn show up again. Then we argued about it. I really hate stupid shows like this one that make some people completely believe utter crap. And she's elderly so I should go easy on her.. I should have just agreed with her..

Ah Hell....

Blame the people that let Television educate them.....

And/ Or

Blame the people that do not research things from numerous sources before believing things.....

It is frustrating though, isn't it?

palin-cat-slap-the-stupid-out-of-you.jpg?w=490

When the first special about mermaids aired on Animal Planet last year, it fooled so many people that Snopes.com decided to debunk “Mermaids: The Body Found” on its website. The show featured a faux scientist from the National Oceanic And Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), so the organization also tried to distance itself from the mockumentary by releasing a statement saying that “No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found.”

“Mermaids: The New Evidence” probably didn’t fool as many people this time around, but it tried really hard to make believers out of the gullible.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mermaids-the-new-evidence-makes-believers-out-of-a-few

I heard about our government officially saying THERE ARE NO MERMAIDS and I thought why the h*ll would they say that! With ETs they never even officially deny their possible existence, just that there is not evidence for them! This "mermaid thing" must be closer to something else very real that they don't want people to know about in the ocean. Reminds me of the FEMA defense against zombies, give me a break, it's about readiness protection during a rampant deadly viral infection!

I saw the end of that "mermaid body found " show. I could see some remote possibilities of a old species of fish developing arms like a frog, if it were old enough why not more intelligent too, but I'm still not a believer. I do admit I was entertained by the show's wild speculations and maybe 1% of real evidence of something else probably being misinterpreted for entertainment value.

I was exposed to the reality of the subject about 25 years ago when I heard a big fish tail first hand in Florida. The fisherman swore it was true but it was brushed off by authorities as being a seacow sighting. He knew his seacows very well and was involved in their protection so I believed that he truly saw something else.

I never saw one but I try keep an open mind to new species being discovered especially now when the oceans are polluted in so many areas, undiscovered fish may migrate differently. The fisherman turned amateur marine biologist described it as ugly with a crest and webbed fingers not the normally depicted mermaid. He said Barnum had a body that looked like what he saw and the other men saw when they researched the subject with others. He was hoping to catch it someday!

I wonder now what would make a BIG issue of the possibility of the mermaid legend having a link to any real species and any government speaking out that they don't exist?

I smell lots of rats not mermaids!

The whole thing might be related to USOs, genetics or just military research and development tests and not the mermaid speculations as portrayed. I don't know what it is but something FISHY appears to be going on under the oceans that they don't want the public to know about, to make the official statements of denial.

Just a thought

I heard about our government officially saying THERE ARE NO MERMAIDS and I thought why the h*ll would they say that! With ETs they never even officially deny their possible existence, just that there is not evidence for them! This "mermaid thing" must be closer to something else very real that they don't want people to know about in the ocean. Reminds me of the FEMA defense against zombies, give me a break, it's about readiness protection during a rampant deadly viral infection!

I saw the end of that "mermaid body found " show. I could see some remote possibilities of a old species of fish developing arms like a frog, if it were old enough why not more intelligent too, but I'm still not a believer. I do admit I was entertained by the show's wild speculations and maybe 1% of real evidence of something else probably being misinterpreted for entertainment value.

I was exposed to the reality of the subject about 25 years ago when I heard a big fish tail first hand in Florida. The fisherman swore it was true but it was brushed off by authorities as being a seacow sighting. He knew his seacows very well and was involved in their protection so I believed that he truly saw something else.

I never saw one but I try keep an open mind to new species being discovered especially now when the oceans are polluted in so many areas, undiscovered fish may migrate differently. The fisherman turned amateur marine biologist described it as ugly with a crest and webbed fingers not the normally depicted mermaid. He said Barnum had a body that looked like what he saw and the other men saw when they researched the subject with others. He was hoping to catch it someday!

I wonder now what would make a BIG issue of the possibility of the mermaid legend having a link to any real species and any government speaking out that they don't exist?

I smell lots of rats not mermaids!

The whole thing might be related to USOs, genetics or just military research and development tests and not the mermaid speculations as portrayed. I don't know what it is but something FISHY appears to be going on under the oceans that they don't want the public to know about, to make the official statements of denial.

Just a thought

Uhm, the show ( both of them ) are fiction, mockumentaries, not real......

This has been pointed out since the first one aired.......

Do not believe me, write Discovery channel, or just read back, or just google yourself.....

I am sure you will not see this anyway, as it seems more and more people read the title, the first reply, then hit " reply " and ignore everything in between.....

I should re-post the pic that is 3 replies back.....

Uhm, the show ( both of them ) are fiction, mockumentaries, not real......

This has been pointed out since the first one aired.......

Do not believe me, write Discovery channel, or just read back, or just google yourself.....

I am sure you will not see this anyway, as it seems more and more people read the title, the first reply, then hit " reply " and ignore everything in between.....

I should re-post the pic that is 3 replies back.....

You missed my point of where I said I am NOT a believer and I smell lots of rats not mermaids!

I question why the fictional show would warrant an OFFICIAL denial statement by a government when other more popular crypto creatures do not?

Maybe they just don't want the believers to search too closely at the oceans because something else is going on.

I question why the fictional show would warrant an OFFICIAL denial statement by a government when other more popular crypto creatures do not?

because after it aired the Coast Guard et al got a metric tonne of calls about Mermaids from people too stupid to twig it was a work of fiction.

So in order to give themselves a break, they issued an official denial, they had to or the calls would continue to come in. I bet they still do, now it's just calls about the coverups etc.

You missed my point of where I said I am NOT a believer and I smell lots of rats not mermaids!

Maybe they just don't want the believers to search too closely at the oceans because something else is going on.

If people do not know what is going on with our Oceans, from reading about it, including from Government agencies ( who are trying to protect it ) then they are blind.

• Like 1

Right because if the Gummit' hadn't done that, probably like millions of people would head to the beach or out into the water........oh wait....

• Like 1

If people do not know what is going on with our Oceans, from reading about it, including from Government agencies ( who are trying to protect it ) then they are blind.

So I was just doing my normal research the day after a mockumentary when I stumbled across this gem of a post. You may know what's going on in our oceans to an extent... people much stupider than you can read all the same things you do. To imply that you know even a small percentage of what is going on under the waves just completely blows any credibility that your overly inflated post count might manufacture for you. Let me just stress this again... You have no idea what is really going on under the waves, so best to stop pretending that you do.

Anyway, the show was obviously dramatized. The cell phone vid looked entirely fake to me, but do any of us REALLY know? Nope. In fact, I don't buy any of the video personally. My daughter can make a pretty convincing video and she is 12. But facts are facts. We can hardly explain our own evolution let alone pretend to know what has evolved (and why) in the oceans that have been nothing but a mystery to us as a civilization since recorded history.

One thing science has shown us is that life finds a way and pops up in the most unlikely of places. One thing the show has shown us is that regardless of what has been evolving under our nose in the oceans for the past billion years or so, the navy is hurting them. Even if no merfolk exist, this seems to be an indisputable fact. So I guess we can all do what is expected and ignore the obvious while arguing over whether or not merfolk exist.

By the way, this is in fact my first post and please spare me being lumped in with all the other so-called 'fake accounts'. Very rarely do I actually go through the trouble of signing up during research but it was a shame to see the potential for such a rich conversation wrecked by somebody hanging around and letting everyone know how stupid everyone else is. Shame.

Edited by LotusEater

So I was just doing my normal research the day after a mockumentary when I stumbled across this gem of a post. You may know what's going on in our oceans to an extent... people much stupider than you can read all the same things you do. To imply that you know even a small percentage of what is going on under the waves just completely blows any credibility that your overly inflated post count might manufacture for you. Let me just stress this again... You have no idea what is really going on under the waves, so best to stop pretending that you do.

Anyway, the show was obviously dramatized. The cell phone vid looked entirely fake to me, but do any of us REALLY know? Nope. In fact, I don't buy any of the video personally. My daughter can make a pretty convincing video and she is 12. But facts are facts. We can hardly explain our own evolution let alone pretend to know what has evolved (and why) in the oceans that have been nothing but a mystery to us as a civilization since recorded history.

One thing science has shown us is that life finds a way and pops up in the most unlikely of places. One thing the show has shown us is that regardless of what has been evolving under our nose in the oceans for the past billion years or so, the navy is hurting them. Even if no merfolk exist, this seems to be an indisputable fact. So I guess we can all do what is expected and ignore the obvious while arguing over whether or not merfolk exist.

By the way, this is in fact my first post and please spare me being lumped in with all the other so-called 'fake accounts'. Very rarely do I actually go through the trouble of signing up during research but it was a shame to see the potential for such a rich conversation wrecked by somebody hanging around and letting everyone know how stupid everyone else is. Shame.

Did I say I was an expert?

Join a forum and spend 8 years on it, and be active, and you would have a lot of posts also.

And, since you are so great at this, can you point me to where I said people are stupid?

What do I know about the Oceans.....Hmmmm

Where do I live?....What do most people do around here for a living?......Clue, it involves the Ocean.

One of my passions and favorite hobbies, Salmon fishing. I am active in it, and in learning about the populations and what is happening.

The potential for such a rich conversation?.......On a fake documentary?.....This discussion is on some people believing a mockumentary on Mermaids is real. If you call that a " rich conversation " then your idea of a good conversation and mine are diferent.

You ask " do any of us really know ", concerning if this is real.......Yes, some of us do know. It is fact, and it is obvious, and it is stated by Discovery channel.

Sorry to burst your fantasy, but the show is fiction, for entertainment purposes.

Thanks for letting me inflate my post count more......Like I give a **** about that.

Edited by Sakari

Did I say I was an expert?

Join a forum and spend 8 years on it, and be active, and you would have a lot of posts also.

And, since you are so great at this, can you point me to where I said people are stupid?

What do I know about the Oceans.....Hmmmm

Where do I live?....What do most people do around here for a living?......Clue, it involves the Ocean.

One of my passions and favorite hobbies, Salmon fishing. I am active in it, and in learning about the populations and what is happening.

The potential for such a rich conversation?.......On a fake documentary?.....This discussion is on some people believing a mockumentary on Mermaids is real. If you call that a " rich conversation " then your idea of a good conversation and mine are diferent.

You ask " do any of us really know ", concerning if this is real.......Yes, some of us do know. It is fact, and it is obvious, and it is stated by Discovery channel.

Sorry to burst your fantasy, but the show is fiction, for entertainment purposes.

Thanks for letting me inflate my post count more......Like I give a **** about that.

You obviously read the first paragraph and then flew into a rage ignoring the rest where I called it a mockumentary and basically discredited every vid they provided. I'm not the one fantasizing about having intimate knowledge of the ocean. I've worked on the ocean and I will tell you without hesitation that I have NO IDEA what is really going on under there and what was REALLY swimming under the boat. I won't say I ever saw anything resembling merfolk, that never happened. But the ocean is a weird, weird, WEIRD place. Maybe you are young and you really believe you understand the ocean and how it works and what is in the depths. I really believe that you believe that. But you don't and likely never will. Just like me.

Edited by LotusEater

I get the impression that there are at least 2 less people participating in this thread than it appears.

As to the mermaid show, put Jeremy Wade on it. He'll get to the bottom of it.

He's getting to the bottom of the lochness monster hype for his season finale :tu:

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

You obviously read the first paragraph and then flew into a rage ignoring the rest where I called it a mockumentary and basically discredited every vid they provided. I'm not the one fantasizing about having intimate knowledge of the ocean. I've worked on the ocean and I will tell you without hesitation that I have NO IDEA what is really going on under there and what was REALLY swimming under the boat. I won't say I ever saw anything resembling merfolk, that never happened. But the ocean is a weird, weird, WEIRD place. Maybe you are young and you really believe you understand the ocean and how it works and what is in the depths. I really believe that you believe that. But you don't and likely never will. Just like me.

Hey, this is out of your reply :

Anyway, the show was obviously dramatized. The cell phone vid looked entirely fake to me, but do any of us REALLY know?

I guess I took that wrong, but understandibly so wouldn't you say.

Look, your first post on this forum was an attack on me. First impressions......

Again, I never said I was an expert, and I believe we are talking two different things here.

" what is happening to our oceans " ........ My replies are regarding how they are being polluted, over-fished, etc. I was replying to a reply that there is some Government conspiracy for the show, and that the Government does not want us to know about what is really happening to the Oceans. Maybe you missed that.

Of course no one knows what is down in the depths. We are still discovering new things all the time in the Oceans.

As for my age, it is stated right under my avatar.

Hey, this is out of your reply :

I guess I took that wrong, but understandibly so wouldn't you say.

Look, your first post on this forum was an attack on me. First impressions......

Again, I never said I was an expert, and I believe we are talking two different things here.

" what is happening to our oceans " ........ My replies are regarding how they are being polluted, over-fished, etc. I was replying to a reply that there is some Government conspiracy for the show, and that the Government does not want us to know about what is really happening to the Oceans. Maybe you missed that.

Of course no one knows what is down in the depths. We are still discovering new things all the time in the Oceans.

As for my age, it is stated right under my avatar.

I didn't attack you. I attacked your post. Post in a public place, face public scrutiny... right? If you don't want to be attacked for what you wrote, write it on a piece of paper and put it in your pocket.

I just go on alert when I see or hear people act like they have a line on the ocean and can predict it in any way, shape or form. That breeds complacency and that is not a good approach with dealing with the ocean on almost any level. Even wading ankle deep. I'm sure you've seen plenty of kids and feeble adults get pulled to the ground by a rip tide on shore. We... land dwellers... are the minority on this planet.

I didn't attack you. I attacked your post. Post in a public place, face public scrutiny... right? If you don't want to be attacked for what you wrote, write it on a piece of paper and put it in your pocket.

I just go on alert when I see or hear people act like they have a line on the ocean and can predict it in any way, shape or form. That breeds complacency and that is not a good approach with dealing with the ocean on almost any level. Even wading ankle deep. I'm sure you've seen plenty of kids and feeble adults get pulled to the ground by a rip tide on shore. We... land dwellers... are the minority on this planet.

Good Point..... :tu:

As for the rest of our welcome to Um discussion. I hope you see the misunderstanding now.

I am, never have been, and doubt I ever will be an expert on the Oceans. I do know they are threatened, the ecological system, and we are killing it.

That is where I meant " If people do not know what is going on with our Oceans, they are blind "

I would hope everyone new about how bad they are getting, and would hope some are actually concerned.

Anyway, welcome to UM.......be careful how you read things here, sometimes they do not read as the person typing it intended :)

dbl post

Edited by Sakari

Why is it so difficult for people to agree that there may be things that have not yet been discovered. Furthermore, discredit a acedemic based on there personal opinion not fact. The net of the fisherman in the baltic sea clearly shows an arm and webbed hand reaching from the left to the right on the film. The film from the Danish clearly shows a forearm and webbed hand slap the outside of the sub 2000 feet down. The training of the coast guard seeing something go up to surface back down under the boat, if you slow motion the vidio you can see the ridges of the head of the "thing". The subject also has indisputable evidence of audio. So maybe they exist, maybe they don't, just remember we know more about the moon than our own ocean! :innocent::hmm:

Good Point..... :tu:

As for the rest of our welcome to Um discussion. I hope you see the misunderstanding now.

I am, never have been, and doubt I ever will be an expert on the Oceans. I do know they are threatened, the ecological system, and we are killing it.

That is where I meant " If people do not know what is going on with our Oceans, they are blind "

I would hope everyone new about how bad they are getting, and would hope some are actually concerned.

Anyway, welcome to UM.......be careful how you read things here, sometimes they do not read as the person typing it intended :)

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty sure we have very similar outlooks on this situation, so of course we would butt heads a little. Probably not the best way to introduce myself to a new forum but I'm pretty passionate about the earth and it's denizens and I get really nervous if I feel like people are underestimating the ocean. It appears in reading back that I did come off pretty combative and for that I apologize.

But since we on the subject of first impressions... well... your sig and the cat waiting to smack stupid people. Just sayin...

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty sure we have very similar outlooks on this situation, so of course we would butt heads a little. Probably not the best way to introduce myself to a new forum but I'm pretty passionate about the earth and it's denizens and I get really nervous if I feel like people are underestimating the ocean. It appears in reading back that I did come off pretty combative and for that I apologize.

But since we on the subject of first impressions... well... your sig and the cat waiting to smack stupid people. Just sayin...

I guarantee we feel the same about our oceans, and our eco-system.....You may just see that on a number of my posts......Also, look at my signature.( that is on the bottom, the link )

As for the cat, and the other thing you read....Stick around a while, you will see what I mean.