Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British children 'turn to American English'

Still Waters

British children are increasingly using American English in their writing, according to a report based on entries to a BBC short story competition.

Oxford University Press studied around 74,000 entries for Radio 2's 500 Words contest.

Americanisms such as cupcake, garbage truck, trash can, candy, sidewalk and soda were found in many of the entries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-18247748

I had no idea 'cupcake' and 'candy' weren't in general usage in all English speaking countries... I knew that a 'trash can' is called a 'dust bin' someplaces (though trash can seems more descriptive) - and sidewalk sort of surprised me as well...

I had no idea 'cupcake' and 'candy' weren't in general usage in all English speaking countries... I knew that a 'trash can' is called a 'dust bin' someplaces (though trash can seems more descriptive) - and sidewalk sort of surprised me as well...

'trash can' is also called a 'rubbish bin' here, and 'candy' is our 'sweets'.

'trash can' is also called a 'rubbish bin' here, and 'candy' is our 'sweets'.

What do you normally call a 'sidewalk'?

Because of American pop culture being too dominant. We are getting more and more anglicisms in the German language as well, from American English.

• Like 1

A footpath :yes:

I call a 'sidewalk' a 'pavement' :D but it can be either.

It's not 'pavement'? :o

lol! pavement, or footpath, both the same really :)

Been saying it for years... the tabloid press, Hollywood and the Music Industry have a lot to answer for re the "dumbing-down" of kids.

:(

Edited by Eldorado

American -- English is just a Lazy persons Oxford English. Probably suits a lot of UK Kids... with their Playstaions, DS, etc...

Because of American pop culture being too dominant. We are getting more and more anglicisms in the German language as well, from American English.

That's very sad. When I hear American kids talking these days, I can't relate to most of them and more often than not, have no idea what they are saying or if they are even trying to convey a message. It even looks more pathetic when older generations try to fit in. I studied German in college and had a bear of a time with the tenses and pronunciations that are not in English. I would say, try to preserve your native tongue before it gets polluted as there's many Americans that don't appreciate or understand slang and speak the English that we were taught in school.

That's very sad. When I hear American kids talking these days, I can't relate to most of them and more often than not, have no idea what they are saying or if they are even trying to convey a message. It even looks more pathetic when older generations try to fit in. I studied German in college and had a bear of a time with the tenses and pronunciations that are not in English. I would say, try to preserve your native tongue before it gets polluted as there's many Americans that don't appreciate or understand slang and speak the English that we were taught in school.

I agree. I try not to use most anglicisms, especially when there is a complete legit and fine German word as well. I understand that it is easier to adopt a new foreign word, in science for example, but I really do not get why proper German words are getting replaced.

We also use quite a lot of pseudo-anglicisms: Showmaster (presenter), beamer (video-projector) and handy (mobile phone) are just a few of a lot of really weird words.

Languages evolve all the time... With a language as widespread as English, it is inevitable that it morphs into many different 'dialects'...

Just look at American English, We have 'Southern', 'New England', 'Western', 'Mid-Western', 'Yupper' (from the Upper Michigan Peninsula), 'Mid-Western' (which is generally considered 'nuetral accented'), and lord knows what else... Plus Hollywood perpetuates the 'dialects' of "Hick", "Okie", "Texican", "Ebonic" and others... Then factor in other English speaking nations - Austrailia/New Zealand, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland (both Irelands), Canada and all the others, and it's no wonder the language is fragmenting...

Also bear in mind that English is one of the most 'adaptive' languages... Each of the groupings I listed above (and others) get 'loan words' from other languages/dialects... Spanish (and it's derivatives), German, Italian, etc...

The fact that British children are using 'American' words is not - of itself - evidence of the 'dumbing down' of Britian... It's just language evolution...

And we don't care much for the whole 'American English is lazy English' - we prefer 'efficient' and 'streamlined' :D

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Been saying it for years... the tabloid press, Hollywood and the Music Industry have a lot to answer for re the "dumbing-down" of kids.

:(

So British kids using Americanisms is "dumbing down" in your book - interesting.....

So British kids using Americanisms is "dumbing down" in your book - interesting.....

What do you call it when every time enough people spell a word wrong the dictionary gets changed, besides American?

• Like 1

I call it universal...New additions to the Oxford dictionary.

http://blog.oxforddi...s-added-to-odo/

I call it lack of mental discipline that leads to a degeneration of logical thought... but I guess that is me.

• Like 1

I agree. I try not to use most anglicisms, especially when there is a complete legit and fine German word as well. I understand that it is easier to adopt a new foreign word, in science for example, but I really do not get why proper German words are getting replaced.

We also use quite a lot of pseudo-anglicisms: Showmaster (presenter), beamer (video-projector) and handy (mobile phone) are just a few of a lot of really weird words.

Oh I don't know. After all it's been over 200 years since two english speaking countries went to war against one another. Perhaps everyone should eliminate thier languages in favor for American english. :su

Oh I don't know. After all it's been over 200 years since two english speaking countries went to war against one another. Perhaps everyone should eliminate thier languages in favor for American english. :su

Any Brit will tell you that there is no such a thing: There is English and dialects thereof.

• Like 1

No, thank you. While I enjoy speaking English and it's simplicity and universitality, I also enjoy speaking German a lot, even though it is quite complicated, but so poetic. :)

Edit: I would also miss all those girls with cute foreign accents!

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 1