Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amelia Earhart distress call details emerge

Still Waters

Dozens of previously dismissed radio signals were actually credible transmissions from Amelia Earhart, according to a new study of the alleged post-loss signals from Earhart's plane. The transmissions started riding the air waves just hours after Earhart sent her last in-flight message.

The study, presented on Friday at a three day conference by researchers of The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), sheds new light on what may have happened to the legendary aviator 75 years ago. The researchers plan to start a high-tech underwater search for pieces of her aircraft next July.

"Amelia Earhart did not simply vanish on July 2, 1937. Radio distress calls believed to have been sent from the missing plane dominated the headlines and drove much of the U.S. Coast Guard and Navy search," Ric Gillespie, executive director of TIGHAR, told Discovery News.

http://www.msnbc.msn...e/#.T8oYEVLl0dU

Well, I suppose it would be much better to have landed "safely" on a deserted island and died as castaways than crashing into the ocean.

I saw in a show once. A lady in some South Pacific island who was a girl at the times said the Japanese had captured her and believed she was a spy. Later on the same island a US soldier or marine says he saw her plane in a hanger. No sign as to what happened to her though. This same person was told to keep his mouth shut about what he saw... Who knows what happened to her????

I remember hearing a story of some woman who saw Ear hearts grave in Japan.

ooohhh those distress calls were actully distress calls ohhhh ...ediots

Edited by reggie2011

What a horrible shame, we take so much for granted these days but I guess back then alot of things were new and questionable on so many levels. The idea that they may be on an island probably was considered a bit of a reach based on the experience with downed planes they had at the time.

its a shame.

im pretty sure she would have died on impact, in the ocean somewhere.

its a shame.

im pretty sure she would have died on impact, in the ocean somewhere.

There's talk of extracting DNA (gee it must be pretty degraded by now mind you) - I guess we will find out, being a castaway on such a small atoll would have been a death sentence in a few short years - you would think there would be bones, but if they died on the beach, those could have been washed away too I suppose.

There's talk of extracting DNA (gee it must be pretty degraded by now mind you) - I guess we will find out, being a castaway on such a small atoll would have been a death sentence in a few short years - you would think there would be bones, but if they died on the beach, those could have been washed away too I suppose.

not only that but a lot of bird life and sea life would have wanted the calcium etc, from the bones.

that said i cant imagine anyone being able to survive on those small islands for any period of time without any previous survival experience.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Show was unknown mysteries if i can recall right, it played in the late 80's and early 90's.

it said that a lady told the story that Amelia and her copilot landed on an Island after running out of fuel and they were captured and executed by Japanese.

An american soldier who was taken prisener on the same Island said he saw Amelia's Plane but could not get near for a positive identification, he also said he saw two graves that the Japanese said were of two American spys and that he would be buried there too, but he survived.

The greatest mystery about Amelia Earhart was that after her radio went dead her liferaft still had a signal "bip", that it produced every few seconds, the search for her was intensive hundreds of planes and ships were searching for her, every available american army and navy personnel in the area were searching for her without counting the civil ones, they followed the bip produced by her life preserving kit, but everytime they reached the location, there was nothing, and the signal was now a few miles away so they moved to the new location, still nothing and the signal was again in another location, this kept on until the signat faded away.

The ships officers could not explain this, they just could not find her as if she was in another dimension, they could hear her, but could not see her.

I read about this in a book from the 80's named "strange and true stories of the sea."

Interesting, could it have been swallowed by a sea creature and it was swimming around or did it just keep appearing and re-appearing instantly?