Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Puerto Rican Drug Raid

jugoso

The suspects are accused of helping move thousands of pounds of cocaine and several pounds of heroin from Puerto Rico to several U.S. cities including Miami and Newark, New Jersey, from 1999 to 2009, according to the DEA.

Perhaps if the investigation hadn´t lasted ten years, they would have moved a lot less drugs!!

Edited by jugoso

The suspects are accused of helping move thousands of pounds of cocaine and several pounds of heroin from Puerto Rico to several U.S. cities including Miami and Newark, New Jersey, from 1999 to 2009, according to the DEA.

Perhaps if the investigation hadn´t lasted ten years, they would have moved a lot less drugs!!

In Puerto Rico? Yeh, right. It takes five years for the chief of police to find the keys to the gun cabinet. Without guns no investigation.

The best part of this whole number is when they busted the Aguadilla Post Office employees for sending packages of dope. For those not familiar with Aguadilla: within spitting distance of the post office is the biggest office of Homeland Security in the US. Bet the "secret DEA reports" also went through there.

In Puerto Rico? Yeh, right. It takes five years for the chief of police to find the keys to the gun cabinet. Without guns no investigation.

The best part of this whole number is when they busted the Aguadilla Post Office employees for sending packages of dope. For those not familiar with Aguadilla: within spitting distance of the post office is the biggest office of Homeland Security in the US. Bet the "secret DEA reports" also went through there.

From my understanding of the article, it was the DEA who were in charge of the investigation and not PR authorities

From my understanding of the article, it was the DEA who were in charge of the investigation and not PR authorities

Does not change much, attitudes are adoptable, and laisser faire attitudes readily adopted.

Does not change much, attitudes are adoptable, and laisser faire attitudes readily adopted.

So you think it took ten years because of laziness on the DEA's part which rubbed off on them from the lazy Puerto Rican police??

• Like 1

So you think it took ten years because of laziness on the DEA's part which rubbed off on them from the lazy Puerto Rican police??

The DEA had to deal with the locals to move their investigation ahead. That's where they'll run into trouble. They have to move carefully as to not be outed by a corrupt policeman. I imagine the 10 years was necessary to give the proper scope to the operation. You don't want to move until you get all the key people secured... The drug traffickers were using airline maintenance crews to move stuff. It's scary to think "bad guys" have access to every airplane in the tarmac.

• Like 1

The DEA had to deal with the locals to move their investigation ahead. That's where they'll run into trouble. They have to move carefully as to not be outed by a corrupt policeman. I imagine the 10 years was necessary to give the proper scope to the operation. You don't want to move until you get all the key people secured... The drug traffickers were using airline maintenance crews to move stuff. It's scary to think "bad guys" have access to every airplane in the tarmac.

ten years!!!! That´s a pretty big scope. Seems like having the operation drag on so long would put it more at risk. Airplane employees running drugs is pretty common place these days it seems.

I can remember when the government said that the imprisonment of Carlos Lehderer was going to end the drug business. I remember when they said the assassination of Pablo Escobar would end the drug trade. I remember when making a crime out of money laundering was going to end the drug trade.

What up?

• Like 2

I can remember when the government said that the imprisonment of Carlos Lehderer was going to end the drug business. I remember when they said the assassination of Pablo Escobar would end the drug trade. I remember when making a crime out of money laundering was going to end the drug trade.

What up?

That there is no way to stop the trafficking of something a considerable minority uses. Has failed with alcohol, will fail with drugs.

• Like 1

I say legalize, heavily tax to pay for the inevitable health care tsunami it will bring and BURY in prison anyone who uses and takes a life..accidentally or otherwise.

You don't want to move until you get all the key people secured...

33 people suspected of smuggling millions of dollars' worth of drugs aboard commercial flights for at least a decade.

Apart from the arrests in the Caribbean archipelago, two workers at Miami's international airport and another at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport were also arrested

Seems like they snagged some real "big-wigs"

:wacko:

The suspects are accused of helping move some 14 tonnes of cocaine.

Not really that much....only 1.4 tonnes a year

:rofl:

What up?

As long as the demand is there, it'll keep going. The US is the biggest market for illegal narcotics. How do you convince people to stop using cocaine, heroin, etc?

ten years!!!! That´s a pretty big scope. Seems like having the operation drag on so long would put it more at risk. Airplane employees running drugs is pretty common place these days it seems.

The operation had different stages with different goals. I don't think they didn't do anything for 10 years.

The war on drugs is one of the biggest area of waste the US gov't has. The DEA has a 2 billion dollar budget per year, 10,000 employees and another 5,000 agents. This doesn't even include the average prisoner cost, of which a good majority are in for drug related charges, of 30,000 dollars a year. More knowledge and help for citizens who want off drugs may be a better way to spend this money. The legalization of all drugs is probably not the answer, there is no simple solution for this. The current system is definitely not working as it was intended, so some changes must be made. The criminals are getting richer and costing law-abiding citizens more each year in the war on drugs.

• Like 1

As long as the demand is there, it'll keep going. The US is the biggest market for illegal narcotics. How do you convince people to stop using cocaine, heroin, etc?

You cannot stop people from using drugs. The desire to 'alter one's perception'--get high--is normal behavior in humans. A vice, to be sure, but normal behavior. Even other species in the animal kingdom do that. There are films of various animals in Africa allowing the fallen fruit from some big tree to sit on the ground long enough to ferment, and then eat it, getting drunk as hell.

The drug prohibition has been in effect for about a century now--2014 will make it 100 years since The Harrison Narcotic Act was passed. The only thing it has achieved is a hugely bloated authoritarian enforcement bureaucracy and the diminuition of the Bill Of Rights.

There is no legitimate constitutional authority for the government to tell the citizen what he may or may not ingest. The prohibition is illegal, and causes all sorts of social pathologies.

• Like 2

You cannot stop people from using drugs. The desire to 'alter one's perception'--get high--is normal behavior in humans. A vice, to be sure, but normal behavior. Even other species in the animal kingdom do that. There are films of various animals in Africa allowing the fallen fruit from some big tree to sit on the ground long enough to ferment, and then eat it, getting drunk as hell.

The drug prohibition has been in effect for about a century now--2014 will make it 100 years since The Harrison Narcotic Act was passed. The only thing it has achieved is a hugely bloated authoritarian enforcement bureaucracy and the diminuition of the Bill Of Rights.

There is no legitimate constitutional authority for the government to tell the citizen what he may or may not ingest. The prohibition is illegal, and causes all sorts of social pathologies.

I am with you in principle. Sounds wrong to think of someone walking into Walgreens and saying, "I'll have a pack of cigarettes, a bottle of Jack, and a couple of strips of acid". Knowing very well the acid can trigger a psychotic event that can endanger the user's community.

I think it should be illegal to sell some of this stuff.

• Like 1

I say legalize it all, but do not tax it anymore than you tax a gallon of milk. As for the health costs of the junkies....screw 'em, let them pay for their own health care. If they can't pay, well that's just one less junkie.

• Like 1

I say legalize it all, but do not tax it anymore than you tax a gallon of milk. As for the health costs of the junkies....screw 'em, let them pay for their own health care. If they can't pay, well that's just one less junkie.

Such a cold-hearted approach will not survive as a real world solution.

Something about "let's make heroin easy, safe and cheaper to get" that just doesn't sit right with me.

You're very right about not over taxing the substances. That can be counterproductive and usually is. Cigarettes are an example. Some areas tax hard on cigarettes, and then the black market comes into action. Black market should be avoided.