Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saru

The Winchester Mystery House

7 posts in this topic

The Winchester Mystery House

2.jpg

Click here to watch video - 04:40s

Built by rifle heiress Sarah Winchester, this mysterious mansion is said to be haunted by many spirits.

A very odd building indeed...

Posted (edited)

Poor Sarah, driven to obsessive compulsive madness by a clearly fraudulent psychic who had nothing sensible to offer.

The house itself must have driven the workers a little mad as well, trying to keep pace with the nuttier and nuttier demands of their employer. A sad story like that would make anyone think the energy there is pretty bad.

On a side note: I wonder what "Feng Shui" practitioners would have to say about it all.

Edited by libstaK

I would love to visit the Winchester house; my parents have been a few times and my dad told me about it when I was a nipper - it made quite an impact!

Posted (edited)

I've visited the house before, but can't really say I felt anything unusual there. It is an interesting place, though, for sure.

Can be a headache to visit if you're taller than, say, 5'-3". :P

Edited by Lady Kasey

I visited it in 2004. I'm also a gun hobbyist. I found it fascinating that Sarah Winchester ordered that nothing resembling a firearm or cartridge be in or around the house. I kept looking for something resembling either, and found none.

Yet, she didn't feel so guilty that she denied the millions of dollars that sales by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. brought her, after Oliver Winchester died.

She could have denied most of the money, lived a humble life in a small house in San Jose, but noooooooooo ... had to have a massive mansion, dozens of servants, expensive trips, handmade furniture, etc.

She was a first-class hypocrite.

But the building is fascinating. The seance room is fascinating. It's worth visiting if you're in the area of San Jose or San Francisco.

Self fulfilling prophecy if I remember correctly. The day she stops construction is the day she will die.

I believe they stopped building on the day she passed away...

At least that's a brief of it anyways.