Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

Spiders are 'misunderstood' and feared

11 posts in this topic

The creatures inspire a phobia because they are associated with things we expect to fear and we do not understand their behaviour, according to studies.

Professor Jon May, from Plymouth University, said colourful insects like ladybirds were seen as less scary than dark spiders with angular legs.

Their fast movements scuttling across floors into dark corners also tap into deep-rooted fears, it was claimed.

"Spiders just tick all these boxes, and like any phobia, when it builds up in someone’s mind they can become scared even seeing a picture," Professor May told the Daily Mail.

"We like bright-coloured butterflies and ladybirds, but spiders are dark coloured with long angular legs – and the shape and colour both have strong negative associations.

http://www.telegraph...heir-shape.html

Peacock_spider_3.jpg

HUGS!!!!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Peacock_spider_3.jpg

HUGS!!!!

Now who could be afraid of that? Multiple eyes and furry fangs are so attractive. lol

Beauty though!

Edited by QuiteContrary

We should be afraid of spiders because they are evil.

1 person likes this

We should be afraid of spiders because they are evil.

Have you been talking to Fluffybunny?

Poor little spiders...they get such bad press. :cry:

3718116_700b.jpg

pica4u.ru_1227475027_spider_015.jpg

Awwwww.

Nibs

Peacock_spider_3.jpg

HUGS!!!!

That is such a cutie; it's like a fabulous bouffant!

1 person likes this

Honestly, I love so many things that others fear and hate. Snakes for instance. I love snakes, all kinds of snakes, venomous or not. They have always fascinated me ever since I was a small child. When kids my age were reading Dr. Suess I was reading books about snakes, turtles, crocodilians, etc... Now spiders on the other hand, well I don't hate them as much as I just strongly dislike them. I understand that ever creature has a place on this earth, they all serve a purpose. Some spiders are very beautiful as well, they are just freakin creepy. I really didn't have a problem with them until I was bitten in my sleep twice by a large wolf spider. He crawled on me and bit me on my left bicep and then crawled up and bit me on my sternum. I woke up after the second one. While not deadly, it was extremely unconfortable, my bicep swole up quite large, and the itching is horrible. Luckily no infection came about and I healed up, but funny thing is this was 6 years ago and the spot on my sternum will still become itching and inflamed from time to time. Weird.

Mike

Peacock_spider_3.jpg

HUGS!!!!

Has that got four eyes, or what? :w00t:

Has that got four eyes, or what? :w00t:

All the better to look lovingly at you with!