Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia considers crocodile trophy hunting

Still Waters

The federal government rejected a similar proposal several years ago on the grounds that it was not appropriate, but has agreed to revisit the issue as crocodile numbers soar.

Environment Minister Tony Burke said he would not comment until the consultation process, open until July 25, takes its course.

"There are different views among different traditional (Aboriginal land) owners on this and I really want to make sure I get the opportunity to hear those different views," he said.

If approved, it would mean hunters could pay money to kill crocodiles, which the Northern Territory government says will provide jobs for Aborigines – with most crocodile habitat on their land – and stimulate tourism.

http://www.telegraph...nting-plan.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xCrimsonx

• evil_kenshin

• None of the above

• Charlie Prime

I think this is a bad idea. Sprot hunting almost wiped out the American crocodile, and wa srough on the gators. Even today, gator hunting of the largest specimins seems destined to condem the species to dwarfisim. I would recommend agains tAustrelia hunting any but the rare problem specimin thatr is actually in a developed area (and, if possible capturing and relocating).

I would be surpeised it the Aboriginies would be in favor of this. Many considered the crocodiel to be an important spirit animal, and one that should not be harmed. On the other hand, money talks, and may overwhelm their beliefs.

I would be surpeised it the Aboriginies would be in favor of this. Many considered the crocodiel to be an important spirit animal, and one that should not be harmed. On the other hand, money talks, and may overwhelm their beliefs.

Don't think they really care, they are hunting one of our rarest animals the dugong into extinction (non aboriginals are banned from hunting them)

Truth is.,. We are developing closer and closer in land and this part of the country is full of them. We are also in their water's as well. There are so many contributing factors, residents - and their pets are a temptation, we degrade the coast line in turn we limit their menu! It's not fair that this ancient resident has to pay for human expansion. I do believe that the locals have a right to keep the culture and utilize the the crocodile as they used too. The last thing we want Is for non licensed yobbo's to start waving their unregistered guns about! Asking for trouble of you ask me!

Lets hope the Australian people halt this awful idea in it's tracks:

Bad for the crocodiles,

Bad for the image of Australia

Bad for tourism (would you want to take your family to a place where idiots with guns can pay to shoot these incredible creatures?)

In my experience, the Australian people are a common-sense lot, I can't see this happening.

I have to agree withe the SPCA....

"There is no possible conservation benefit to be derived from the killing of crocodiles for trophies, nor does it provide a means of controlling problem crocodiles," said RSPCA Australia chief scientist Bidda Jones.

"This is nothing more than killing animals for entertainment and there is no justification for that."

I have killed hundreds of animals; ...dogs, hogs, rabbits, snakes, etc.

Rationally I understand the thrill a person gets from hunting. I love thrills from things like fast motorcycles and roller coasters. But I never understood the enjoyment in killing. I feel sad every time I have to kill something, even snakes and chickens.

Edited by Charlie Prime

Okay, so I really like the series.,. Swamp People.. Not happy that gators are killed, but I understand the term livelihood and survival.

Crocs can be a menace and relocating can cost the system.

There's is enough metallic shrapnel spread across the north, we don't need dead crocs or the potential for dead public, bystanders, tourists, etc. So much to consider.