Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Allah the same as God in the Bible?

Philangeli

To answer the OP more or less yes. There are different lessions and takes on worldviews to reflect the different culture and time period that Islam was created but it's more or less the same god. After all Abraham wasn't double dealing.

I kind of crudely break it down God's reasoning like this:

Ok Jews you're my chosen people, very special group. Now go out and spread my word. Well? Go on...you're not spreading my word. Yes I know what elite group means I still want you to convert other people. Well maybe if you did you wouldn't get your heads knocked in so much. Ok nuts to this, Christians your up. Now spread that word...yes! Yes look at you go. A whole empire's worth. That's great now just turn east...east...that unconverted part over there. No leave the Jews alone! Ok ok Muslims let's have a go at this. Really focus on the whole converting thing. Yes good job now just...what? No don't go that way! No leave the Christians alone! I already covered that part of the world and...no Christians leave the Muslims alone! Both of you leave the Jews alone! ...screw this I'm starting over on a different planet.

• Like 4

To answer the OP more or less yes. There are different lessions and takes on worldviews to reflect the different culture and time period that Islam was created but it's more or less the same god. After all Abraham wasn't double dealing.

I kind of crudely break it down God's reasoning like this:

Ok Jews you're my chosen people, very special group. Now go out and spread my word. Well? Go on...you're not spreading my word. Yes I know what elite group means I still want you to convert other people. Well maybe if you did you wouldn't get your heads knocked in so much. Ok nuts to this, Christians your up. Now spread that word...yes! Yes look at you go. A whole empire's worth. That's great now just turn east...east...that unconverted part over there. No leave the Jews alone! Ok ok Muslims let's have a go at this. Really focus on the whole converting thing. Yes good job now just...what? No don't go that way! No leave the Christians alone! I already covered that part of the world and...no Christians leave the Muslims alone! Both of you leave the Jews alone! ...screw this I'm starting over on a different planet.

Hahaha world class.

But I wouldn't expect Jesus to be treated much better his 2nd go-round than he was his first. :)

He'd probably be crucified again.

He'd probably be crucified again.

Done illegally?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Answer a few questions if you don't mind

1 - Can you or anyone suggest that God had no dealing with any other prophet after the church put so many books / collections of stories together as a single book naming it the bible? ..

2 - To add - Can anyone seriously suggest that IE Muhammed ( the prophet ) was just making it up and the bible is the only word?

3 - Is God not big enough to fit in all religions? Why just stop at the bible?

4 - If you care to answer any of the above..let me know and hey add the smile again its nice to see someone cheerful today lol :D <-- see you have me at it now !!

PS please note the questions asked are not suggesting you have said anything previously ..They are fresh questions.. thanks

1. Yes, I can suggest it, as there are no more prophets. The last prophet was John the Baptist. Jesus was not a prophet. He was/is the promised Messiah.

2. I'm sure someone can. I don't think he made it up. I suggest he went into trances and tapped into a lot of sub-conscious stuff, which he seriously believed. Also, there are a lot of pesky spirits around who can pretend to be something they are not.

3. I don't think God actually 'fits' into religions, like he's trying on a suit or something. The whole course of human history is part of God' plan (my subjective belief). There was the fall, mankind strayed from God, creating other gods. God made a covenant, starting with the Jews, and fulfilled it in Christ. It was set down in the Bible. We are now in the latter stages of human history, the end game. It may last a few more years, a thousand more, who knows?

4. That's not a question!

Warning: The above is all my personal opinion and personal belief. It is my Subjective Reality. Take it or leave it.

1. Yes, I can suggest it, as there are no more prophets. The last prophet was John the Baptist. Jesus was not a prophet. He was/is the promised Messiah.

2. I'm sure someone can. I don't think he made it up. I suggest he went into trances and tapped into a lot of sub-conscious stuff, which he seriously believed. Also, there are a lot of pesky spirits around who can pretend to be something they are not.

3. I don't think God actually 'fits' into religions, like he's trying on a suit or something. The whole course of human history is part of God' plan (my subjective belief). There was the fall, mankind strayed from God, creating other gods. God made a covenant, starting with the Jews, and fulfilled it in Christ. It was set down in the Bible. We are now in the latter stages of human history, the end game. It may last a few more years, a thousand more, who knows?

4. That's not a question!

Warning: The above is all my personal opinion and personal belief. It is my Subjective Reality. Take it or leave it.

am just curious .. what is the origin of the word " Messiah " ?

also .. jesus describes him self as prophet in the holy bible

Edited by Knight Of Shadows

am just curious .. what is the origin of the word " Messiah " ?

Try Googling it.

also .. jesus describes him self as prophet in the holy bible

He never actually said, 'I am a prophet'. He did possess the attributes of a prophet, and was often considered to be a prophet, but he was a lot more than that (the Son of God, the second Person of the Trinity).

Edited by Philangeli

<< Luke 4:22-24 >>

"22" All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips. "Isn't this Joseph's son?" they asked.

"23" Jesus said to them, "Surely you will quote this proverb to me: 'Physician, heal yourself! Do here in your hometown what we have heard that you did in Capernaum.'

"24" "I tell you the truth," he continued, "no prophet is accepted in his hometown.

you said he was not a prophet am just addressing it

<< Luke 4:22-24 >>

"22" All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips. "Isn't this Joseph's son?" they asked.

"23" Jesus said to them, "Surely you will quote this proverb to me: 'Physician, heal yourself! Do here in your hometown what we have heard that you did in Capernaum.'

"24" "I tell you the truth," he continued, "no prophet is accepted in his hometown.

you said he was not a prophet am just addressing it

I repeat:

He never actually said, 'I am a prophet'.

John the Baptist prophesized that the Messiah would come soon, which he did.

Jesus had the attributes of a prophet (seeing the future, etc), but he didn't prophesize there would be another Messiah to follow him, as he was the Messiah.

In the sense, then, of the Biblical prophets telling of the Messiah who was to come, John was the last.

I repeat:

He never actually said, 'I am a prophet'.

John the Baptist prophesized that the Messiah would come soon, which he did.

Jesus had the attributes of a prophet (seeing the future, etc), but he didn't prophesize there would be another Messiah to follow him, as he was the Messiah.

In the sense, then, of the Biblical prophets telling of the Messiah who was to come, John was the last.

are you sure you read the passage above ?

he never said " I am god " eiather ..

are you sure you read the passage above ?

he never said " I am god " eiather ..

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

John 8:58

That's close enough for me, bro.

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

John 8:58

That's close enough for me, bro.

yeah and my passage is also enough to logical mind to say that jesus described him self as prophet

you said he didn't say " i am prophet " and i say he didn't exactly say " i am god "

so to take a hint from part of the bible .. and leave another does not gives us complete image

That's impossible, based on the scriptures as well as the Koran (Qur'an) . With, "Jesus" no one comes to the father except through me. The Koran (Qur'an) doesn't see it that way however. So no, "Allah" is not the same god that Jesus referenced.

• Like 1

yeah and my passage is also enough to logical mind to say that jesus described him self as prophet

you said he didn't say " i am prophet " and i say he didn't exactly say " i am god "

so to take a hint from part of the bible .. and leave another does not gives us complete image

The 'I Am' = Yahweh = God.

OK, I will concede that Jesus was 'also' a prophet (in the same way as he was also called a physician, healer and teacher), but I reiterate - not in the Biblical sense of a prophet who spoke of the Messiah to come.

Of course you can to yourself and to other Christians that hold the SAME belief..but that's about it.. Others will not feel you are correct.. Key word here ( again ) is beliefs this is and has been my point

2. I'm sure someone can.

Like who? And what hard evidence would they need to do that ?

Also, there are a lot of pesky spirits around who can pretend to be something they are not.

Interesting...You are now suggesting out of your own mind that - The prophet Muhammed could have had pesky spirits that tricked him?

Like the pesky spirits that influenced the bible authors and influenced man to put it all together ..making sure a lot followed it.. KNOWING it was the wrong path?

Knowing fine well if they temp you all enough, you will all suffer and your souls in the end will not go to where you think ? Its all about the souls right?

All they had to do is put in some promises in with the bad OT style ( that's what pesky spirits are supposed to do ) ..add in some goodness to keep you interested.. but al the while make you think it is the right way... The pesky spirits can make you feel it is the only way and they can tell you that if anyone says likewise.. they are troubled and not you <-- heck I would do it if I were a ' Pesky spirit ' lol... Try proving it wrong though.. I am betting not in a million years..................It is said buy manys of believers that the peskiest of spirits even the devil can trick man...

Making you feel good is part of the trcikery.. temptation and keep telling you it is right. mess with mind and heart . go for it... How can you know if they are making you feel it is right?

In the meantime tell you that people like Muhammed could have Pesky Spirits too.....Heck why stop there... these pesky spirits can tell you that all religions are influenced by other pesky spirits.. but tell you that Jesus will stop them...knowing that God no longer and will not interfere..Well lets face it...if God wanted to interfere, he wouldn't allow pesky spirits to get involved.he wouldn't allow them to have that pesky power to do it..as you think there are, looks to me like God doesn't care lol.. Get you all to slug it out. .....Get you all to battle who's God is best and who has pesky spirits........Get you all to condemn each other, judge one and other ( well lets face it Christianity has so many branches within it no one seems to agree .. ..pesky spirits dream lol ) ... and mix it all up with one promise to tempt you.. <-- could well be a pesky spirits dream....while the pesky spirits lap it all up........Again proving that wrong would be a belter of a task..!!

3. I don't think God actually 'fits' into religions, like he's trying on a suit or something.

You mention trying on a suit... I call it - A suit that has a divine label that reads - One size fits all lol ...

I say that because I feel god is almighty enough to accomadate all in his own way...I do not limit God.. I am aware man followed God long before we saw a man made bible or any holy book...

4. That's not a question

I know. the no 4 was a typo...I noticed it long after...by then it was too late to edit at the time..

No need to say it like a warning.. I know and I fully understand that all you hold are beliefs..I noted that in previous posts.. We all have our personal views and beliefs.. I gave you those questions to show it was beliefs ...and got the chance to share with you some of my own beliefs... Call it.. sharing beliefs.. I liked it.. Thank you And no I am not being sarcastic.. I mean it.. It was interesting to post questions and get honest answers.. so cheers..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

That's impossible, based on the scriptures as well as the Koran (Qur'an) . With, "Jesus" no one comes to the father except through me. The Koran (Qur'an) doesn't see it that way however. So no, "Allah" is not the same god that Jesus referenced.

Good point.. But also to add .. How Christians ( many of them ) refer to Jesus as God.. Muslims don't call Jesus God..so that must make Allah and Jesus not the same god

" Say (O Muhammad saws.gif): "We believe in Allah and in what has been sent down to us, and what was sent down to Ibrahim (Abraham), Isma'il (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Ya'qub (Jacob) and Al-Asbat [the twelve sons of Ya'qub (Jacob)] and what was given to Musa (Moses), 'Iesa (Jesus) and the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between one another among them and to Him (Allah) we have submitted (in Islam)."

Sums this up well.

Edited by Uncle Pockets

" Say (O Muhammad saws.gif): "We believe in Allah and in what has been sent down to us, and what was sent down to Ibrahim (Abraham), Isma'il (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Ya'qub (Jacob) and Al-Asbat [the twelve sons of Ya'qub (Jacob)] and what was given to Musa (Moses), 'Iesa (Jesus) and the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between one another among them and to Him (Allah) we have submitted (in Islam)."

Sums this up well.

Nice words. Pity he didn't actually put them into practice.

*slaps face*

In what way?

Have you read the Hadith? There are plenty of examples there, where he didn't exactly call on the Jews and Christians with a home baked apple pie and a 'Howdy neighbour!'

Have you read the Hadith? There are plenty of examples there, where he didn't exactly call on the Jews and Christians with a home baked apple pie and a 'Howdy neighbour!'

I am well aware of how the Prophet pbuh treated others. He was the best of character. People would have ran away from him if he wasn't.

As far as neighbors go. There is a Hadith on that

Mujahid reported that a sheep was slaughtered for 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr. He asked his slave, 'Have you given any to our Jewish neighbour? Have you given any to our Jewish neighbour? I heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, 'Jibril kept on recommending that I treat my neighbours well until I thought that he would order me to treat them as my heirs.'"

I am well aware of how the Prophet pbuh treated others. He was the best of character. People would have ran away from him if he wasn't.

As far as neighbors go. There is a Hadith on that

Mujahid reported that a sheep was slaughtered for 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr. He asked his slave, 'Have you given any to our Jewish neighbour? Have you given any to our Jewish neighbour? I heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, 'Jibril kept on recommending that I treat my neighbours well until I thought that he would order me to treat them as my heirs.'"

Then surely you are aware of these verses from the Hadith, showing how 'neighbourly' he was.

Sahih Muslim (1:33) The Messenger of Allah said: "I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer and pay zakat."

Sahih Muslim (19:4294) - "When you meet your enemies who are polytheists (which includes Christians), invite them to three courses of action. If they respond to any one of these, you also accept it and withhold yourself from doing them any harm. Invite them to (accept) Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them ... If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah's help and fight them"

Bukhari (8:387) - "Allah's Apostle said, 'I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.' And if they say so, pray like our prayers, face our Qibla and slaughter as we slaughter, then their blood and property will be sacred to us and we will not interfere with them except legally and their reckoning will be with Allah.'"

Bukhari (53:392) - "While we were in the Mosque, the Prophet came out and said, "Let us go to the Jews" We went out till we reached Bait-ul-Midras. He said to them, "If you embrace Islam, you will be safe. You should know that the earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle, and I want to expel you from this land. So, if anyone amongst you owns some property, he is permitted to sell it, otherwise you should know that the Earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle."

Bukhari (2:24) - "Allah's Apostle said: "I have been ordered (by Allah) to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's Apostle, and offer the prayers perfectly and give the obligatory charity, so if they perform a that, then they save their lives and property from me except for Islamic laws and then their reckoning (accounts) will be done by Allah."

Bukhari (60:80) - "The Verse:--'You (true Muslims) are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind.' means, the best of peoples for the people, as you bring them with chains on their necks till they embrace Islam."

Bukhari (60:40) - "...:And fight them till there is no more affliction (i.e. no more worshiping of others along with Allah)." 'Affliction' of Muslims is explicitly defined here being a condition in which others worship a different god other than Allah. Muslims are commanded to use violence to 'rectify' the situation.

Bukhari (59:643) - "Testify that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah, or else I will chop off your neck!" Words of a military leader that Muhammad sent on an expedition with the mission of destroying a local religion in Yemen.

Then surely you are aware of these verses from the Hadith, showing how 'neighbourly' he was.

Sahih Muslim (1:33) The Messenger of Allah said: "I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer and pay zakat."

Sahih Muslim (19:4294) - "When you meet your enemies who are polytheists (which includes Christians), invite them to three courses of action. If they respond to any one of these, you also accept it and withhold yourself from doing them any harm. Invite them to (accept) Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them ... If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah's help and fight them"

Bukhari (8:387) - "Allah's Apostle said, 'I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.' And if they say so, pray like our prayers, face our Qibla and slaughter as we slaughter, then their blood and property will be sacred to us and we will not interfere with them except legally and their reckoning will be with Allah.'"

Bukhari (53:392) - "While we were in the Mosque, the Prophet came out and said, "Let us go to the Jews" We went out till we reached Bait-ul-Midras. He said to them, "If you embrace Islam, you will be safe. You should know that the earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle, and I want to expel you from this land. So, if anyone amongst you owns some property, he is permitted to sell it, otherwise you should know that the Earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle."

Bukhari (2:24) - "Allah's Apostle said: "I have been ordered (by Allah) to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's Apostle, and offer the prayers perfectly and give the obligatory charity, so if they perform a that, then they save their lives and property from me except for Islamic laws and then their reckoning (accounts) will be done by Allah."

Bukhari (60:80) - "The Verse:--'You (true Muslims) are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind.' means, the best of peoples for the people, as you bring them with chains on their necks till they embrace Islam."

Bukhari (60:40) - "...:And fight them till there is no more affliction (i.e. no more worshiping of others along with Allah)." 'Affliction' of Muslims is explicitly defined here being a condition in which others worship a different god other than Allah. Muslims are commanded to use violence to 'rectify' the situation.

Bukhari (59:643) - "Testify that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah, or else I will chop off your neck!" Words of a military leader that Muhammad sent on an expedition with the mission of destroying a local religion in Yemen.

That site is very,very poor and wouldn't be the best of quotes. If you're going to quote Bukhari or Muslim please do get a better source as that website seems as if someone may have added a few words for their own agenda.

I will share the quotes from an e-book of Bukhari & Muslim as I do not have all of these volumes. Only saw issue with 3 so will quote those.

Bukhari (59:643)

Bukhari :: Book 5 :: Volume 59 :: Hadith 643

Narrated Qais:

Jarir said "Allah's Apostle said to me, "Won't you relieve me from Dhul-Khalasa?" I replied, "Yes, (I will relieve you)." So I proceeded along with one-hundred and fifty cavalry from Ahmas tribe who were skillful in riding horses. I used not to sit firm over horses, so I informed the Prophet of that, and he stroke my chest with his hand till I saw the marks of his hand over my chest and he said, O Allah! Make him firm and one who guides others and is guided (on the right path).' Since then I have never fallen from a horse. Dhul-l--Khulasa was a house in Yemen belonging to the tribe of Khatham and Bajaila, and in it there were idols which were worshipped, and it was called Al-Ka'ba." Jarir went there, burnt it with fire and dismantled it. When Jarir reached Yemen, there was a man who used to foretell and give good omens by casting arrows of divination. Someone said to him. "The messenger of Allah's Apostle is present here and if he should get hold of you, he would chop off your neck." One day while he was using them (i.e. arrows of divination), Jarir stopped there and said to him, "Break them (i.e. the arrows) and testify that None has the right to be worshipped except Allah, or else I will chop off your neck." So the man broke those arrows and testified that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah. Then Jarir sent a man called Abu Artata from the tribe of Ahmas to the Prophet to convey the good news (of destroying Dhu-l-Khalasa). So when the messenger reached the Prophet, he said, "O Allah's Apostle! By Him Who sent you with the Truth, I did not leave it till it was like a scabby camel." Then the Prophet blessed the horses of Ahmas and their men five times.

Also have a problem with the second one quoted from Muslim with whoever stated that it applies to Christians.

Muslim :: Book 19 : Hadith 4294

It has been reported from Sulaiman b. Buraid through his father that when the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) appointed anyone as leader of an army or detachment he would especially exhort him to fear Allah and to be good to the Muslims who were with him. He would say: Fight in the name of Allah and in the way of Allah. Fight against those who disbelieve in Allah. Make a holy war, do not embezzle the spoils; do not break your pledge; and do not mutilate (the dead) bodies; do not kill the children. When you meet your enemies who are polytheists, invite them to three courses of action. If they respond to any one of these, you also accept it and withold yourself from doing them any harm. Invite them to (accept) Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them. Then invite them to migrate from their lands to the land of Muhairs and inform them that, if they do so, they shall have all the privileges and obligations of the Muhajirs. If they refuse to migrate, tell them that they will have the status of Bedouin Muilims and will be subjected to the Commands of Allah like other Muslims, but they will not get any share from the spoils of war or Fai' except when they actually fight with the Muslims (against the disbelievers). If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah's help and fight them. When you lay siege to a fort and the besieged appeal to you for protection in the name of Allah and His Prophet, do not accord to them the guarantee of Allah and His Prophet, but accord to them your own guarantee and the guarantee of your companions for it is a lesser sin that the security given by you or your companions be disregarded than that the security granted in the name of Allah and His Prophet be violated When you besiege a fort and the besieged want you to let them out in accordance with Allah's Command, do not let them come out in accordance with His Command, but do so at your (own) command, for you do not know whether or not you will be able to carry out Allah's behest with regard to them.

A third problem I have is with the one from 60:40

Bukhari :: Book 6 :: Volume 60 :: Hadith 40

Narrated Nafi':

During the affliction of Ibn Az-Zubair, two men came to Ibn 'Umar and said, "The people are lost, and you are the son of 'Umar, and the companion of the Prophet, so what forbids you from coming out?" He said, "What forbids me is that Allah has prohibited the shedding of my brother's blood." They both said, "Didn't Allah say, 'And fight then until there is no more affliction?" He said "We fought until there was no more affliction and the worship is for Allah (Alone while you want to fight until there is affliction and until the worship become for other than Allah."

Narrated Nafi (through another group of sub-narrators): A man came to Ibn 'Umar and said, "O Abu Abdur Rahman! What made you perform Hajj in one year and Umra in another year and leave the Jihad for Allah' Cause though you know how much Allah recommends it?" Ibn 'Umar replied, "O son of my brother! Islam is founded on five principles, i.e. believe in Allah and His Apostle, the five compulsory prayers, the fasting of the month of Ramadan, the payment of Zakat, and the Hajj to the House (of Allah)." The man said, "O Abu Abdur Rahman! Won't you listen to why Allah has mentioned in His Book: 'If two groups of believers fight each other, then make peace between them, but if one of then transgresses beyond bounds against the other, then you all fight against the one that transgresses. (49.9) and:--"And fight them till there is no more affliction (i.e. no more worshiping of others along with Allah)." Ibn 'Umar said, "We did it, during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle when Islam had only a few followers. A man would be put to trial because of his religion; he would either be killed or tortured. But when the Muslims increased, there was no more afflictions or oppressions." The man said, "What is your opinion about 'Uthman and 'Ali?" Ibn 'Umar said, "As for 'Uthman, it seems that Allah has forgiven him, but you people dislike that he should be forgiven. And as for 'Ali, he is the cousin of Allah's Apostle and his son-in-law." Then he pointed with his hand and said, "That is his house which you see."

I quoted those three from the e-books of the two collections

It reads a lot of fighting...a lot of wanting to force religion on to others... Not good at all

Sounds like the same genocidal narcissistic madman as the bible to me.

• Like 1