Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rock and Roll Hall of Shame

I was surfing the internet just a bit ago and came to the startling discovery that one of the greatest Rock and Roll bands of all time is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

The Moody Blues...

The Moodies are not the only such band, ostracized by the Hall... check out this list...

KISS

Depeche Mode

The Cure

Chicago

Hall and Oates

Rush

Alice Cooper

Moody Blues

E.L.O.

Cheap Trick

Bad Company

Peter Frampton

Heart

T-Rex

Bon Jovi

Journey

Foreigner

Public Enemy

Red Hot Chili Peppers...

In order to be eligible for the Hall, it must be at least 25 years since their first recording...

The Moodies passed this time limit in the early 1990's...

Here is an excerpt from an on-line mag called "Goldmine"

"No major band has so relentlessly purveyed nonsense…were it not for their titanic success, in fact, they might easily be dismissed as an odd and overlong joke…

it’s the artiness of their symphonic rock that’s truly crass, their self-importance offensive. Gods of 70s FM radio, they invented a sort of easy-listening psychedelia

that resolutely combined the worst of both worlds.”

So wrote Paul Evans in the fourth edition of “The Rolling Stone Album Guide,” which then proceeded to rate the band’s big seven albums, the first getting a

respectable three stars, the next six getting one and one-half stars, except for one which got just one star. The rating guide lists one star as “DISASTROUS:

Albums in the range of one star or less are wastes of vital resources. Only masochists and completists need apply.”

Folks, now you know why the Moody Blues are not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. "

http://www.goldminemag.com/features/the-moody-blues-voices-in-the-sky-but-not-in-the-hall-of-fame

The bottom line is that the RRHOF is controlled by Rolling Stone Magazine... And the powers that be at Rolling Stone don't think the Moodies are 'cool enough' to be in their hall...

I personally think this is a shame and a travesty ... It's not just because I really - REALLY like the Moodies... Lets look at their qualifications:

16 non-compilation studio albums...

6 Live concert albums...

70+ million copies sold world wide..

14 Platinum and Gold Albums...

nearly 50 years as a band and still selling out concerts...

If not for the Moody Blues influence - the Beatles would not have been able to change their sound on their later albums (introduction to the Mellotron)...

Their 'core seven albums' (Days of Future Past, In Search of the Lost Chord, On The Threshold of a Dream, To Our Children's Children's Children, A Question of Balance, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour and Seventh Sojurn) each out sold the preceding albums, and have given the music world several iconic R&R songs...

They were essentially the founding members of 'Progressive Rock' and for this Rolling Stone has never forgiven them..

Shame on you Rolling Stone...

Your thoughts?

I never liked the Moody Blues myself....

Now Kiss and Rush, they should be in there......

But again, look at the list of whom is in there, and I have issues calling some of it " Rock and Roll ".

One example ( of many ) ..... The Bee Gee's.

Really? Rock and Roll?

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

Used to subscribe as a kid, then tried it again 20 years later. Not a Rolling Stone mag fan. Pompous, glitzy, and sold out whatever heart and soul and music focus it (some of its writers) arguably may have had early on.

I never liked the Moody Blues myself....

But again, look at the list of whom is in there, and I have issues calling some of it " Rock and Roll ".

Yeah, wasn't T Rex some one hit "wonder"?

• Like 1

I personally never liked the Moody Blues, I saw them once in concert and slept through the entire show pretty much.

The ones that should be there for sure are:

Heart

Yes

Kiss

Rush

Those are the big four snubs in my book.

I also think Cheap Trick and Alice Cooper should be there too.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Yeah, wasn't T Rex some one hit "wonder"?

You might only know Bang-a-Gong, but for those who are fans of glam rock from that era, they know T-Rex had a pretty good body of work actually. Do I think they belong in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? Ummm... I'm not sure, but I can say I think they belong there more than some of the others who have been inducted who aren't rock and roll artists at all.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are being inducted into it this year, I thought.

To be honest, some of the other bands in the list are not leaders of their genre. Not so innovative, not the most popular, kind of securely placed in the lower end of the top, in my opinion.

edit: Oops, looks like it already happened; the RHCP inducted into the hall this year. So that's one off the list.

Edited by _Only

You might only know Bang-a-Gong, but for those who are fans of glam rock from that era, they know T-Rex had a pretty good body of work actually. Do I think they belong in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? Ummm... I'm not sure, but I can say I think they belong there more than some of the others who have been inducted who aren't rock and roll artists at all.

You are right, I don't remember their other songs. I'll have to give them a listen. Maybe I will recognize some.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were the Moody Blues influential at all?

I like The Moody Blues, I think they should be there. If Neil Diamond, ABBA, Miles Davis, Righteous Brothers, Brenda Lee, Paul Simon, Nat :King" Cole, Billie Holiday, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Jelly Roll Morton, The Jackson 5, Etta James, Dinah Washington, Johnny Cash, Louie Armstrong, Bobby Darin, Dion, Bessie Smith, Woody Guthrie, Marvin Gay, B B King, and some more have been inducted, why not The Moody Blues?

I think the R&R Hall of Fame is pretty much a joke, anyway.

I think the R&R Hall of Fame is pretty much a joke, anyway.

How I feel about awards in general: Forget them, I'll like what I want to like, forget the politics, favors, and critics.

Exhibits are cool, but you can't make me agree who deserves what according to some committee.

• Like 1

Kiss and Rush top my list for sure

RRHOF selections seem completely random and biased. What's important is how the fans feel about the the music as individuals.

Edited by little_dreamer

I may be in trouble for this, but, Kiss??

• Like 1

I may be in trouble for this, but, Kiss??

Just this one small tidbit alone should be enough.......

The band has sold more than 40 million albums in the United States, of which 20 million have been certified by the RIAA[3] and their worldwide sales exceeds 100 million albums

• Like 1

Kiss, Alice Cooper and RHCP.,...are not in the R n R HOF??? That's blasphemy. ;/

I'm really surprised that Alice Cooper isn't already in there and on a personal level, I'd like to see Procol Harum inducted too!

George Thorogood is another one. I suppose it depends on one's definition of Rock and Roll. If we consider Chuck Berry's and Little Richard's music as original and true R&R, then only artists who follow their style would be playing real R&R.

As the music evolved, how far away from Berry and Richard can we go to consider it Rock and Roll?

Edited by StarMountainKid

I'll give my opinion on your list:

The Moodies are not the only such band, ostracized by the Hall... check out this list...

KISS - Should be in

Depeche Mode - I guess (was never a fan)

The Cure - Should be in

Chicago - No doubt they should be in

Hall and Oates - I don't think so.

Rush - They should be in

Alice Cooper - He should be in

Moody Blues - Of course they should be in

E.L.O. - I would put them in

Cheap Trick - Not sure

Bad Company - Yes

Peter Frampton - Yes

Heart - Yes

T-Rex - No

Bon Jovi - Yes

Journey - Yes of course

Foreigner - Yes of course

Public Enemy - No

Red Hot Chili Peppers... - Yes

I would also put Yes in without question.

What about Jethro Tull, Boston and Emerson Lake and Palmer? If Pink Floyd can get in, why not ELP?

Rush 100%.

Record sales show popularity-- is that a sufficient qualification? (i'm thinking David Cassidy). I remember KISS as popular make-out music in junior high. Does that count?

It sure did back then. :blush:

That's what's great about music, there is something for everyone. And debates are inevitable and passionate.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

The Scorpions ?

46 years performing....The band sold over 100 million albums ( more than twice as many as Rush ).....And 46 fricken years!!!!

As said, the rock and roll hall of fame is not rock and roll.....Bee Gee's?.....Really?

• Like 1

If Pink Floyd can get in, why not ELP?

I think popularity is a big factor. Go down the street and ask random people who the band Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, or ELP, is (I had to look them up myself). Then ask who Pink Floyd is. I think that's a decent gauge on whether a band is more hall of fame worthy.

Yes, it seems popularity is a big factor, but in quality of music it means nothing, of course. I guess it's hard to define what Rock and Roll is. If R&R is Chuck Berry, is it also Pink Floyd?

Then there some bands that sound like R&R, but don't have the soul or serenity. It takes some experience and knowledge to discern the difference. That's why I listed Kiss, for example. It sounds like R&R, so it must be the real thing, right? I think not.

The Scorpions ?

46 years performing....The band sold over 100 million albums ( more than twice as many as Rush ).....And 46 fricken years!!!!

As said, the rock and roll hall of fame is not rock and roll.....Bee Gee's?.....Really?

Ya, I'll vote for the Scorps too.. although I really don't like them, I've seen them live 4 or 5 times, but they aren't really my cup of tea still. They do still have a few spots on my iPod too... but it's pretty rare that I don't skip the songs when they come on. But they still deserve a spot.

Ya, I'll vote for the Scorps too.. although I really don't like them, I've seen them live 4 or 5 times, but they aren't really my cup of tea still. They do still have a few spots on my iPod too... but it's pretty rare that I don't skip the songs when they come on. But they still deserve a spot.

Their current drummer James Kottak will always have a spot in my hall of fame. He has his own little rock n roll/punk band Kottak (it used to be Krunk) where he plays guitar and sings. I saw them back in 2000 or so at the Warped Tour, as a little side band on a tiny stage in the booth area. My friend and I were pretty much the only two watching them play, and we stayed the whole time and loved them. After their set he thanked us for watching them and gave us both a free CD. I will always remember that as a great moment. I loved that CD, but lost it a long time ago, and remembered it recently. Oddly enough, I found it on Amazon last week, and the CD just came today!

But I didn't know until 10+ years later that he was now in The Scorpions as their drummer. And the drummer of his band I saw that day back at the Warped Tour was Tommy Lee's from Motley Crue's sister, lol. Time to listen to that CD. I haven't yet.