Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rock and Roll Hall of Shame

The Scorpions ?

46 years performing....The band sold over 100 million albums ( more than twice as many as Rush ).....And 46 fricken years!!!!

As said, the rock and roll hall of fame is not rock and roll.....Bee Gee's?.....Really?

Scorpions should be in without question. I used to have all their albums (or tapes). Blackout was my favorite.

Everybody's going to get in eventually. It seemed cool at first but has devolved into more of a joke for me. On a side note... Devo should be in lol.

Devo should be in lol.

I'd vote for Devo and the B-52's as well.

Also King Crimson.

Edited by StarMountainKid

[/sup][/size]

I'd vote for Devo and the B-52's as well.

Also King Crimson.

Why would you vote for Devo?

Well, looking at who gets in and who doesn't get in, why not Devo? I know I'd rather listen to Devo than Neil Diamond or Bobby Darin.

I'll give my opinion on your list:

The Moodies are not the only such band, ostracized by the Hall... check out this list...

KISS - Should be in

Depeche Mode - I guess (was never a fan)

The Cure - Should be in

Chicago - No doubt they should be in

Hall and Oates - I don't think so.

Rush - They should be in

Alice Cooper - He should be in

Moody Blues - Of course they should be in

E.L.O. - I would put them in

Cheap Trick - Not sure

Bad Company - Yes

Peter Frampton - Yes

Heart - Yes

T-Rex - No

Bon Jovi - Yes

Journey - Yes of course

Foreigner - Yes of course

Public Enemy - No

Red Hot Chili Peppers... - Yes

I would also put Yes in without question.

The list I got (that you commented on) was from another site, not my list... But I agree with your assessment completely...

It does seem (to me at least) that if there is going to be an 'Official' R&R HOF, there should be ironclad standards and requirements... so far as i can find out, the only requirements for this one are that the band be at least 25 years old, and that Rolling Stone magazine 'reporters' think they are cool...

So far as Devo goes... I am not (nor was I ever) a fan - but Yes They should be in as well... So should ELP - who I am a fan of...

Playboy Magazine does (or at least did) a better job of it...

The list I got (that you commented on) was from another site, not my list... But I agree with your assessment completely...

It does seem (to me at least) that if there is going to be an 'Official' R&R HOF, there should be ironclad standards and requirements... so far as i can find out, the only requirements for this one are that the band be at least 25 years old, and that Rolling Stone magazine 'reporters' think they are cool...

So far as Devo goes... I am not (nor was I ever) a fan - but Yes They should be in as well... So should ELP - who I am a fan of...

Playboy Magazine does (or at least did) a better job of it...

I guess I was just never into Devo. They had the one catchy hit (Whip It), but I don't recall much more. I would not put them in.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer should be in. In 1974 they were the second highest grossing act in the world behind only Led Zeppelin.

I guess I was just never into Devo. They had the one catchy hit (Whip It), but I don't recall much more. I would not put them in.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer should be in. In 1974 they were the second highest grossing act in the world behind only Led Zeppelin.

You couldn't turn a radio on without hearing something from "Brain Salad Surgery", or "Pictures At An Exhibition"...

You couldn't turn a radio on without hearing something from "Brain Salad Surgery", or "Pictures At An Exhibition"...

I can't say that I've listened to much of ELP. I had a buddy with a couple of their albums and we listened to them.

I have to admit something sad. I never knew it was ELP who sang "Welcome back my friend to the show that never ends". I always though that was ARS (Atlantic Rythm Section).

Devo was absolutely instrumental in the development of new wave. Some people even feel that Byrne ripped off Motherbaugh with alot of the Talking Heads stuff, musically speaking.

Devo was absolutely instrumental in the development of new wave. Some people even feel that Byrne ripped off Motherbaugh with alot of the Talking Heads stuff, musically speaking.

Agreed... as I said - never cared for Devo - but have to admit that they were highly influential - and successful intheir own right...

I still wouldn't put them in. But that's just me.

A few reasons.

I thought Whip It was corny. Never seen the fascination. Wasn't a big fan a that type of music. To me they seemed like a novelty.

They didn't seem to have much musical talent to speak of ( not great drummers or bassists or guitarists). Again, it's just my thoughts.

A few reasons.

I thought Whip It was corny. Never seen the fascination. Wasn't a big fan a that type of music. To me they seemed like a novelty.

They didn't seem to have much musical talent to speak of ( not great drummers or bassists or guitarists). Again, it's just my thoughts.

I hear ya, I'm actually not a big fan of Whip it either. My fav is Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA.

I hear ya, I'm actually not a big fan of Whip it either. My fav is Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA.

I did a little google search. I felt if I was going to discuss Devo or comment on whether I would put them in the HOF, then I could at least learn something about them. Somewhat interesting, but nothing changed my mind. I'll liten to more of their stuff soon. Smart patrol and Mr. DNA will be a couple.

It's more of a case of everyones definitions of what gets you in the hall. Here is mine. I understand that it is not what everyone else thinks.

*Great musicians - Guitar, Bass, Drums, other. Not just speed, but style with talent.

*Longevity while being relevant. - State fairs really don't count, but if you sell out good size venues for 20 years, you have a large following because you are doing something right.

*Hits - If a band has enough top hits, like them or not I guess they get in.

*Influence - This is kind of minor to me. It's so subjective. You never know how much a band influences other bands. In some ways, I guess almost every popular band influences future artists. Elvis, The Beatles, Hendrix, The Yradbirds, several blues artists, they all influenced music.

*Popularity - This one is very minor to me, but I understand that it must be a factor. This is different than having top hits. Kiss gets an added push because of this one. Also ELP. They had huge audiences even though they only had a few songs climb the charts (2 #7's I believe).

*Future band members success - I know this is questionable, but I think it plays a part. Even if the Yardbirds were not in the HOF, I would put them there because they had Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in the band. Also, sometimes maybe a band of past stars should get in. How could you not put The Traveling Wilburies in the HOF. Tom Petty, George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne and Bob Dylan.

A few reasons.

You should hear their stuff, it is good.....Whip it was one of their worst songs in my opinion.

I grew up in the late 70's, and through the 80's, and on through the grunge of the 90's..I was a " rocker "...I went to every " big hair " band you can name's concerts ( most likely more than once ), and all of the " grunge " bands through the 90's, and even concerts today.I had a chance to go to DEVO....I thought it would be a joke......They are in my top 5 concerts now.( was 1987 )

Glad I saw them......

And they are still touring and making music today, and sound just as good as they have......2 new songs below, and a older one....Second video at the Winter Olympics live.... :)

[media=]

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

I had to add this one to show how they have a following, and how good they still are today Live !

• Like 1

ABBA and Madonna are in the RRHOF for some reason, along with relatively obscure blues performers. What do they have in common? Not much! Like I said, the selection criteria seems totally random. Popularity, critical acclaim, who knows what the rules are. It's just the voices in some Cleveland person's head.

The Bee Gees were much more than a disco band. Their early stuff from the sixties was great. They belong there.

If I had my own hall of fame, I would make the list far smaller and more exclusive. You'd really have to earn that spot. I'd put The Beatles in it. After that would come the bandsartists that are "the" band or the "first" big artist/band for their specific genre. Like a Metallica or Ramones, for example. But there sure wouldn't be hundreds of artists/bands in mine. It's THE hall of fame!

• Like 2

You should hear their stuff, it is good.....Whip it was one of their worst songs in my opinion.

I grew up in the late 70's, and through the 80's, and on through the grunge of the 90's..I was a " rocker "...I went to every " big hair " band you can name's concerts ( most likely more than once ), and all of the " grunge " bands through the 90's, and even concerts today.I had a chance to go to DEVO....I thought it would be a joke......They are in my top 5 concerts now.( was 1987 )

Glad I saw them......

And they are still touring and making music today, and sound just as good as they have......2 new songs below, and a older one....Second video at the Winter Olympics live.... :)

[media=]

I love that whole album and how they went about it. Devo is with out a doubt one the most fan oriented bands ever. So awesome!

I did a little google search. I felt if I was going to discuss Devo or comment on whether I would put them in the HOF, then I could at least learn something about them. Somewhat interesting, but nothing changed my mind. I'll liten to more of their stuff soon. Smart patrol and Mr. DNA will be a couple.

It's more of a case of everyones definitions of what gets you in the hall. Here is mine. I understand that it is not what everyone else thinks.

*Great musicians - Guitar, Bass, Drums, other. Not just speed, but style with talent.

*Longevity while being relevant. - State fairs really don't count, but if you sell out good size venues for 20 years, you have a large following because you are doing something right.

*Hits - If a band has enough top hits, like them or not I guess they get in.

*Influence - This is kind of minor to me. It's so subjective. You never know how much a band influences other bands. In some ways, I guess almost every popular band influences future artists. Elvis, The Beatles, Hendrix, The Yradbirds, several blues artists, they all influenced music.

*Popularity - This one is very minor to me, but I understand that it must be a factor. This is different than having top hits. Kiss gets an added push because of this one. Also ELP. They had huge audiences even though they only had a few songs climb the charts (2 #7's I believe).

*Future band members success - I know this is questionable, but I think it plays a part. Even if the Yardbirds were not in the HOF, I would put them there because they had Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in the band. Also, sometimes maybe a band of past stars should get in. How could you not put The Traveling Wilburies in the HOF. Tom Petty, George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne and Bob Dylan.

For me, it's infulence on a specific genre more than anything. Did the artist start a genre or define it as we know it? Musicianship? Not so much, there are plenty of incredible musicians whom are not signed or never even play profesionally. I don't see that as a barometer. I would stab myself in the eyeball if Batio ever sniffs the Hall of Fame. lol. I guess ultimately, cultural and musical impact would be the deciding factor for me.

A lot of really good comments here...

Lets try something... lets come up with our own (unofficial) UM Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame...

So for a few issues:

• I think the first problem is that you would have to first actually define Rock and Roll...
  • Set criteria for each 'division' of R&R
  • Have different categories for different achievements (Influence, popularity, talent. etc)
  • Have a vote for each group of eligible performers
  • have discussion over the ones up for consideration
  • Revote to select the entrants.

Winners get the priviledge of displaying on their albums that we selected them (if they ever bother to find out) and free cookies (if they can find where I live and show up to get them)

How does this sound?

Edited by Taun

A lot of really good comments here...

Lets try something... lets come up with our own (unofficial) UM Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame...

So for a few issues:

• I think the first problem is that you would have to first actually define Rock and Roll...
  • Set criteria for each 'division' of R&R
  • Have different categories for different achievements (Influence, popularity, talent. etc)
  • Have a vote for each group of eligible performers
  • have discussion over the ones up for consideration
  • Revote to select the entrants.

Winners get the priviledge of displaying on their albums that we selected them (if they ever bother to find out) and free cookies (if they can find where I live and show up to get them)

How does this sound?

I'm game.

I'll add what I think should/could be considered rock and roll. It changes through the years. Some pretty tame songs in the 50's are still rock and roll to me.

Rap is not rock and roll. Country is divided. Some is, some isn't.