Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rock and Roll Hall of Shame

I'm wondering why we should have catagories? Just a thought. Would you have a catagory that Madonna would fit into? I've never liked Madonna and would never like to see her in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But her criterea would be fine except the catagory. How is her singing seperated from Journey's?

For my own criteria, I wouldn't weight heavy on album sales. Death, a smaller following, early days, etc I would think has cut some awesome performers numbers short.

But since it is the RRHall of "Fame". My point is mute.

So, ignore and carry on. :tu:

For my own criteria, I wouldn't weight heavy on album sales. Death, a smaller following, early days, etc I would think has cut some awesome performers numbers short.

But since it is the RRHall of "Fame". My point is mute.

So, ignore and carry on. :tu:

Well... sales is probably the easiest measure of success and popularity to find and quantify...

Well... sales is probably the easiest measure of success and popularity to find and quantify...

Absolutely!

But as I said, tempering popularity has no place in a measurement of "fame".

So, my bad.

I'm wondering why we should have catagories? Just a thought. Would you have a catagory that Madonna would fit into? I've never liked Madonna and would never like to see her in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But her criterea would be fine except the catagory. How is her singing seperated from Journey's?

i have to agree with this, I for one will not participate in something that contains the words " Rock and Roll " and see the Bee gee,s and such even being considered.

fwiw,

I’m sure we’ve all cringed at the high number of record sales by a particular artist or two or three, as well as cringing at what category of music they fall in.

Yet, I don’t discount the part popularity plays in music--what the public likes, enjoys, what touches them personally and how the public may label their music. (their aren't enough labels to go around, imo.)

Fame (and maybe even confusing labels just to categorize someone) tells something for sure, but it does not tell everything.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Well... Then I don't know how else to do it except go strictly by 'popularity' among the voters - which is at least as subjective as going by mass popularity which is reflected in sales...

Someone else please submit a proposal...

Well... Then I don't know how else to do it except go strictly by 'popularity' among the voters - which is at least as subjective as going by mass popularity which is reflected in sales...

Someone else please submit a proposal...

I like yours, but let's call it " The UM Members Choice - Musical Artists Hall of Fame "

That should do away with the " categories "

Next to each artist that get's in, show the total albums sold, maybe keep it in numerical order?

I like yours, but let's call it " The UM Members Choice - Musical Artists Hall of Fame " .....It needs to be " mass popularity " with some sort of system as you have made.Otherwise Justin Beiber will be nominated......

That should do away with the " categories "

Next to each artist that get's in, show the total albums sold, maybe keep it in numerical order?

OK, I'm confused again. How can we rank best artist by record sales when there are such discrepancies:

U2 has 51.5 million records sold on this site:

http://voices.yahoo....668.html?cat=33

and 150 million on this site:

http://en.wikipedia....g_music_artists

And Garth Brooks is really the 2nd best selling artist of all time? Really??? :hmm:

Edited by little_dreamer

OK, I'm confused again. How can we rank best artist by record sales when there are such discrepancies:

U2 has 51.5 million records sold on this site:

http://voices.yahoo....668.html?cat=33

and 150 million on this site:

http://en.wikipedia....g_music_artists

And Garth Brooks is really the 2nd best selling artist of all time? Really??? :hmm:

Didn't mean for 'sales' to be the key factor in 'ranking' acts - simply a subset of the formula for initial consideration... I'm an engineering technician by trade and I like to quantify things (that can be quantified)... Practically every other factor of an act is subjective (I like this band- I don't like that band... where as tomorrow the 'likes' and 'dislikes' could change completely)... Factoring in record sales seemed like the best way to 'quantitatively' determine a bands true popularity / impact... Obviously no one else on the board agrees - so I guess we can drop quantifying anything about the acts and go with a simple vote by the members...

Didn't mean for 'sales' to be the key factor in 'ranking' acts - simply a subset of the formula for initial consideration... I'm an engineering technician by trade and I like to quantify things (that can be quantified)... Practically every other factor of an act is subjective (I like this band- I don't like that band... where as tomorrow the 'likes' and 'dislikes' could change completely)... Factoring in record sales seemed like the best way to 'quantitatively' determine a bands true popularity / impact... Obviously no one else on the board agrees - so I guess we can drop quantifying anything about the acts and go with a simple vote by the members...

Ahhhh BS.....

I agree 100% with your offer !!!!!

If that is not done, it will just be a popularity contest, and mean nothing.

I just want the name changed from " rock and roll hall of fame " to a more generalised music format.

Your idea is perfect, and considering I am the only one voting right now, I vote YES to your idea.....

Let's start a new topic, and get it rolling, if it doesn't get hits, than oh well....

I appreciate the time you took for that, and I like it!

:tu:

No, no, I like your idea and you have devoted the time. I think the discussion at this point should be how much of each qualifier is used to determine induction.

Of course record sales should factor in. But it should not trump all. Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time, however, I would not put it in a Movies Hall of Fame.

I like the idea of a Music Hall of Fame. That would eliminate some arguements (The Eagles).

Ha, thought it was a hall of Shame.. I know who my number one shame band is..

Anywho, perhaps fame is more than just album sales. For instance the cast of Glee has had more songs on the charts than the Beatles- and who besides fans of the show even have a clue as to what the names of all the cast of Glee are? Or "Tic-tok" has sold more covers than any Beatles cover- and Ke$ha is already practically in one hit wonderland rather than lifetime famous.

Or there were more copies of Billy Ray Cryus "Some Gave All" album sold than any Bob Marley album- and how famous is Billy now?

Staying power has a lot to do with fame for me. It's kind of one thing to put out an album or few with a couple big hits and be super famous for a few years and then fade away.. it's another to put in decades of several good albums that have kept a loyal fan base filling concert halls for years.

So perhaps add in concert sales to album sales? Maybe a minimum of albums recorded and years in the industry too. I think perhaps having a multi-generational fanbase would count for something too.

Heart

But at least they are in the Experience Music Project, which in my eyes far exceeds the R&R hall of fame.

I will cast my vote:

Classic Rock category

Journey

Heart

E.L.O.

Cheap Trick

Bad Company

Rush

The Cars

Robert Plant (solo)

Steve Winwood (solo)

Joe Walsh (solo)

Jefferson Starship

Pat Benatar

Blue Oyster Cult

Rainbow

New Wave (I think all of these bands had an album out by 1981):

INXS

Depeche Mode

New Order

Echo and the Bunnymen

Sorry I've been away for a bit... Family crisis - One of my nephews has disappeared under suspicious circumstances, my sister - his mother - is going even crazier than she normally is..

Back on subject...

A few more things to determine ... We'll go with general consensus...

1. Categories or Not? If not, how do we vote? Beethoven vrs The Commodores?... If categories - which ones?

2. Time limit. 25 years since first formed? A different time span?

3. How many can a single member nominate per voting period?

4. If we use points (like I posted earlier) what values?

I'm still leaning toward my running up the various acts 'points' similar to what I posted earlier, then posting the top bands for votes... How many bands for final vote? 3 ? 5? 10? (not more than that I hope)

My intent now - if we stick with points - is that the points are simply used to select the top acts for member votes - then go strictly by member votes for who is 'admitted' into our HOF...

Thoughts?

Edited by Taun

Sorry I've been away for a bit... Family crisis - One of my nephews has disappeared under suspicious circumstances, my sister - his mother - is going even crazier than she normally is..

Back on subject...

A few more things to determine ... We'll go with general consensus...

1. Categories or Not? If not, how do we vote? Beethoven vrs The Commodores?... If categories - which ones?

2. Time limit. 25 years since first formed? A different time span?

3. How many can a single member nominate per voting period?

4. If we use points (like I posted earlier) what values?

I'm still leaning toward my running up the various acts 'points' similar to what I posted earlier, then posting the top bands for votes... How many bands for final vote? 3 ? 5? 10? (not more than that I hope)

My intent now - if we stick with points - is that the points are simply used to select the top acts for member votes - then go strictly by member votes for who is 'admitted' into our HOF...

Thoughts?

My vote goes for no catagories.

25 years since formed is OK with me.

I think 1 nomination per round is good.

We can try it without categories - not sure how it will turn out but that seems to be the preference...

I guess we're about ready to start...

Which plan seems better:

A

- Nominations begin on Monday morning and run until Thursday Evening...

- I compile the list of nominees and calculate points...

- Monday morning (the next week) the top 5 (?) bands/performers are listed and voting begins...

- Voting ends Thursday evening and on Friday the winner is announced..

- Next Monday the cycle starts again

B

- Nominations run from Monday morning to Wednesday evening

- I calculate basic points and determine the top 5 (?)

- Friday Morning I post the top 5 voting begins and ends Sunday Night...

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Since I'm doing the calculations - all references to dates and times are Oklahoma Standard Time :D

Edited by Taun

A

Unfortunately I can't start it this week... But when it does start it will be a totally new thread...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet sorry... I will start it Monday morning...

I've been out of state and away from my computer for a few days...