Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists predict time will stop completely

Still Waters

The theory of time running out was devised by researchers from two Spanish universities trying to explain why the universe appeared to be spreading continuously and accelerating.

Observations of supernovae, or exploding stars, found the movement of light indicated they were moving faster than those nearer to the centre of the universe.

But the scientists claimed the accepted theory of an opposite force to gravity, known as dark energy, was wrong, and said the reality was that the growth of the universe was slowing.

Professor Jose Senovilla, Marc Mars and Raul Vera from the University of the Basque Country and the University of Salamanca said the deceleration of time was so gradual, it was imperceptible to humans.

http://www.telegraph...completely.html

This is interesting. A sort of entropy for time. Or, as space and time are inseparable, as space stretches, why wouldn't time stretch as well?

Edited by StarMountainKid

Oh wow, time is an amazing concept.

Wait, does this mean that we'll all just freeze completely if their theory is correct? (Emphasis on "is")

I kind of have a problem with this theory. Time only exists because we exist. Doesn't it? I mean, who's telling any kind of time if there's not someone there to count it? What would time be without someone or something to count it? Questions, questions, questions. Maybe the question should be - Does time really exist at all?

• Like 4

Time is only relevant to living things it needs to be observed to be real it already has stopped for millions

• Like 2

This is interesting. A sort of entropy for time. Or, as space and time are inseparable, as space stretches, why wouldn't time stretch as well?

From the story it sounds like the scientists believe time to be a dimension of space. In the philosophy of time that is one of the stances but the other is that time is human perception. I should point out that neither has been proven correct.

Until that is resolved I take every idea about time with a pinch of salt as we might really be talking about mental effects.

all natural things are in cycles your born you live you die we see this in all things its only a matter of when (when explaining there is a set "time" at sum point)~~at this point i would advise you to do several hits of acid an smoke sum realy good pot to completly understand the meaning of time you have to let your mind go an flow free beyound any understanding of the known reasons of why something like this is what it is~~~ defineing time... from point a to point b it takes so long to go the distance between there for we call it time distance travled such is all things known to man in cycles from a starting point to a ending point and repeting the cycle we dont realy know but can only guess what we call time realy is but yet as beings with thinking minds at work we see at sum point it started and at some other point it will stop we guess it doesnt realy matter the area between the 2 points becouse what can seem like a life time can only be a matter of moments when in the true point of it the spanding of a distance may realy be as a a single spark from 2 or many things bursting apon collision at once if you stand at the edge of the eventhorizen a single moment can seem to go on an on and on

when as depending on how your mind sees what your looking at it can be as if it wasnt realy there in the first place.........

Edited by justcalmebubba

all natural things are in cycles your born you live you die we see this in all things its only a matter of when (when explaining there is a set "time" at sum point)~~at this point i would advise you to do several hits of acid an smoke sum realy good pot to completly understand the meaning of time you have to let your mind go an flow free beyound any understanding of the known reasons of why something like this is what it is~~~ defineing time... from point a to point b it takes so long to go the distance between there for we call it time distance travled such is all things known to man in cycles from a starting point to a ending point and repeting the cycle we dont realy know but can only guess what we call time realy is but yet as beings with thinking minds at work we see at sum point it started and at some other point it will stop we guess it doesnt realy matter the area between the 2 points becouse what can seem like a life time can only be a matter of moments when in the true point of it the spanding of a distance may realy be as a a single spark from 2 or many things bursting apon collision at once if you stand at the edge of the eventhorizen a single moment can seem to go on an on and on

when as depending on how your mind sees what your looking at it can be as if it wasnt realy there in the first place.........

‎"Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

-Einstein

• Like 4

After reading this article, I remain with a couple of questions...

They say that light moves slower near the center of the universe (hence, time moves faster there). Perhaps they could extrapolate these observations and tell us where this center is located?

Also, since according to their theory time decelerates towards the outskirts of the universe, wouldn't this indicate that time is not constant throughout it, and that time would only stop at the edge instead of the entire universe ending in a snapshot?

If time is a spatial dimension and if it were to stop then would we cease to exist? Is time dimensional or perceptional or both?

Time is just a state of mind that us humans created,to organize our day to day life. To believe that CRACKPOT theory is just plain stupid...

• Like 1

If time is a spatial dimension and if it were to stop then would we cease to exist? Is time dimensional or perceptional or both?

If time is mind then theres a huge problem in science.

Time is used in a lot of formulas meaning the mind is determining how things work. Its used in gravity too so you have your mind connected to a force of nation. That paves the way for telekinesis.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

That would mean, my guess, everything including atoms would stop moving. No more kinetic energy. It is kind of hard to wrap my head around, but who knows, that is one of many outcomes for the Universe. .

I would like a more detailed explanation myself. Perhaps by the "center of the universe" is meant the more distant from the Earth, although that could also me the "outskirts".

I find it hard to understand the idea that time does not exist, or is only a product of the mind. On the quantum scale, there is no special direction of time, yet on this scale events seem to move forward in time. Perhaps that is because on the macro scale, entropy is a determining factor for the arrow of time moving into the future, and we only directly experience events on this scale.

If time were only a figment of the mind, it seems to me the evolution of the universe in time would be a problem to explain. I rather think the universe will continue to evolve in time as it will long after the human mind is extinct.

All moments of time, past, present and future my already exist as slices of spacetime. Maybe time is slowing. There are indications that the speed of light was different in the past. We are always making new discoveries, perhaps this hypothesis may turn out to be correct.

If this is found to be true maybe the phenomenon of "missing time" described by people who claim alien abduction are correct. Perhaps a higher intelligence has indeed the power to manipulate time as we understand it.

and on a happier note.......

Well if that's the case. . . .*crosses time travel off my bucket list* gotta find something to replace that. . .lol

Wait, does this mean that we'll all just freeze completely if their theory is correct? (Emphasis on "is")

Well they say the universe its not speeding up, its just seems so because time is slowing down. That must mean, that matter does not necessarily slow down, just because time does, so things will keep moving.

Well they say the universe its not speeding up, its just seems so because time is slowing down. That must mean, that matter does not necessarily slow down, just because time does, so things will keep moving.

ah, ok so its a matter of poorly chosen words, as because matter is slowing down, so "time" goes slower?

~~message from "zafrah beeverbrox" ~~ it's realy simple just stick out your thumb when the next krielion battlestar passes by ask a zorg!

• Like 1

The Universe has no "centre" and no "edge". Those are concepts of the dimensionally-challenged, of those who are trapped in 3-space-thought. It is infinitely folded into itself. The "slowing of time" (time as tri-spacers perceive it) is real. It is the manifestation of the heat death of the Universe, i.e. increasing entropy. Perhaps in a few hundred years, your lot will have learnt this. Your knowledge is increasing. Don't permit superstitious, uninquisitive, unenlightened, anti-intellectuals cause another Dark Ages. You are making progress!

• Like 2

I'm a bit skeptical of this theory. There really isnt a lot of information they give here.

Even in a setting of absolute zero where molecules are frozen still, time is still passing, isnt it? Thats an interesting thought-experiement.

• Like 2

Time is understood as the temporal dimension.