Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can anyone tell me who/what this may be?

Waya6966

This photo was taken with a SONY CYBER-SHOT 25MM WIDE ANGLE LENS DIGITAL CAMERA.so that excludes any 'processing error'.When I took the photo,the shadow off to the right of the window/door was not there.as I was standing back far enough that I would not capture my own silouhette.But to me it looks what appears to be a larger older male possibly in his 50's or late 40's.I'm not sure,you be the judgeDSC02355-1.jpg

But to me it looks what appears to be a larger older male possibly in his 50's or late 40's.I'm not sure,you be the judge

And you got all that just by looking at the shadow in the photograph? Sherlock Holmes would have been very proud.

Sorry, just pulling your leg. Take care man.

• Like 6

This photo was taken with a SONY CYBER-SHOT 25MM WIDE ANGLE LENS DIGITAL CAMERA.

What *model*?

so that excludes any 'processing error'.

Why would it do that? It a 1024 x 768 image which suggests you have resized it, and the forum strips off EXIF anyway, so we can't verify that it isn't altered/post-processed. Not without access to the actual original media.

When I took the photo

Why did you take the photo, by the way?

the shadow off to the right of the window/door was not there.

So what were the lighting conditions? What time was it? Why was the flash turned off, and what were the other settings used? Can we see some images that are properly exposed/lit, of exactly the same scene? Can you stand at that doorway, and turn back to take another image so we can see exactly what was behind you?

as I was standing back far enough that I would not capture my own silouhette.

??? Back far enough from what? Where were the light sources?

But to me it looks what appears to be a larger older male possibly in his 50's or late 40's.I'm not sure,you be the judge

It just looks like a shadow to me, most likely yours from a light source behind and slightly left of you, with the camera badly set up and forced to take a long exposure. I certainly can't tell what the age of the shadow caster might be, and am fascinated by how *you* can..!

• Like 4

What *model*?

Why would it do that? It a 1024 x 768 image which suggests you have resized it, and the forum strips off EXIF anyway, so we can't verify that it isn't altered/post-processed. Not without access to the actual original media.

That is the original media

Why did you take the photo, by the way?

My house is haunted,and it was the time all the activity seems to in crease so i thought maybe i could get a picture of orbs or the like.letme rephrase that..the property is haunted

So what were the lighting conditions? they were what you see in the picture What time was it?im not exactly sure,as i dont remember the exact time,but it was after 10PM Why was the flash turned off,too bright and what were the other settings used?none that i recall Can we see some images that are properly exposed/lit, of exactly the same scene? Can you stand at that doorway, and turn back to take another image so we can see exactly what was behind you?directly about 10 feet behind me was a china cabinet and a doorway leading into a dark kitchen.

??? Back far enough from what?the window or anything area in the photo were my shadow /reflection would be noticed Where were the light sources?

It just looks like a shadow to me, most likely yours from a light source behind and slightly left of you, with the camera badly set up and forced to take a long exposure. I certainly can't tell what the age of the shadow caster might be, and am fascinated by how *you* can..!

And you got all that just by looking at the shadow in the photograph? Sherlock Holmes would have been very proud.

Sorry, just pulling your leg. Take care man.

Yes,I am very 'in-tune'as they say with those abilities.I can speak with/see as well as sense the dead.I go by my gut instinct about everything

Yes,I am very 'in-tune'as they say with those abilities.I can speak with/see as well as sense the dead.I go by my gut instinct about everything

So if you're that "in-tune", why are you asking us?

• Like 6

So if you're that "in-tune", why are you asking us?

I second that.

It's a very bad, very dark photograph, and I would bet anything it's either the taker's shadow, or the shadow of some piece of furniture or something in the house casting a vaguely humanoid shadow.

i know that guy it's mr blurry photo

• Like 1

I think your selling old mate a bit short there, I think he looks to be in his early 20's

This photo was taken with a SONY CYBER-SHOT 25MM WIDE ANGLE LENS DIGITAL CAMERA.so that excludes any 'processing error'.
1. In my experience, "processing errors" in digital photography do not produce human shaped shadows in photos, so I'm not sure why you're so eager off the bat to exclude that as a possibility. Of course that's not a "processing error".

2. Why do you think that naming your camera as a SONY CYBER-SHOT 25MM WIDE ANGLE LENS DIGITAL CAMERA helps exclude the shadow as being not a "processing error". Are Sony Cybershots 25mm Wide Angle Lens Digital Cameras notable for being free of "processing errors"? I'm really not sure what you're getting at here.

When I took the photo,the shadow off to the right of the window/door was not there.
The shadow wasn't there in that you didn't see it in the camera's LCD viewfinder when taking the photo or wasn't there when you viewed the photo in camera after taking it? At what point did you see there was no shadow and when did you notice the shadow had subsequently appeared?

That's a definitely unwarranted jump to a conclusion. There's nowhere near enough detail to tell the size or age of whoever's shadow that might be.
  • Like 1

DSC02355-1.jpg

Looks like you got yerself a Close Encounter of the Third Kind there. :P

83.jpg

• Like 5

That's a definitely unwarranted jump to a conclusion. There's nowhere near enough detail to tell the size or age of whoever's shadow that might be.

This is easy to solve on the age of the "ghost", How old are you Waya6966? The reason why I am asking is that when I brighten the picture, you can see the light source is mostly coming behind Waya6966, creating the shadow (notice shadow is on the painting and the wall). So it's Waya6966 shadow.

EDIT: Corrected the Wrong name

Edited by Brian Topp

This photo was taken with a SONY CYBER-SHOT 25MM WIDE ANGLE LENS DIGITAL CAMERA.so that excludes any 'processing error'.When I took the photo,the shadow off to the right of the window/door was not there.as I was standing back far enough that I would not capture my own silouhette.But to me it looks what appears to be a larger older male possibly in his 50's or late 40's.I'm not sure,you be the judgeDSC02355-1.jpg

where on earth do you get larger older male, possibly in his 50s or late 40s from that??

ok i'll admit it kind of looks like a shadow, but you are reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally stretching

the picture is predictably blurry and of nothing of consequence.

the type of camera is really irrelevant considering the quality of the shot

• Like 2

Brian's contrast adjustment sure makes that silhouette look like a guy holding a digital camera up to his face.

One small optical illusion is that the lower half of the window is dark and it nearly lines up with the shadow of the silhouette. That makes our eyes want to think the darkness is part of the silhouette in the foreground. It's not.

I'd estimate his age to be somewhere between 15 and 75 years of age, or thereabouts.

• Like 2

This is easy to solve on the age of the "ghost", How old are you Waya6966? The reason why I am asking is that when I brighten the picture, you can see the light source is mostly coming behind Waya6966, creating the shadow (notice shadow is on the painting and the wall). So it's Waya6966 shadow.

EDIT: Corrected the Wrong name

I am 21 years of age and what painting are you talking about?

How did you determine it's age?

shadowvu.png

Congradulations, You took a picture of your own shadow with out flash.

Quoted for the truth.

I am no expert in photos, but I have seen a lot of shadows in my day that I thought were ghost and I seen a lot of ghost. My brother told me to find clues to find out the difference cause I was always a scary ass kid cause of the spirits I have seen that I thought every noise was a spirit or shadow. When not every shadow or noise is not. Looking at the picture, it is in fact dark, but if it was that dark we wouldn't see a shadow. There is come kind of light in this picture. From what i see and I assume is that the light is coming from that far right behind you or whoever was standing there causing a shadow. That is my first option cause u can see that the walls are brown, and in the dark, with little light it would look red. My second option is the light is coming from the outside light infront of the door, but then that wouldn't really explain the shadow on the door would it?

From what I have seen, I would say thats just a person and you probably did not even realise they were their because u was too busy trying to take a picture of something else? or that you know its a person and you are bored and want us to think its a ghost. All I know is that ghost do not create shadows, this is not the movie GHOST where the bad shadows come and take u to hell if you are evil.

I am 21 years of age and what painting are you talking about?

I'm sorry, because it is so bury and dark I honestly thought you were taking a picture of a painting in a dark room. Looking now looks like a window or a door. So, We have a 21 year old shadow.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1

Here's a quick (5 minute) duplication of the effect. Light behind me to the left and slightly above, (smeared :blush: ) mirror placed to reflect in a similar way and reveal the location of the backlight, camera put into a non-flash mode and high ISO to emulate the noisy appearance of the OP picture. My light source was fluorescent, so my shadow is more blurry and the lighting isn't as yellow, but I think the point is clear..

med_gallery_95887_10_13077.jpg

BTW, of course you don't normally notice your own shadow as you wander around, taking inexplicable images... I note the OP has now said he was 'ghost hunting', so he clearly cherry-picked this image, as well as playing with settings until he got what he wanted..?

I invite the OP to duplicate the image himself. If he is serious about his hunting, he will do that. Same light on in room behind him, flash turned off, standing in same location. Then turn flash on and take another image for comparison. Then *turn around* and take an image of what is behind... Mystery will be solved, I suspect...

• Like 4