Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we fear snakes?

msmike1

I'll admit, I hate snakes. They're creepy, crawly,

A crawly snake..lol....How exactly does a snake.......crawl ?

I never really know what I am coming home to. From, kit foxes running around the living room, to bobcats growling at me from a cage in the bathroom, to a whitetail deer fawn sitting on my couch, to a red tailed hawk eating a chicken leg on my porch and on and on and on. LOL. So, around my house all animals are loved and cared for, not just domestic ones.

Wow you should be charging people admission to get into your house, sounds like you have a wildlife adventure park at home lol..

Anyhoo in ref to the topic ..I don't fear snakes myself ( meaning to hold a phobia of them ) .. I sure as heck wouldn't kill any..If I came across one that is dangerous..I would go out of my way to avoid it and run for he hills.. but not kill it no... I actually like some snakes..well snakes and lizards ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Well well well, the Urban Legend is an Urban Legend or isn't or is it?

I feel like I am being lead on a wild goose chase (maybe I should just look into it myself).

lol Likewise, but gave up.

lol Likewise, but gave up.

Darn Urban Legends! They are all like that, the clue is in the name.

Darn Urban Legends! They are all like that, the clue is in the name.

So true, and digging the truth out of this one is quite elusive.

Natural evolutionary trait. Those who feared snakes, and stayed away from snakes tended to live and produce more offspring. So on.

Wow you should be charging people admission to get into your house, sounds like you have a wildlife adventure park at home lol..

Anyhoo in ref to the topic ..I don't fear snakes myself ( meaning to hold a phobia of them ) .. I sure as heck wouldn't kill any..If I came across one that is dangerous..I would go out of my way to avoid it and run for he hills.. but not kill it no... I actually like some snakes..well snakes and lizards ..

Your take on snakes is a rather intelligent one.

Mike

I don't fear snakes... Most of the time they are pretty useful, they eat mice and voles that plague my yard. Then again, I grew up in an area where most of the "wild" snakes are harmless, and garden snakes are pretty cute. And I know the only truly dangerous one in the area is a rattler- and those rather rattle and slither away than bite me any day.

Honestly, I'm more wary of coming across a coon or possom that might hurt me because it's rabid or cornered or with young. And oohh, wild swans and geese- those things can really hurt a person if they are angry enough to attack a human. A swans wing buffet is powerful enough to capsize a small boat, break bones- and they got a nasty bite too. Snapping turtles- the big ones can easily bite off a finger or toe- and sometimes turtles got nasty things that are bad for humans to get infected with, ick.

So between snakes being useful and mostly harmless, and other area critters being more of a potential danger.. I'm just not fearful of snakes.

You know, I've chilled with a copperhead before. I gave him his space; about 25 feet. I was mowing my lawn, and he just rested in the shade of several trees, watching me.

My point: I'm not deathly terrified of snakes. Do they give me the willies? Yes, but only if I am within a very close proximity to them. Wild snakes, like any other wild animal need to be respected. It's the same for me with insects, which also strike fear into the hearts of certain people. I'm not afraid of it. If I don't provoke it or emit any negative feelings, I'll be fine.

Edited by UFO_Monster

Without snakes, rats and rodents would run wild.....

Without Spiders, flies, and other creepy crawilies would run wild in your bed!

I dont mind snakes but I hate an f*ing spider! If it has more than four legs I dont care for it. Unless its a butterfly..do they have legs??

I dont mind snakes but I hate an f*ing spider! If it has more than four legs I dont care for it. Unless its a butterfly..do they have legs??

I recommend Google for that one ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think its actually fear of a snake, spider, roach or any other creepy crawler, ...wait there its is "creepy crawler" its not always just fear that drives us away from them but rather their distinctive qualities of going about their buisness in a creepy manner. Yes there are some who are deathly scared of them ...but most aren't really scared of them until they seem to notice it/them coming towards them. Like many have said through the ages, "most of the the time their completely harmless till you do something stupid"

Phobia's are not passed through the genes. That is absurd. I think the common misconception that people associate with the fear of snakes, is that they learned from some bible thumping moron that snakes were evil and were some form of the devil. I am sure that past generations of people learned to stay away from snakes after a few people that they knew died after being bitten by one. I think it is more of a case of having common sense than anything else. As for the fear of spiders, or any other bug for that matter, I sometimes wonder if it is because of the fact that when we die, bugs eat us and maybe that is some kind of fear that some people associate with dying? Seems logical to me.

Phobia's are not passed through the genes. That is absurd. I think the common misconception that people associate with the fear of snakes, is that they learned from some bible thumping moron that snakes were evil and were some form of the devil. I am sure that past generations of people learned to stay away from snakes after a few people that they knew died after being bitten by one. I think it is more of a case of having common sense than anything else. As for the fear of spiders, or any other bug for that matter, I sometimes wonder if it is because of the fact that when we die, bugs eat us and maybe that is some kind of fear that some people associate with dying? Seems logical to me.

Snakes are aggressive speices and very quick but by nature its not human friendly and can't be faithful like a dog and other animals if you like to have them as pets. If you keep snake as a pet then its likely to say thay he will eat your small parrots or even your dog. Even he can bite you without any reason. :-* I am not afraid fo snakes as I see many in the fields nearby my home but I try to kill them not because I hate them but to protect myself.

Self Preservation?

I Personally dont mind snakes reptiles etc, but iv never been in a position

where its a deadly snake and me manno a manno LMAO.

but you get the idea.

Snakes are aggressive speices and very quick but by nature its not human friendly and can't be faithful like a dog and other animals if you like to have them as pets. If you keep snake as a pet then its likely to say thay he will eat your small parrots or even your dog. Even he can bite you without any reason. :-* I am not afraid fo snakes as I see many in the fields nearby my home but I try to kill them not because I hate them but to protect myself.

protect yourself?

My God, maybe we should all take up your ideas...

People are very dangerous things, they kill many living things, many.....( uhm, snakes don't )

I see people all around, maybe I should kill them, not because I hate them, but to protect me, and other living things.