Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ERs must treat all emergencies and all pay

questionmark

WASHINGTON — Trauma surgeons at MedStar Washington Hospital Center didn't know the name of the young man wheeled into the trauma center, unconscious and bleeding from his face and head after being hit by a car. Nor did they know he lacked insurance.

But as they worked to save his life, doctors and nurses at the capital's largest hospital ran a dizzying battery of lab tests and high-tech scans. Surgeons operated repeatedly, at one point removing a portion of his skull to relieve pressure on the brain.

As happens daily in emergency rooms nationwide, the uninsured patient received medical care guaranteed by a generation-old federal mandate that requires hospitals to care for all in need, regardless of ability to pay.

Read more

Guess this was not the expected outcome... so we are back to the most expensive health care with mediocre results.

Guess its time to start letting all health insurance companies work in all states. Get some healthy competition going. Maybe get some not for profit health insurance companies going in each state as well. Maybe there is something we can do about the small handful of drug companies that hold a monopoly in the drug industry.

• Like 2

Guess its time to start letting all health insurance companies work in all states. Get some healthy competition going. Maybe get some not for profit health insurance companies going in each state as well. Maybe there is something we can do about the small handful of drug companies that hold a monopoly in the drug industry.

Abso-frekin-lutely. And stop making americans subsidize cheap medicine all over the world by inflating our prescription prices through the roof. My grandmother pays over 1200/mo for a few pills. My uncle paid around 800. Both retired. My uncle started getting his meds from Canada last winter and is saving 350/mo now without medicare. That's so super-phuced. :angry:

Edited by Framling

A think one could check would be who owns hospitals. Often chains of hospital are owned by big pharma who charge 10 dollars for a pill of tylanol.

"Whether people know it or not, whether people appreciate it or not, access to emergency care became a right in this country in 1986," said Dr. Wesley Fields, an emergency room physician in Orange County. "But the law that did that never addressed the big question of whose responsibility it was to deal with the cost."

From the Obamacare thread:

Why is it that everyone is Entitled to healthcare? Is it because we need it for to be at our best. Well, then don't we also need transportation, housing and income? Is there such a thing as the Right to a Job, the Right to Public Transport, the right to Individual Housing? No there is not. Just as there is no Right to Healthcare. It is a Privilage in the US. Sorry, but it is. Go live in Sweden if you don't like it much.

Should everyone get healthcare? Yes. Should everyone have access to whatever healthcare they want? Yes. Should the Public Funds be used to pay for the underprivilaged to have healthcare? Sure, they already do, in the form of SS Disability, Medicare and Medicaid, and various other smaller programs. Should the government raise my taxes to pay for these people? Sure. But, that is the government being nice and helping out it's citizens who need, actually NEED, help. It is not a basic human right to be healthy. And the government surely has no right to mandate that everyone buy into their own program or other insurances that they approve of.

Which one is it? 'Every person born is entitled to it' or 'one should be able to get proper care'? That's two different things. I can tell you that no one is entitled to anything except our GOD given, inalienable rights. Healthcare is not one of them. As a citizen, the government is only required to give you the five charges. The rest is up to us.

There is no "To Provide Healthcare" on that list. "PROMOTE" the General Welfare does not mean to provide welfare. It means to promote an environment to benefit the general welfare of all. That doesn't mean to force everyone to buy insurance. That would be a true free market system patterned after Adam Smith. It's no accident of Providence that "Wealth of Nations" was published in 1776. Our Founding Fathers where quite well versed in his works. Obama follows Marx and Alinski.

The article is correct. Ppl do not get it.

You pay either way.

As I've said before:

It just seems to make more sense to give everyone a cheaper chance to get help, instead of just the wealthier ppl who keep making it more expensive as they go along.

"Whether people know it or not, whether people appreciate it or not, access to emergency care became a right in this country in 1986," said Dr. Wesley Fields, an emergency room physician in Orange County. "But the law that did that never addressed the big question of whose responsibility it was to deal with the cost."

From the Obamacare thread:

The article is correct. Ppl do not get it.

You pay either way.

As I've said before:

Well said.

Maybe we need national health care for everyone.Study Canadian and European national health systems,and see where they work,and where the mistakes are, and come up with some plan.Many people who don't have a doctor, or can't get in to see one, will go to the emergency room for treatment. Also, noticed this was in the LA Times. You have a large illegal immigrant population here in the US,and many like the young man they treated have no health insurance at all,so when they get hurt like that man, the hospital provides care,and taxpayers like ourselves have to foot the bill.

Drug prices are outrageous.I really don't know the answer, unless they deducted money from everyone's pay, including welfare payments as monthly premiums to cover health care for everyone nation wide.

Another example, this one from the ER. A few months back I was extremely sick and was told to go to the er for a throat culture as they couldn't fit me in for a few days. When I got to the ER I was put in a room and waited an hour in a broken dental chair (stuck in half recline so i kept fighting to not slip off) before anyone came in. The usual ER shtick, I know, right? So they charged me 450.00 for that useless hour. And $450 for the next hour where they brought in a broken IV drip that took twice as long as it should have. Again, I was billed for time in the room i shouldn't have. I saw a DR for maybe 30 seconds. He was 387.00. The IV bag of electrolytes? It was like paying around 300.00 for a bottle of gatorade only my wrist felt like there was a cold nail sticking in it-I have veins the size of straws and she still missed it. Had I been in a socialized system I wouldn't complain. But hell, that's worse than socialized care. Oh, and i was the only person in their ER at that time!

I have a feeling our 40-49% who think privitized care is super cool for everyone will feel differently once they have their own experiences with crummy over charging hospitals, ******* insurance companies, or see someone, if not themselves, go bankrupt just because they can't afford to get patched up after a bad illness or accident.

But as long as we elect politicians whose ideas are for sale we'll be stuck with crooked profiteers of war, disease, and even death.

Maybe we need national health care for everyone.Study Canadian and European national health systems,and see where they work,and where the mistakes are, and come up with some plan.Many people who don't have a doctor, or can't get in to see one, will go to the emergency room for treatment. Also, noticed this was in the LA Times. You have a large illegal immigrant population here in the US,and many like the young man they treated have no health insurance at all,so when they get hurt like that man, the hospital provides care,and taxpayers like ourselves have to foot the bill.

Drug prices are outrageous.I really don't know the answer, unless they deducted money from everyone's pay, including welfare payments as monthly premiums to cover health care for everyone nation wide.

That might be reasonable but I doubt you can get it past either the Reps nor the Tea Party.

Healthcare in the U.S. is not a "right"granted to all in need.. or a "privilege" given to those deemed deserving .. it's something you buy, IF you can afford it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I remember our illustrious former president on national television, promoting emergency room care for those without insurance. Remember?