Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
MaKaElectric

Government Internet Censorship Up 718%

12 posts in this topic

[media=]

[/media]

(CNN) -- Western governments, including the United States, appear to be stepping up efforts to censor Internet search results and YouTube videos, according to a "transparency report" released by Google.

"It's alarming not only because free expression is at risk, but because some of these requests come from countries you might not suspect -- Western democracies not typically associated with censorship," Dorothy Chou, a senior policy analyst at Google, wrote in a blog post on Sunday night.

"For example, in the second half of last year, Spanish regulators asked us to remove 270 search results that linked to blogs and articles in newspapers referencing individuals and public figures, including mayors and public prosecutors. In Poland, we received a request from a public institution to remove links to a site that criticized it. We didn't comply with either of these requests."

In the last half of 2011, U.S. agencies asked Google to remove 6,192 individual pieces of content from its search results, blog posts or archives of online videos, according to the report. That's up 718% compared with the 757 such items that U.S. agencies asked Google to remove in the six months prior.

More - http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

3 people like this

Yes.....very sad indeed. I fear eventually the internet will be similar to television......you´ll get to see what "they" want you to see. No big surprise. You really can´t give people open access to information and allow them to draw their own conclusions. To dangerous and unpredictable. Somebody else has to decide for you.

2 people like this

That makes sense. If you are constantly trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, then blinding them to the truth of your actions is an elementary step to take. I miss the stone age, at least you knew it was kill or be killed.

4 people like this

The real clamp-down will happen after the "cyber-terrorism" legislation gets passed.

In the future it will be illegal to put information on the internet without a government license.

You will whine about it, then accept it.

Your kids will laugh at the crazy idea that people in the past were allowed to put information on the internet without government approval.

6 people like this

The real clamp-down will happen after the "cyber-terrorism" legislation gets passed.

In the future it will be illegal to put information on the internet without a government license.

Your kids will laugh at the crazy idea that people in the past were allowed to put information on the internet without government approval.

Over my dead body.

Posted (edited)

Posted Today, 09:10 PM

snapback.png

Charlie Prime, on 20 June 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

Over my dead body.

you say that now, but when it does come to this, you won't do anything (just like everyone else).

Edited by Bavarian Raven

What's to do about this, or about anything else that's wrong in the world really? Necroing an old topic, but still. There's not just this one guy who you could go kill and thus make things better, it doesn't work that way, and not only because no one couldn't do that, people could, but there's so many of those guys and gals. And the problem is not really the ones who do it but the mindset which they and others who become like them, adopt. Hard choises dont have to always include violence, drama and quick moves, and hard choises can be made by anyone. It's just that making them doesn't always feel easy. Hard choises like biting into what's the real core of all these problems instead of being content with just cleaning up the messes like these that show up after.

Honestly, if EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, just got together, and marched on DC and DEMANDED change, we really could do some good. But, it won't happen because they keep us divided on issues...Always the same tactic with these guys. Divide and conquer...

3 people like this

"For example, in the second half of last year, Spanish regulators asked us to remove 270 search results that linked to blogs and articles in newspapers referencing individuals and public figures, including mayors and public prosecutors. In Poland, we received a request from a public institution to remove links to a site that criticized it. We didn't comply with either of these requests."

They asked to remove 270 search results...? That's not censorship. Anyone can ask to remove things. I've heard of plenty of ordinary people asking for things to be removed from the internet and other places.

Censorship is when they forcefully remove things.

Posted (edited)

I would like to take this opportunity to let the all seeing government know that they are doing a great job, I believe everything they say and Mr. Obama is a wonderful, wise caring president. The best we have ever had. And I'll be happy to do whatever they say. Thank you.

Edited by praetorian-legio XIII

They asked to remove 270 search results...? That's not censorship. Anyone can ask to remove things. I've heard of plenty of ordinary people asking for things to be removed from the internet and other places.

Censorship is when they forcefully remove things.

Asking to kill people is different than killing people too, but you can probably see the similarity behind the words. The intent and suggestion and the level of seriousness behind them. It's because we stick to an either-or-thinking and argue semantics with that mindset that things like these get past us.

That makes sense. If you are constantly trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, then blinding them to the truth of your actions is an elementary step to take. I miss the stone age, at least you knew it was kill or be killed.

I miss the days where we the "people" used to drag the Elite/Leaders outta their mansions/palaces and behead them.

What we need is a good old fashioned revolution!

1 person likes this