Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lonesome George the last of his species dies

MysteryMike

Lol! Might be less boring if you do...

Might give her an excuse to hang around for another hour yacking on about a dead tortoise (no disrespect intended George).

Only one way to find out...

Another red letter day for humanity I see :angry:

• Like 1

That's Sad. :cat:

Edited by greywolf

Guys this is a tortoise... lol ( I don't want to come across as a correcting d***)

I was waiting for this. Poor George world be turning in his grave. Albeit slowly.

I wonder if they'll release a limited edition 'Lonesome George' handbag and shoe set to help raise money in the name of conservation?

Death isn't funny especially cause now the species is extinct

It's ok we're laughing with him, not at him - he had a pretty good sense of humour...

Also this thread should be viewed as a light hearted tribute, not a mockery. We all appreciate the significance of the loss.

Edited by Timonthy

So..how long was it before it was discovered that he was the last of his kind?

Sad that yet another species disappeared from our world.

Couldn't they take some DNA from him and try to clone a turtle? Or is there not enough money in it to make it worth while?

I'm not sure. But I think that if such a method were viable, we'd have done it already.

RIP big fella

If we could all be so lucky to live to 100.

RIP Lonesome George... they should make a memorial for him, to represent all the species we could have saved that gone extinct. He is the champion of the extinct species who died a lonesome death, I would there could have been something done. They could have clone a female turtle like Lonesome George, but damn liberal restrictions.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 1

RIP George. i stll dont get the difference between turtles and tortoises.

One has flippers the other has legs.

Rest in peace George. Rest in peace.

He is now named Dead George

• Like 2

RIP George. i stll dont get the difference between turtles and tortoises.

It may not be a scientific distinction, but turtles are generally aquatic, living in ponds, streams and the ocean, tortoises live in forests, savannah and desert. Turtles are more streamlined and usually have some webbing on their feet for swimming.

While it is a shame to lose a subspecies of the Galapagos Tortoise, there was a failed effort to breed "Lonesome George" with its closest related sub-species. Since that failed and the tortoise was a part of the ecosystem of its particular island, it seems reasonable to release young of the nearest related subspecies into George's former habitat. It's not a perfect solution but unless we can clone George (and somehow produce a female in the process) then it would be then next best solution. If the introduction proves to be a problem for the ecosystem the introduced animals could be collected and sent to zoos. They do fine in captivity and can be seen in zoos all over the world.

While it is a shame to lose a subspecies of the Galapagos Tortoise, there was a failed effort to breed "Lonesome George" with its closest related sub-species. Since that failed and the tortoise was a part of the ecosystem of its particular island, it seems reasonable to release young of the nearest related subspecies into George's former habitat. It's not a perfect solution but unless we can clone George (and somehow produce a female in the process) then it would be then next best solution. If the introduction proves to be a problem for the ecosystem the introduced animals could be collected and sent to zoos. They do fine in captivity and can be seen in zoos all over the world.

Probably couldn't get it up poor thing, he was, like, 100!

Edited by WillSoMysterious

rip big man!

ahh well, another proud moment for the human race. one more species wiped off the map!

• 2 weeks later...

ahh well, another proud moment for the human race. one more species wiped off the map!

Most would find that offensive, sadly its very accurate. I'm betting a lot of people will forget about George in less than a month
  • Like 1

Most would find that offensive, sadly its very accurate. I'm betting a lot of people will forget about George in less than a month

Offensive?

Offensive?

Embarrassing?

Whats going on!?

Sorry Super-Fly, didn't mean to confuse you. I was suggesting if you swapped the word that you questioned ('offensive') with the word 'embarrassing' then Tx-Perkyness' post might make more sense to you...

'Most would find that embarrassing, sadly its very accurate. I'm betting a lot of people will forget about George in less than a month'

or

We should be embarrassed by the fact that man may have contributed to the extinction of another species.

I would say we leave it open to suggestion what word is best suited to replace 'offensive', but this thread is as dead as George now...