Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious ancient ruins found in Syria

Evidence of an ancient city that could predate the Egyptian Pyramids has been discovered in Syria.

A mystery city lies in Syria’s deserts, one older than the pyramids -- but the war-torn area is preventing archaeologists from decoding its riddles.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

LOVE it not 100% convinced yet but will wait for the re-turn trip.

there may not be an ancient ruins soon .. or all syria will be ancient ruins probably

they already destroyed a historic ancient castle by tanks and aircraft

• Like 1

Its a shame, we will probably never ever get to see it.

Who knows what else is to be discovered in places like Syria and Iran, guess we will never know, atleast not in our life time.

Sad, these places are so important to world history. I think even back then they knew the importance of tourism. When you destroy your history you destroy the jobs you would have from visitors who want to see and understand these places.

• Like 1

let alone alhifa village which was settled by saladin personally which big history stand behind it is also on the list of " wipe out "

some of the people who live there are the descendants of people who fought alongside with Saladin

• Like 1

Interesting stuff, “Syria’s Stonehenge.”

If things keep gping the way the are over in Syria, there be some new ruins joining the ancient ones soon

Another fascinating find that will have to wait the end of human stoopidity. So sad.

• Like 1

Here a bit more, plus a couple of photos of this "Stonehenge" (looks like the goats have already eaten it, lol):

Dr. Mason set out to look for more stone circles and chambered structures. This time he brought a monk with him, from the monastery – a good idea, since he was near a Syrian military base.

“Lurking around in the hills above a Syrian military base with a digital camera in one hand and a GPS unit in the other is the sort of thing that makes you want to have a monk in your presence,” he said.

The two of them went to a rock outcrop – a place that would have been a good source of flint in ancient times. He found the remains of more of these corbelled structures – between six and eight of them. In the valley below they found another corbelled structure with a stone circle right beside it.

post-18246-0-73502000-1340734530_thumb.j

The monk who travelled with him sensed that this high outcrop would have been of great importance to the people who lived here. “This is a high place” he told Mason, something which their next find would justify.

http://heritage-key....ombs-discovered

• Like 1

Ahh yes once again they tantalise us with these tidbits only to take it away.

This struck me as indicative of the accuracy and possible correctness of the article, if not the referenced presentation.

Egypt’s oldest pyramid, the Great Pyramid of Giza, was built about 4,500 years ago.

I believe there were at least 3 great pyramids before the Giza pyramids were built. Dojier's Pyramid, the Bent Pyramid and the Red Pyramid, that I can remember off the top of my head.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

This struck me as indicative of the accuracy and possible correctness of the article, if not the referenced presentation.

I believe there were at least 3 great pyramids before the Giza pyramids were built. Dojier's Pyramid, the Bent Pyramid and the Red Pyramid, that I can remember off the top of my head.

Well, it is Fox News. :lol:

cormac

if it is older than the egyptians there would be more conflict with the Church.

Huh??

Lots of things are older than the Egyptians.

Göbekli Tepe in Turkey is 11,000 years old.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

The trouble is lines like this

but the war-torn area is preventing archaeologists from decoding its riddles

are heard too often in today's world of archelology, where is Indy when we need him!

• Like 1

See. War is good for something after all.

You blow up enough stuff you're bound to uncover some older stuff.

In a way, I can see how this could become a conflict with the churces leaders, since this conflicts with the notion of the earth being only 6,000 years old. This might put doubt in thier congertions minds, which tend to adhere to more of a creationist theory. We tend to find objects that diproves the creation theory since we find things that proves the theroy more often than not.

Also my post should read disproves this theroy more often than not.

such a shame that we most likely not get to see it for what it really is...

be good if one day they do get access to examine it. :tu:

• 4 months later...

It is odd (or just coincidence) that such a discovery to happen during a war...maybe something there?

Great find ... the Corbeled Roofs are interesting too.

¬

¬

¬

¬

corbel |ˈkôrbəl|nouna projection jutting out from a wall to support a structure above it.verb ( corbels, corbeling, corbeled ; chiefly Brit. corbels, corbelling,corbelled ) [ with obj. ] (often be corbeled out)support (a structure such as an arch or balcony) on corbels.ORIGIN late Middle English: from Old French, diminutive of corp ‘crow,’ fromLatin corvus ‘raven’ (perhaps because of the shape of a corbel, resembling a crow's beak).