Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do babies see spirits of some kind?

Beckys_Mom

This is something I really need to ask...

Lately my 8 week old son begun to show smiles at us ( which is cute ) but oddly at times he tends to draw his attention away from us to look towards a wall or up at the ceiling..stare for a bit..then giggle and smile while staring at the spot.. At times when I watch him to see what it is he is laying up smiling and giggling at.. he eyes move like he is watching something fly around above his head as he is smiling ..he even would let out a quick baby sound cooing at whatever it is... I look to see in case its a fly or something but nothing is there..!!!

He still stares at the ceiling and breaks into a giggle..kicking his tiny legs with glee...I keep looking wondering what on earth has him so amused?..And I think - What is he looking at that makes him move his head as if he can see something moving while he smiles at it? .

I remember that when my 6 yr old was just a baby ..she too was like that...but only as a baby, it didn't last long with her at all in fact I vaguely remember much of it ...

I have sat trying hard to think of some logical explanation as to why he is doing this now and again...

So I need to ask - Is this just a baby thing? OR.. Is there something else that maybe we cannot see and only babies can? it baffles me to be honest ..I am forever trying to figure out some logical explanation...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

am not sure wheather it's culture belief or religion's belief this one is

but we believe babies see things we don't

ever left a baby alone and watched it to find it giggling and laughing by himself ? :D

they say angels makes the babies laugh :D

but i guess we'll never find out

• Like 1

I have heard babies can see things we can't. Could be deceased relatives coming to see the new baby.

• Like 2

I've heard that babies can hear higher frequencies than adults can, but I don't know anything about their vision or the perception of the environment that surrounds them. I guess it could be something, and maybe a spirit could be the answer. But unless your baby can tell you what he's laughing about, you're not going to find a definitive answer.

• Like 1

Sight

From the day your baby's born, his eyes will aid his physical, mental, and emotional development by allowing him to take in information — a little bit at first, and eventually much more — about the world around him.

When it develops

Unlike a baby's hearing, which is fully mature by the end of his first month outside the womb, the sense of sight develops gradually over 6 to 8 months, at which point your baby will see the world almost as well as you do.

While your newborn's eyes are physically capable of seeing just fine at birth, his brain isn't ready to process all that visual information, so things stay pretty fuzzy for a while. As his brain develops, so does his ability to see clearly, giving him the tools he needs to understand and manage his environment. Though your baby starts out life being able to see only as far as your face when you hold him, his range of clarity grows steadily, month by month.

How it develops

At first your baby can't focus farther than 8 to 12 inches away — just far enough to make out the face of the person holding him. He can detect light, shapes, and movement beyond that, but it's all pretty blurry right now. Appropriately enough, your face is the most fascinating thing to your baby at this age (followed by high-contrast patterns such as a checkerboard), so be sure to give him plenty of up-close time.

1 month

At birth your baby didn't know how to use his eyes in tandem, so they may have wandered randomly or even crossed now and then. This month or next, he'll be able to consistently focus both eyes and track a moving object. A rattle passed in front of his face will often transfix him as he explores this newfound ability. He may also enjoy playing eyes-to-eyes with you: With your face very close to his, move your head slowly from side to side, with your eyes and his eyes locked.

2 months

Your baby could see color from birth, but he had difficulty distinguishing similar tones, such as red and orange. That's one reason he preferred black-and-white or high-contrast patterns. For the next few months, his brain's at work learning to distinguish colors. As a result, he'll probably begin to show a preference for bright primary colors and more detailed and complicated designs. Encourage this development by showing him pictures, photos, books, and <a href="http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-appropriate-toys_5.bc" title="">toys. For the next couple of months, he'll also be perfecting his object-tracking skills.

4 months

Your baby's beginning to develop depth perception. Until now, it was tough for him to locate an object's position, size, and shape, then get a message from his brain to his hand to reach out and grasp it. At 4 months, he has both the motor development to handle the task and the maturity in his brain circuitry to coordinate all the moves needed to accomplish it. You can help him practice by offering him easy-to-grasp toys like rattles (otherwise he'll go for your easy-to-grasp hair, glasses, or earrings).

5 months

Your baby is getting better at spotting very small items and tracking moving objects. He may even be able to recognize something after seeing only part of it. This is evidence of his budding understanding of object permanence (knowing that things exist even when he can't see them at the moment), which is why he loves to play peekaboo. He can probably distinguish between similar bold colors and will start working on more subtle differences in pastels.

8 months

Your baby's vision — between 20/200 and 20/400 at birth — is almost adult in its clarity and depth perception at this point. Though his attention is more focused on objects that are close by, his vision is strong enough to recognize people and objects across the room. His eyes are probably close to their final color, though you may see subtle changes later.......

Plenty more here :

http://www.babycenter.com/0_developmental-milestones-sight_6508.bc

• Like 2

my daughter used to do the same thing when she was a baby. I always felt that she was "seeing" things that we "learn" not to as we develop cognitively.

I thought this was a cool way of understanding it when I read it:

Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul

by Deepak Chopra

By the time a baby emerges into the world, evolution has overshot the mark. Your brain was too complex as a newborn, with millions of unnecessary neuronal connections built into it, like a telephone system with too many wires. You spent your first few years paring down those millions of surplus connections, discarding the ones you didn't need, keeping those that functioned to make you exactly who you were. But at that point physical evolution reached unknown territory. Choices had to be made that were not automatically built into your genes.

A baby stands at the frontier of the unknown, and its genes have no more old pages left in the encyclopedia. You had to write the next page yourself. As you did so, starting the process of forming a totally unique life, your body kept pace: your genes adapted to how you think, feel, and act.

So my belief is that a baby has the ability to connect with these other "planes" and as they age learn to perceive the world as we do.

http://www.dailyom.c.../000002208.html

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 1

am not sure wheather it's culture belief or religion's belief this one is

but we believe babies see things we don't

ever left a baby alone and watched it to find it giggling and laughing by himself ? :D

they say angels makes the babies laugh :D

but i guess we'll never find out

Yes that is what I have done..but he still looks up at a blank white celing and then moves his eyes as if he is following something moving.. When I look myself I don't see anything..but there he is giggling and cooing at.......nothing lol

I have heard babies can see things we can't. Could be deceased relatives coming to see the new baby.

I too have heard the same..many have...I think that if it is ture..then maybe they only appear to the babies knowing the baby wont freak out..as we would ? <-- just a thought of my own..I don't know to be honest

I've heard that babies can hear higher frequencies than adults can, but I don't know anything about their vision or the perception of the environment that surrounds them. I guess it could be something, and maybe a spirit could be the answer. But unless your baby can tell you what he's laughing about, you're not going to find a definitive answer.

You are correct, I may not find a definite answer...and as I noticed my last child doing the same a few years ago..then he too will eventually stop like she did

Sight

From the day your baby's born, his eyes will aid his physical, mental, and emotional development by allowing him to take in information — a little bit at first, and eventually much more — about the world around him.

When it develops

Unlike a baby's hearing, which is fully mature by the end of his first month outside the womb, the sense of sight develops gradually over 6 to 8 months, at which point your baby will see the world almost as well as you do.

While your newborn's eyes are physically capable of seeing just fine at birth, his brain isn't ready to process all that visual information, so things stay pretty fuzzy for a while. As his brain develops, so does his ability to see clearly, giving him the tools he needs to understand and manage his environment. Though your baby starts out life being able to see only as far as your face when you hold him, his range of clarity grows steadily, month by month.

How it develops

At first your baby can't focus farther than 8 to 12 inches away — just far enough to make out the face of the person holding him. He can detect light, shapes, and movement beyond that, but it's all pretty blurry right now. Appropriately enough, your face is the most fascinating thing to your baby at this age (followed by high-contrast patterns such as a checkerboard), so be sure to give him plenty of up-close time.

1 month

At birth your baby didn't know how to use his eyes in tandem, so they may have wandered randomly or even crossed now and then. This month or next, he'll be able to consistently focus both eyes and track a moving object. A rattle passed in front of his face will often transfix him as he explores this newfound ability. He may also enjoy playing eyes-to-eyes with you: With your face very close to his, move your head slowly from side to side, with your eyes and his eyes locked.

2 months

Your baby could see color from birth, but he had difficulty distinguishing similar tones, such as red and orange. That's one reason he preferred black-and-white or high-contrast patterns. For the next few months, his brain's at work learning to distinguish colors. As a result, he'll probably begin to show a preference for bright primary colors and more detailed and complicated designs. Encourage this development by showing him pictures, photos, books, and <a href="http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-appropriate-toys_5.bc" title="">toys. For the next couple of months, he'll also be perfecting his object-tracking skills.

4 months

Your baby's beginning to develop depth perception. Until now, it was tough for him to locate an object's position, size, and shape, then get a message from his brain to his hand to reach out and grasp it. At 4 months, he has both the motor development to handle the task and the maturity in his brain circuitry to coordinate all the moves needed to accomplish it. You can help him practice by offering him easy-to-grasp toys like rattles (otherwise he'll go for your easy-to-grasp hair, glasses, or earrings).

5 months

Your baby is getting better at spotting very small items and tracking moving objects. He may even be able to recognize something after seeing only part of it. This is evidence of his budding understanding of object permanence (knowing that things exist even when he can't see them at the moment), which is why he loves to play peekaboo. He can probably distinguish between similar bold colors and will start working on more subtle differences in pastels.

8 months

Your baby's vision — between 20/200 and 20/400 at birth — is almost adult in its clarity and depth perception at this point. Though his attention is more focused on objects that are close by, his vision is strong enough to recognize people and objects across the room. His eyes are probably close to their final color, though you may see subtle changes later.......

Plenty more here :

http://www.babycente...s-sight_6508.bc

Thanks for that info.. it is helpful like a step by step guide to how a baby develops...He is starting to recognize us more.. I noticed this when my husband came home from work and sat in front of the baby.. the sec he sat down little Aaron gave him a great big happy smile looking directly at him...It was nice and made my husband feel good...

my daughter used to do the same thing when she was a baby. I always felt that she was "seeing" things that we "learn" not to as we develop cognitively.

I thought this was a cool way of understanding it when I read it:

Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul

by Deepak Chopra

By the time a baby emerges into the world, evolution has overshot the mark. Your brain was too complex as a newborn, with millions of unnecessary neuronal connections built into it, like a telephone system with too many wires. You spent your first few years paring down those millions of surplus connections, discarding the ones you didn't need, keeping those that functioned to make you exactly who you were. But at that point physical evolution reached unknown territory. Choices had to be made that were not automatically built into your genes.

A baby stands at the frontier of the unknown, and its genes have no more old pages left in the encyclopedia. You had to write the next page yourself. As you did so, starting the process of forming a totally unique life, your body kept pace: your genes adapted to how you think, feel, and act.

So my belief is that a baby has the ability to connect with these other "planes" and as they age learn to perceive the world as we do.

http://www.dailyom.c.../000002208.html

Thanks for this..I think if more new parents took a little time to read things like this and what was posted above regarding a babys development and how it works.. I think more parents would hold a greater understanding.....

But the giggling and looking as if he is watching something move around..it will continue for a while.. until he develops more and starts to point and talk..

As Sakari pointed out, it's all perfectly normal development and hardly paranormal.

The reason your child is laughing at the ceiling or the corner of the room is that it's the first time he's been able to see it.

Frankly, I'd be concerned if he wasn't doing these things.

My two never really did anything 'strange' when they were really small but once they got a little older there were a few incidents that I had a hard time trying to explain. lol.

The weirdest one happened when my son was just over a year. He was going through a "shy" phase with strangers and whenever someone he wasn't used to came around he would clam up and look down at his feet and refuse to talk.

So anyway, he and I were alone one day and I was video taping him playing on his truck. He was bouncing on it and giggling and and really happy. Something caught his in eye in the the hallway mid laugh and he suddenly stopped bouncing and just dropped his head down. I asked him what was the matter and he just pointed to the hallway and said, "Dat". No one was there, so I don't know what could have made him get so self conscious all of a sudden. I have it on video still somewhere.

He was able to pick my grandparents out of pictures when he had never (to my knowledge) seen photos of them before. So who knows?

Edited by sarah_444

when my son was only a few weeks old i had him in his swing while i was making his bottle.

when i went back to the swing he was on the floor laughing laying on his back.i think and believe it was my mom playing and checking on him..my mom passed on aug 17,2005 and my son wyatt was born jan 24,2006.my mom had a paranormal gift of seeing and hearing thing's which has been passed down.my son who has seen his grandma and shadow people as i have.

• 4 weeks later...
He still stares at the ceiling and breaks into a giggle..kicking his tiny legs with glee...I keep looking wondering what on earth has him so amused?..And I think - What is he looking at that makes him move his head as if he can see something moving while he smiles at it? .

I remember that when my 6 yr old was just a baby ..she too was like that...but only as a baby, it didn't last long with her at all in fact I vaguely remember much of it ...

That is just normal visual and body development in infants of that age. They lack the muscle control that older babies, children, and adults have...therefore their eyes seems to drift off/away. It does appear that they're looking at something specific, however, it is just undeveloped muscle control which they build up rather quickly - hence the "it didn't last long" effect.

Babies also exercise and help develop the muscles in their arms and legs by flailing them about (not on thoughful purpose, they just do it, instinctlvely like drinking from a bottle), whether they're excited, happy, angry, or whatever.... it's just healthy exercise and also a normal part of their development. Nothing out of the ordinary happening here. :tu:

when my son was only a few weeks old i had him in his swing while i was making his bottle.

when i went back to the swing he was on the floor laughing laying on his back.i think and believe it was my mom playing and checking on him..my mom passed on aug 17,2005 and my son wyatt was born jan 24,2006.my mom had a paranormal gift of seeing and hearing thing's which has been passed down.my son who has seen his grandma and shadow people as i have.

How did he get out of the swing?

Sight

When it develops

How it develops

1 month

2 months

4 months

5 months

8 months

Plenty more here :

http://www.babycente...s-sight_6508.bc

i bet u copy pasted this :lol:

when babies are under 2 years old, their nervous systems are stll immature. they shiver at sudden or gradual changes of temperature and they are extremely sensitive, especially if they are younger than 1 years old. they could laugh unexpectedly because their nervous system is stll maturing and even feel ticklish when you blow on them and tend to look around where he/she is taking in the environment. when babies are old than 4 months they tend to look up at the ceiling cuz they can lol and they crawl around drinking in their surroundings. i think yur baby is just a bit sensitive and is just looking around and laughing. its totally normal. nothing paranormal about. btw when my sister was 8 months old she use to do this too. a way to test if yur baby is rlly seeing angels :innocent: or demons :devil: or ghosts is to light a candle and put it at a place where yur baby could see it. then walk to the candle inside your baby's line of vision. see if your baby is looking at the candle flame. stay stll for about 5 seconds (stll in yur baby's line of vision) then suddenly move away. the baby would look over at you cuz you suddenly move and he/she was concentrating on the flame. so nothing paranormal about the way your baby was acting. hope this helped ;)

Sources: The Doctors Show, ParentingHelp, Dr. Phil