Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dreaming of short moments

DreamingOutLoud

There were a few instances in my life where I dream of things and it happens in the future, and when it happens, they're short moments. I don't remember all of them, but one of them was when I dreamt of seeing this place with wooden walls and some objects. A year later, or some time, I went to Canada. I was at a restaurant and I looked up and saw the same wooden walls, and I had this really weird feeling when I saw it. This feeling seemed to take over me for a few seconds, and the feeling was intense. After the few seconds, I would feel fine, but I knew I dreamt of that place before.

Almost every time I have one of these kind of happenings, I feel the same intense feeling when I realize that I've dreamt of it before. They're all short moments that lasts about a few seconds. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for these "dejavu" thing to happen, sometimes its longer. But when It happens, I know I dreamt of it before.

I'm not sure why I get these kind of de ja vu feelings. Maybe they mean something in my life? But when I think back, I don't know how these short moments impacted my life. If i was really a psychic, I would be a useless psychic, because they're all short moments, and I don't know when they'll happen until it actually happens.

Sometimes I feel like I got these "powers" from my mom, because she's able to dream of things (longer than mine) and they actually happen. But they're all random, it's not like we can choose to dream of them.

Have anyone ever had something like that happen to them? And what does this mean?

Edited by DreamingOutLoud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have anyone ever had something like that happen to them? And what does this mean?

Judging by what appears frequently in these forums, it is commonplace. Certainly, if you are having detailed dreams that you remember, that subsequently are played out in reality, it gradually dawns that this phenomenon is more than mere co-incidences piled one upon another. A lot seem to foreshadow events of no particular consequence , I can only wonder what it all means, but it possibly is, or perhaps ought to be, and in fact may well be, a demonstration from beyond that what we take as the order of reality is not the whole story at all, or even more than a tiny part thereof ! What bestows this demonstration, and why it is given to only some, and not all the time, I cannot judge. But if you find those who will advise it is all an illusion and a consequence of chance "hits" amidst a sea of "misses", trust me they know not what they speak of.

• Like 3

It seems like a classic deja vu to me. Over 70% of population had at least deja vu in their lives, so although it's really strange phenomenon, it is actually very common.

And to your question, it could mean anything. But I've always thought that it somehow connects with your inner feelings and emotions. You've said you saw some wooden wall - could it be some sign of limitation in your life? Or do you feel limited?

• Like 1

I heartily agree with Habitat and have documented a few of these experiences of my own here over time - very much as the OP has stated, random and often "inconsequential" events but nonetheless they seem to constantly remind me I am a part of something larger than I can imagine and our concept of time past/present/future has some serious flaws.

The Astral plane? or whatever our minds tap into while in a sleeping state does not seem to care if we tap into the future/present/or past in any particular order it seems - well, that is just one tiny possibility in a realm where we all just don't have the answers to why this happens atm.

• Like 1

There were a few instances in my life where I dream of things and it happens in the future, and when it happens, they're short moments. I don't remember all of them, but one of them was when I dreamt of seeing this place with wooden walls and some objects. A year later, or some time, I went to Canada. I was at a restaurant and I looked up and saw the same wooden walls, and I had this really weird feeling when I saw it. This feeling seemed to take over me for a few seconds, and the feeling was intense. After the few seconds, I would feel fine, but I knew I dreamt of that place before.

Almost every time I have one of these kind of happenings, I feel the same intense feeling when I realize that I've dreamt of it before. They're all short moments that lasts about a few seconds. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for these "dejavu" thing to happen, sometimes its longer. But when It happens, I know I dreamt of it before.

I'm not sure why I get these kind of de ja vu feelings. Maybe they mean something in my life? But when I think back, I don't know how these short moments impacted my life. If i was really a psychic, I would be a useless psychic, because they're all short moments, and I don't know when they'll happen until it actually happens.

Sometimes I feel like I got these "powers" from my mom, because she's able to dream of things (longer than mine) and they actually happen. But they're all random, it's not like we can choose to dream of them.

This happens to me all the time and your experiences are the closest to mine that ive have ever heard of. i know what you mean about being a useless psychic lol. i find most of the time its moments significant to my self but not to others that i dream of, always little small scenes of the future. i don't realize im dreaming of the future most of the time because it feels like its already happened to me before its happened. i would very much be interested swapping ideas with you as to give my self a clearer pespective.

Edited by libstaK
removed duplicate quote
  • Like 1

I do recall one dream that turned out to be remarkably prescient. In retrospect, I can now see that the dream showed firstly the event that would occur some years later, ( remarkably so ) and in the second part what the import of this really was. That second stage involved a group of people looking at a spectacular mountain range, partially shrouded in cloud. Someone pointed to a peak and opined that that was the highest point of the mountains. The others agreed, but gazing higher, much higher, I briefly espied through a fleeting break in the clouds, the true apex, a towering height. I derive from that, that my dream was a demonstration that what most people perceive as the acme of existence, was far from it, because our perceptions are clouded, and the ultimate truth shouded, because we are more drawn to the obvious and overt.

"The world is too much with us; late and soon,

Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers" ( William Wordsworth)

Hi,

Dreams are a much bigger part of our reality than the mind can comprehend. Mediums, Psychics, and Spiritual(?) people use their dream time as an extension of their physical reality. Dreams assist all of us constantly. The only real difference is that most of us are unaware of how integrated and multi-dimentional a human actually is.

I suspect that the more we use our dreams, the more our dreams will help us. There actually is a dream angel.

John

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have been dreaming of these short moments for the past 20 years or so now...I am 38 now :). when it happens I remember that I have seen it in my dream and I remember what will happen next but as soon as I remember it does not really continue to happen as I predict based on my dream. Things happen only till the second that I remember which is already in the past now... Most times I am glad that it does not continue the way it did in my dream as often its something unpleasant.

Love to create a group and we all start sharing and documenting what we experience..... There must be something that triggers the frequency of this instances as there are times that I get these deja vu's very frequent but other times it does not happen in months....

Years ago I had a recurring dream of travelling along the spine of a forested ridge along a dirt road. I would follow the road gradually going up up up to a place I eventually wound up. It was a hillside on the east of that ridge. Finally towards the end of the series of dreams I had a dream where I met two people who lived below where I "landed".. they were riding around on khaki green quad runners. In one of the dreams I went to visit the man's wife in the cabin where they stayed just below the "landing" where i kept ending up.

Not long after this series a friend of mine offered me the chance to buy a piece of raw land she was selling at a great price. Even still it would be a struggle to afford and I would have had to literally piece together credit cards, borrowing from family etc. to make it happen. I'd never seen it before, nor had I ever driven out this road; but on the first day I drove out to look at the place, about one mile in on the road...along the spine of a forested ridge...my jaw dropped. It was EXACTLY the dreamscape to the letter. When we arrived out in the middle of nowhere, the nearest neighbor down the east-facing hillside where the land was , came driving up on his khaki green quad runner. His wife who I met later was the same women who I had met in the cabin where they lived. Even her mannerisms and his were the same as the people in my dream.

Needless to say I decided on the spot to buy this land. The price was just too low to refuse. We had to work really hard and invested a lot of time but that deal made it so we can pay our bills today. If we hadn't done that deal we would've lost the place where we are now.

I've had other dreams where exact details came true to the letter. Once I was warned about a legal ambush some people had been planning under the guise of doing some friendly repairs together. I was being invited to go to a certain locale where the ambush was planned (as told to me in my dream). The next day a neighbor who I had reservations about invited me to help work on a tree that was threatening to fall on my spring box and on theirs too. As warned in the dream I told her to go ahead and deal with the tree on their own...made excuses and hung up the phone wanting nothing to do with the project at all. Came to learn later that these people who had not wanted me to have my springbox there in the first place had a hidden camera set up and were planning a conversation where they were going to try to lure me into stating that I would relinquish my water rights. Learned this all a year or so later when one of the fringe players broke off from their group and confessed to me.

The details that showed up in that dream were the people who were involved in the ruse were only half-into it. The real planners were a group much much more into harming me than just some stupid spring box in a creek. The psuedo-planners showed up in the dream in my kitchen and told me all about what they were going to do. It was like their better selves came forward in the dreams to betray their lower selves that were fearful/obedient to the more severe ringleaders. I remember the dream so clearly and being so lucid that I questioned in the dream if it was real. So I leaned forward and could trace the grain pattern in the wood of my cabinets and noticed every feature of my kitchen was exactly as it is in waking life, none of it shifted, it all was static and unfolded just like an ordinary conversation. All seemed to have that "glow" to it that lucid dreams take on...a certain extra "realness" of the features of the dream instead of the usual shifting, flat, two dimensional features of ordinary dreams.

Edited by SSilhouette

• 2 years later...

Hi 

A friend of mine has had the exact same experience as you the midnight_owl. He had something really significant happen six years after he dreamed it. He got that old deja vu sensation and the vague feeling that he had dreamed about this event. During the time of the dream he had been keeping a dream diary, so was able to establish beyond a doubt that he had experienced this event in a dream.

I have had many such dreams. And many more that didn't, or have not yet transpired. Do you ever have day dreams which become real? I sometimes do. The first time I became aware of the day dream thing was when I was a teenager. I was walking to a woman's home to look at a second hand car. I had never met her before. On my way, I had a day dream/ bit of a fantasy that she was wearing a red tartan skirt, pleated and slightly frumpy. She had straight black shoulder length hair, had a very very specific look and was selling the car because it had been her husbands and he was now dead. Make of that what you will, it was a fleeting day dream soon brushed aside. But when I arrived and she opened the door she was exactly as I had seen her in my minds eye. She was selling the car not because it was her husbands, who was still alive and kicking, but because it was her fathers, who recently died. 

There have been many other such occurrences from day dreams, things that come during meditation and from proper dreams. Some  of them much more spectacular. Of course, not all arise in the world of tangible experience. Sometimes I think that if you focus too much on a dream it seems to stifle its own birth. When you pay little attention it seems that you are more likely to experience the event in waking consciousness. Perhaps if you give something too much thought you introduce doubts and that has an effect. Or perhaps, when you dream, you see what could potentially become real, and if life events are not fixed, only some of them enter into our waking consciousness. A sort of glimpse at the world of possible life events. I don't think it matters that much why or how it happens. The be aware of the mystery of life is amazing in itself.

• 6 months later...

It’s nice to know other people have experience these visions as well.

I have several dreams that I call glimpse to the future, as they actually came about 

but it’s nothing special, it’s just random 

i wont realise it until it’s happened. Like a lot of people here 

something will happen in the present and somehow it’ll give you that feeling of déjà vu  next the next moment will be like clock work you know what the next comments or conversations from people  around you will be coz you’ve this it in a dream before. 

When I was in high school, I Used to dream of a guy I thought was my crush in school, but we’re both grown up in my dream I knew it’s him coz I feel that I like him a lot, in my dream he is my boyfriend. It turns up he is my now husband who I met in a different country 

I told him I’ve seen him before (didn’t tell him in my dreams). Fast forward.. when we were already gf-bf I dream I’ll marry a different man someone chubby, with big tummy and bald head. I didn’t see his face coz when I run to him in a party and hug him his tummy was big and I didn’t see his face as I run to him I notice he is bald in the dream this didn’t seem to bother me all I felt is love for this man as I hug him hello. I told my sister oh no I think this is not my last bf coz I’ve dreamt of hugging my hubby with bug tummy, chubby and bald head. My bf is fit and with curly-ish longish hair.  20 yrs and 3 kids later my then bf now husband is chubby, bald and with big tummy. 

When I was in uni, i dream of working in hospital with these people I feel close too but haven’t met yet. 3 yrs later it came true, I end up working with this people in this hospital. 

When I was working in phils I dreamt I was working with 2 people a man and a woman both blonde hair and definitely not Asian.

becauee I was in Asia I thought the dream was vcoz  im watching CSI, few years later 

we migrated to Australia and I end up working with this 2 people that was on my dream when I was still in Phils.

3 yrs ago i dreams 

workjng on a project with people I haven’t met before. In the dream thou I feel that I know them That they are my work mates. This morning it happened.  It was creepy how when I was having the dejavu I knew Lori will say something and maddie will reply to it 

which happened as soon as I remember it will happen next.

why is this?

I Was in University i started a what would become a 7yryr relationship with my best friend this is  when I was in phils during my Uni days.

we broke up, I went to Australia.

after that every time I dream of him dying 

when I woke up, I’ll check my social media or ask my friends if he is ok. I will find out he is very Much ok and is a relationship.

everytine I dreamt That he died  (I’m in a different country )it turns out he is in a new relationship. 

Why is this? 

1 hour ago, Chari said:

3 yrs ago i dreams 

workjng on a project with people I haven’t met before. In the dream thou I feel that I know them That they are my work mates. This morning it happened.  It was creepy how when I was having the dejavu I knew Lori will say something and maddie will reply to it 

which happened as soon as I remember it will happen next.

why is this?

Hi,

This is a precognative dream. You would need to ask your dream author that question.

John

1 hour ago, Chari said:

everytine I dreamt That he died  (I’m in a different country )it turns out he is in a new relationship. 

Why is this? 

Hi,

I suspect you have a deep energetic bond with him. His relationship death and re-birth experience are some thing you wish to be informed about (at some level).

John

On 6/30/2012 at 12:39 AM, DreamingOutLoud said:

Hello @DreamingOutLoud

I don't know what these dreams mean, but I can relate.   I have this short visions/dreams  very frequently with people that I've met in the past or in my present life.   It has become very common and I don't even question it anymore; some of the "dreams" become reality and some others I forget.   

If I see something in my dreams that I believe may be helpful for somebody, I will share it with the person.  

Light and Love!

• 3 months later...

It's cool to see so many other people experiencing this phenomenon. I'm a 24 year female and I have experienced the same thing as the OP and various others.  It used to happen pretty rarely, but has been getting more common as I grow older.  I believe I was around 10 (or younger) when it first happened.  I was at a waterpark in the children's section, positioned at the top of a white slide and I was sure I had dreamt that simple moment in the past. 

These experiences are definitely random most of the time, but I feel that my most current experience must have had some type of meaning. I was just reaching for my toothbrush in my bathroom while thinking about my current boyfriend because we had been texting at the moment.  The actual dream would have had to have been a year or two ago, but it did include that exact random second -- reaching for my toothbrush and just internally being aware of him as my significant other.  However, when I had the dream, I was with my previous boyfriend who I ended up being with for 9 years in total.  Things were not the same the last few years we were together and I subconsciously knew we probably were not going to end up together, so I find this interesting that my dreams would supply me that small look into the future.  The deja vu feeling that accompanies it almost makes you stop in your tracks, it's quite surreal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2012 at 1:47 AM, libstaK said:

I heartily agree with Habitat and have documented a few of these experiences of my own here over time - very much as the OP has stated, random and often "inconsequential" events but nonetheless they seem to constantly remind me I am a part of something larger than I can imagine and our concept of time past/present/future has some serious flaws.

The Astral plane? or whatever our minds tap into while in a sleeping state does not seem to care if we tap into the future/present/or past in any particular order it seems - well, that is just one tiny possibility in a realm where we all just don't have the answers to why this happens atm.

Ever tried astral projection?

To speak on this topic, I've had these experiences continuously and always chalked them up to the psychological phenomenon of deja-vu. Sometimes however, it can almost be uncanny how close these situations are to past dreams. I can't help but question if these were actually past dreams or some weird trick of the mind. I really should try to keep a dream journal

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue. But with one difference: this has been happening in my life for over five or six years. I am both confused and glad, in some way, that I am not the only one. I thought this kept happening only to me, so I didn t tell anyone about it because i was thinking that they won t believe me. I still wonder: can I or you change what we saw? It happened to me countless times and only in unimportant moments, and when happens it takes me some time to realise that i ve seen the exact same thing and heard the exact same things and did the exact same things before. Then I remember what was I doing when I "dreamed". Can anyone, please, give me some explanation?

Edited by Edward17

I've had similar experiences although i wouldnt call it deja vu or anything mysterious or paranormal. I've always assumed i have just dreamed a similar event and it kinda fits into a situation i find myself in at the time.

Our brains like patterns and will seek them out. Leading to what is known as confirmation bias. Then again, a subconscious motivation can lead to the self-fulfillment of a dream. 

On 30/06/2012 at 5:39 AM, DreamingOutLoud said:

There were a few instances in my life where I dream of things and it happens in the future, and when it happens, they're short moments.

Prove it and change the world.

• 6 months later...

The exact same thing has been happening to me for years. It's just like deja vu. It's actually what I attribute Deja Vu to. Like you said, it's useless random moments and always very brief, and the difference I think between us is that I don't actually remember the dreams until the moment and I'm having the deja vu. And then I just remember dreaming it clear as anything could be. It's usually a moment where I am in the exact same position I was in the dream looking at the exact same things. For example one time happened when I was cooking at a stove and a new caregiving job, and my boss was standing behind me. And I had the moment that I remember dreaming it, and I returned it before I'd met the boss, and even though I couldn't see him in the dream or in reality, in the dream I knew that there was a guy behind me and I knew it was even though I haven't met him yet. I think this happens because we all have potential access to a sixth sense. And the thing is, we can work on developing that. There are books and things on that topic, how to work on your Sixth Sense and develop it to be stronger. I have other things that happen, like something will occur to me just before it happens something so random that I would have no reason to think that it might happen except that it does right after I think of it. It's usually like a thot gets put in my head from somewhere else right before whatever the thought is comes true. But yeah the dream thing, it's been happening to me for a long time and the thing that I think is most fascinating about it, is that it shows me that the potential to see the future is there. Maybe even time travel. Who Knows? But if We're Dreaming things that haven't happened yet, that means that we are seeing into the future that's already determined.

On 5/9/2019 at 3:00 AM, Juliamariemadness said:

But if We're Dreaming things that haven't happened yet, that means that we are seeing into the future that's already determined.

Hi,

My understanding is that precognition is about future potential probable outcomes. Humans have free choice and that means some potentials are not pre-determined.

John

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Just writing to share and maybe find some answers. When I was younger, I've had quite lucid dreams that came true. I remember two of these occasions because they trouble me deeply as to the implications of what we believe, and what we don't believe, about time and space.

These dreams were experienced before I was 15 years old and manifested themselves in real life a few years after that. I am not much of a writer so I will just describe these 2 situations as I remember them.

1) This is how it happened: I was walking with my younger brother, we were both old enough to smoke legally. I remember we were walking across a parking lot headed toward a pub, it was after 8pm in the early winter in Winnipeg, Canada. I looked up and saw this lady walking toward us... I quickly stopped my brother and told him everything that was about to happen, trying to get every detail in that I could remember, because years earlier I dreamt this exact moment in time.... I told him the following, and it happened exactly like in my dream except for the details of me stopping and telling my brother everything prior to it happening. I said,"I've dreamt this before! See that lady, she is going to walk past us, stop and turn towards us and ask for a smoke, you are going to offer her one then I'm going to offer her one, she will reach for yours and then after I offer her mine she will say that is her brand and she will take mine." It played out exactly, and every detail of our surroundings and her face and what we were all wearing were exactly the same as in my dream.

2)Sitting in my ex-wife's parents house, I was talking with my wife and her sister, months after we had started dating. We were sitting around the kitchen and it wasn't until we were all sitting in a certain position that my dream came back to me and I knew what was going to happen for the next 2 to 3 minutes. Until that moment in time, I never felt that I knew my ex-wife or her sister before but it seems that as soon as I reached the point in time that coincided with my dream I realized that I had seen both of them 5 or 6 years before in a dream that was and exact carbon copy of what was happening at that moment.

The only thing in any of my dreams that I have experienced, that never came to fruition in the moment that happened in real life,was the part where I realized that I had the dream before that revealed everything that would happen.

Comments? Explanations?