Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV Documentary on Buteyko Method

Karlis

Current Affair TV Documentary on Buteyko Asthma Relief Method

Is the Buteyko breathing method an effective way to gain relief from asthma? Or is improvement gained a result from a placebo effect?

Please discuss and comment.

Edited by Karlis

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karlis

• libstaK

• han45

Top Posters In This Topic

So the doctors are not even willing to commit to a proper trial to set this question to rest? I think the anecdotal evidence presented in the vid deserves a better response than that.

If the "Placebo" effect of telling an asthmatic that they are going to get better with a particular treatment is so considerable then how do they explain the continuation and increase in chronic sufferers to date? Do Doctors not tell their patients the medication they are going to give them will make them better?

Ultimately, if it's not doing any harm and it is providing the patient with a means of self monitoring and sense of control of their condition I don't see the problem. The teacher of the method is not making grandiose claims of "curing" asthma that I can see, simply a means of managing it to the extent it is not requiring alternative meds as often or at all.

The last patient specifically mentioned that it continues to require "work" on his part to manage. This is not a bad thing as remaining conscious of possible issues can certainly prevent them from tripping into serious outbreaks or reaching life threatening levels.

~~~ ...

... The teacher of the method is not making grandiose claims of "curing" asthma that I can see, simply a means of managing it to the extent it is not requiring alternative meds as often or at all.

Yes, this is the key point in the video, which is of importance, imo: "... the method is not making grandiose claims of "curing" asthma that I can see, simply a means of managing it to the extent it is not requiring alternative meds as often or at all."

That said, has anyone on UM tried the Buteyko breathing method? If so, what are your comments?

• 6 months later...

I have and use the buteyko breathing method. It worked 100% for me. I have had asthma for the past forty years and now I understand how to control my asthma. I no longer need medication. Really, it is simply retraining yourself how to breath correctly. It is extremely simple but also works. I can't believe that a doctor would not try this method with his patients after all it was developed by a Russian doctor who conducted breathing research for about 40 years. The trials have already been done.