Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My boy has an imaginary friend!

Moon Gazer

So, my little boy has an imaginary friend. I know there are a lot of people who do believe that imaginary friends may be spirits that particular children can see.

I did have an imaginary friend when I was a kid and can remember her clear as a bell. I remember her as clearly as any of my “real” friends from the same kind of time.

I have no reason to believe that Dan’s imaginary friend is anything other than exactly that. He said he is called Jake and plays with him when no one else is playing out. The main reason I believe it isn’t a spirit is that Jake constantly looses at football against my Dan and Dan isn’t particularly good at it lol.

I just wondered what people’s experiences of imaginary friends are and what causes people to think they may be spirits?

If Jake is from a time when football didn't exist, it doesn't matter how good Dan is at it in reality, he'll always be better than someone totally unfamiliar with the game.

I had an imaginary friend when I was in elementary school and I know she wasn't a spirit because I remember so little about her and she only came around while I was at school. Not very fun, that. LOL

my imaginary friends did not show up until I was about 12,13 yrs old....And they were all women and did not stick around long....A minute or two...

• Like 3

Thats a good example of the kind of imaginative play that shows a good level of creative development. Nothing to worry about and nothing to get the ghostbusters out of bed for.

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 1

Thats a good example of the kind of imaginative play that shows a good level of creative development. Nothing to worry about and nothing to get the ghostbusters out of bed for.

Darn it, I was kind of looking forward to calling the ghost busters haha.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Dan hasn't mentioned Jake in the last few days. I think he tends to appear when he is bored at weekends :)

• 10 months later...

Well from the original post I would say that Jake stuck around for maybe 3 months or so. I know some people think that kids can see spirits and then lose the ability once adults start saying their friend is just in their imagination, but I would never say anything like that to my kids. I've had some strange enough experiences to convince me there is *something* (not sure what!) more than what we just see here and now.

Guess Dan's friend just eventually moved on. Dan just stopped talking about him.

Wait, people can see imaginary friends? I had one when I was little named DoubleJean (no. idea.) but I knew it wasn't real and mostly just used it as a facilitator of different games with my parents, such as "Can I have another cookie for DoubleJean?" or "DON'T SIT THERE, YOU'LL SQUISH HIM!" stuff like that. Have you truly seen your imaginary friend?

Who are you even talking to? Or are you just rambling with zero contribution to the thread for the sake of it?

Well, if you read the OP, they say they remember their imaginary friends vividly. This is alien to me. It is regarding imaginary friends, therefor it is relevant and not "rambling." Please don't feel the need to police threads, especially if you're going to do so poorly. Your comment is less of a contribution to the conversation than mine was. So as to not hijack this thread with pointless arguing, I will not reply to any further correspondence regarding the relevance of my comment. PM me if you are still infuriated at your confusion.

• Like 2

i find the whole imaginry friend thing with kids creepy

perhaps it's cultural thing ?

mostly it's nothing to worry about ask kids have big imagination

i live in middle east .. i have never had imaginry friend neither did i ever meet a kid here who have

so what's up with that ?

• Like 1

i live in middle east .. i have never had imaginry friend neither did i ever meet a kid here who have

so what's up with that ?

I do believe it is quite cultural. Not everyone has them, but they're definitely common. Children here are encouraged to be silly and imaginative all the time, embracing their playful side. Is it the same where you are? I know I've heard of several families of varying ethnicity telling their children to stifle their imaginations because it is a waste of time.

Dont they say kids that have imaginary friends grow up to be more intelligent?

I hope that's true.... I might get smart one day lol.

I actually DO remember my imaginary friend vividly. She wore a white dress, had blonde hair and her name was Sarah. I used to meet her behind our shed in our garden. Whether this is just an extremely vivid imagination, and I therefore created this image or someone to play with, or it was something, i don't know. But yes I remember her clearly, I can still see her in my mind now. Could just be a kids imagination, I don't know.

I do believe so. Higher creativity and imaginativity is quite highly positively correlated with intelligence.

• Like 1

I do believe so. Higher creativity and imaginativity is quite highly positively correlated with intelligence.

I thought so all I remember of my imaginary friend is that he wore a hoodie and was about the same size I was when I was about 10

My mom tells me I had one named Julie when I was a kid. I don't really remember her, but I don't remember a lot about my childhood because of a lot of trauma.

And for the record, tendo, I think you were very on topic.

• Like 1

I had an imaginary friend named Pete. I could see him quite clearly but I knew he was not "real", whatever that means. I am white and Pete was a large, heavy, African American man who wore a polo shirt a la skipper on Gilligan's Island and a ball cap. He worked at the high school athletic field across the wall in my back yard though he got precious little work done as he spent his time talking to me and watching me play. No matter where I was I always saw him in the athletic field so he carried his own location around with him.

I was asking for clarification who you were talking to, as it's courtesy to quote (at least imo) if there are several people your post could apply to. Or simply state who you're talking to. And your comment seemed to just be some kind of jab to me. If it wasn't, I apologise.

It's like with anything...they could be made up, as you did as a child, or not...can't tar every scenario with the same brush.

Oh, gosh, no no no! I do not insult unless insulted. I'm very sorry if it seemed my comment was a jab. If that is why you retorted the way you did, then I understand completely and I apologize for my reaction. I like to keep all environments nice and friendly :) You're right, though, I should have definitely quoted OP to be clear that I was directing my comment at them. Sorry, again!

My mom tells me I had one named Julie when I was a kid. I don't really remember her, but I don't remember a lot about my childhood because of a lot of trauma.

And for the record, tendo, I think you were very on topic.

Thank you. The situation seems to have been diffused, as it was just poor communication all around. Thanks for the support, though! :)

so what's up with that ?

I feel the same.

I have also never met someone that had an imaginary friend growing up, I've only ever heard of it in movies etc.

I have seen little kids talk to themselves though, which some people might think they're talking to an 'imaginary friend', maybe?

When I was little, apparently I had an imaginary white kitten that I would talk about. I don't remember that, it's just what I have been told by my parents. We didn't have any pets when I was that age so that was probably me just using my imagination.

My daughter is 4 now and will sit in her room playing with imaginary friends. She gives them made up names like, "Beeda" and "Toda" and just laughs when I try to play along with them saying, "They're just pretend Mom!"

When she was 2 though she told me about a little boy named "Jay" who comes down from the ceiling and would help her do puzzles. She talked about him for a few months and would be excited to show him new toys she got or to watch movies with him.

I had a lot of imaginary friends growing up - we would argue frequently and I would tell them to "take a hike" then I would have to find another one....

j/k... I did have imaginary friends, but I KNEW they were just pretend... The reason? I had 5 sisters - and no brother (my only brother came when I was 14 and he was too young to play with)... I did not want to "play house" (which is about all they wanted to do) so I played by myself mostly... (we moved every year and a half to two years, so I was often without other friends)...

I wouldn't worry about your childs imaginary friends... It's actually fairly normal... (At least I think I'm fairly normal)...

Edited by Taun

When I was little, apparently I had an imaginary white kitten that I would talk about. I don't remember that, it's just what I have been told by my parents. We didn't have any pets when I was that age so that was probably me just using my imagination.

My daughter is 4 now and will sit in her room playing with imaginary friends. She gives them made up names like, "Beeda" and "Toda" and just laughs when I try to play along with them saying, "They're just pretend Mom!"

When she was 2 though she told me about a little boy named "Jay" who comes down from the ceiling and would help her do puzzles. She talked about him for a few months and would be excited to show him new toys she got or to watch movies with him.

That sounds like some crazy stuff. I'd be asking her so many questions about that kid. I'd set up cameras and stuff to try to capture it. Did mention of him just fade away?