Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Frankenstein' mummies found in Scotland

questionmark

An international team of archaeologists have discovered that two mummies found on an island off the coast of Scotland are, like Dr. Frankenstein's monster, composed of body parts from several different humans. The mummified remains, as much as 3,500 years old, suggest that the first residents of the island of South Uist in the Hebrides had some previously unsuspected burial practices.

The West Coast of South Uist was densely populated from around 2000 BC until the end of the Viking period around AD 1300. Researchers led by archaeologist Michael Parker-Pearson of the University of Sheffield have been working at a site near the modern graveyard of Cladh Hallan, which gives the site its name. The team has so far excavated three roundhouses from a village that was apparently occupied from around 2200 BC to 800 BC. A little more than a decade ago, they found the two skeletons under one of the houses, as well as the remains of a teenage girl and a 3-year-old child.

Read more

• Like 6

They were making a video to post on Ye Olde YouTube. The Loch Ness Mangirlboy!

I bought a near complete human skeleton last week, an old doctors example, professionally wired together etc. Sort of a strange thing to own and Im not sure I can get over that it was someone who was alive once. Its sort of striking when the reality hits.

Interesting article .......thanks

WAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

That's probably just good clean fun! :tu:

The team concluded that the skeleton has been assembled from parts of at least three bodies, some of which were separated by several hundred years of time.

I bet it's some symbolic way of showing a succesion of chiefs or kings.

Edited by OverSword

"Puir auld Angus. He jist went tae pieces after he wis banned frae the pub!"

• Like 6

Could it have been early attempts at "seeing how things work" inside us?

That's very strange and we'll never know the reason but one things for sure our ancestors were very complex.

They were just the spare bits that they didnt put in the Cooking Pot...

Researchers thought that they found two mummified corpses. But it turns out that they actually found six corpses--or maybe just parts of corpses.

With the help of new DNA experiments, scientists have found that two 3,000-year-old Scottish mummies are actually assembled out of six different dead people, National Geographic News reported. The mummies were first discovered over a decade ago. When they were first discovered 2001, they appeared to be like any other ordinary mummy: one looked like a young boy, and the other appeared to be a teenaged girl. They were both buried in the fetal position and found below an 11th-century house off the Scottish coast.

More here

Why any society would mix body parts of dead people? Strange.. hope archeologists find more indications as to why that particular culture did that.

funny that nat. geo. should describe the skeletal remains as 'mummies' when it is clear there is no preservation of the fleshy tissue only bone

This is a new one to me. I'm familiar with the 7 to 8 ft tall remains that were found. Which issue was this in?

texaskat

WAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

That's probably just good clean fun! :tu:

The team concluded that the skeleton has been assembled from parts of at least three bodies, some of which were separated by several hundred years of time.

I bet it's some symbolic way of showing a succesion of chiefs or kings.

The Human Centipede? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_centipede )

This is a great and intriguing post, thanks QM.

I have an uneduacted theory on what has happened. Assuming thes people belived in an afterlife or maybe reincarnation, they put together the parts of the strongest/cleverest/most respected villagers together for burial. this was done in the hope that they would excel in the afterlife or in reincarnation (even to help win 'The Highland Games' ;) ). This is based more on the title of the thread ('Frankenstein' mummies found in Scotland) than my knowledge of South Uist in the Hebrides in 1310 BC.

The articles idea of uniting a family is more reasonable but I do like my theory more...

Edited by Junior Chubb

This is a great and intriguing post, thanks QM.

I have an uneduacted theory on what has happened. Assuming thes people belived in an afterlife or maybe reincarnation, they put together the parts of the strongest/cleverest/most respected villagers together for burial. this was done in the hope that they would excel in the afterlife or in reincarnation (even to help win 'The Highland Games' ;) ). This is based more on the title of the thread ('Frankenstein' mummies found in Scotland) than my knowledge of South Uist in the Hebrides in 1310 BC.

The articles idea of uniting a family is more reasonable but I do like my theory more...

That is an interesting theory. :tu:

They could ahve also done it to take the p..... lol "Aye, is'll confuse em, in eh Future."

Maybe not...

That is an interesting theory. :tu:

They could ahve also done it to take the p..... lol "Aye, is'll confuse em, in eh Future."

Maybe not...

Aye :lol:

That did make me smile, and it has definitely confused them in the future, um well the present...

Edited by Junior Chubb

There is a lot of burying people and animals under foundations that has gone on in the whole British Isles, perhaps some disaster struck the people of the settlement in a previous place so bits of the dead were buried under the new settlement hoping for some sort of warding that it wouldnt happen again.

Oh god... I didn't hide the bodies of my latest victims that well.

OT: Interesting article.

Oh god... I didn't hide the bodies of my latest victims that well.

OT: Interesting article.

You have aged well...

You have aged well...

Oh yeah.

I'm a reptilian overlord, you see.

:tu::lol:

• Like 1

Maybe it's just some kinky form of afterlife bondage.

Maybe it's just some kinky form of afterlife bondage.

Necrondage?