Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Moon Is Toxic

Waspie_Dwarf

The Moon Is Toxic

As our closest neighbor in space, a time-capsule of planetary evolution and the only world outside of Earth that humans have stepped foot on, the Moon is an obvious and ever-present location for future exploration by humans. The research that can be done on the Moon —as well as from it — will be invaluable to science. But the only times humans have visited the Moon were during quick, dusty jaunts on its surface, lasting only 2-3 days each before departing. Long-term human exposure to the lunar environment has never been studied in depth, and it’s quite possible that — in addition to the many inherent dangers of living and working in space – the Moon itself may be toxic to humans.

An international team of researchers has attempted to quantify the health dangers of the Moon — or at least its dust-filled regolith. In a paper titled “Toxicity of Lunar Dust” (D. Linnarsson et al.) the health hazards of the Moon’s fine, powdery dust — which plagued Apollo astronauts both in and out of their suits —are investigated in detail (or as best as they can be without actually being on the Moon with the ability to collect pristine samples.)

arrow3.gifRead more...

I've never thought about this before but it does make sense that the moon dust would be jagged and if inhaled could do damage. Since there is no atmosphere on the moon with improved equipment would that be a problem.

Darn it! Maybe some kind of static charge vacuum to pull the dust off of suits before removing them or a wash. I'm sure we'll think of something.

• Like 1

Dust can creep into anything. A wash might work like in a sterile lab. Then having some to remove the suit. Then the worker go though another wash that might work.

I never thought of that before either, but then again I can't think of any reason why I should have. As far as we know, no one has ever stayed up there for very long and it wasn't very economical to go back.

It sounds to me that all the dust particles would have to be dealt with the same way they do in mines and tunneling operations, which are not exactly very healthy environments either.

• Like 1

That's a bummer. Sounds like when you work with fiiber glass. I think Mars might have problems like that too, from what I have heard.

meh, no diffrent to fibre glass and all that.

thanks for the post.

Is the moon toxic to humans?

I rather think that humans are toxic to earth.

But nevermind, back on topic.

how are humans toxic to earth? i dont get it

''Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.'' -Abbey, Edward

That's why, but anyways it is driving the inital subjet away.

I wonder, does a dome structure completely and hermetically sealed would resolve the problem? but i would assume that this would cost a LOT!

I wonder, does a dome structure completely and hermetically sealed would resolve the problem? but i would assume that this would cost a LOT!

Why would a dome make any difference? Any structure designed for human habitation on the moon would have to be hermetically sealed.

The problem is that there is little point in sending people to the moon if they can never venture outside. When they return they will have picked up lunar regolith on their spacesuits. If the regolith is dangerous a way of decontamination the suits, before the astronauts remive them will need to be found.

According to the news, everything on Earth appears to be toxic to Humans as well.

Doesnt matter what you do or where you go or what you eat or what you drink.

Someone has declared it bad for us.

Why should the moon be any different.

According to the news, everything on Earth appears to be toxic to Humans as well.

Doesnt matter what you do or where you go or what you eat or what you drink.

Someone has declared it bad for us.

Why should the moon be any different.

Actually it is the processing and production methods of our foods and products that are becoming increasingly toxic.

As for the moon, I am surprised that it is being viewed as such a big discovery...I thought NASA had this all ironed out. Oh well....