Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
MaKaElectric

The United Nations Wants Your Guns America

278 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It's just like the idiots trying to ban cigerrettes. People need to quit trying to run people's lives. Mind your damn business and get a hobby.

Edited by sktm06
1 person likes this

The United Nations can get off American soil then, and stop telling Americans and the world what to do....they are ridiculous. They sit here in our country, trying to pass "world rules". I would love for them to have to conduct their "sessions" from a 3rd world country or from say a place like North Korea or Libya. Let's see how safe they feel in mandating those rules and regulations, when at the end of the day, they have to leave that building and get into their diplomatically immune limo to go home for the night.... Then lets see their feelings on gun control (meanwhile how many of them have armed security here in the US)....and yes, they will never get my guns, my permit to carry, or otherwise. An armed society is a polite society. Just look at the porblems in places around the world or even in the US that have banned them....crime shoots through the roof, murders still ocurr in record numbers and continue to escalate. Then look at crime statistic in places that have just enacted the right to carry....crime drops like a lead weight. What's the place in Africa where the slughters took place not many years ago, killing millions of men women and children? It wasn't guns, it was machetes that were primarily used - is the UN banning all machetes, kitchen knives?. Since man got up on two feet, there is conflict, and back then it was who had the biggest stick or rock. Evil doers will always be walking side by side with men, guns are a modern day tool to even that playing field since evil doers don't play by the rules. Ban guns, and bad people will still have them....bad guys don't listen to bans, gun control, or regulations/laws - good citizens do, therefore ONLY disarming good people. Guns are here to stay, so why only give criminals the chance to own them on the black market? so insane. man this debate makes me crazy. lol.

That is simply not true. I will dig out the statistics later on, I am a bit busy atm.

Posted (edited)

dc.png

Edited by Michelle
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Sports shooting is another thing. I quite understand it: there is great skill in hitting the desired target at great range, and not to forget the primal thrill of blasting off rounds.

I have no problems with that at all. You can get a sports shooter licence, and have your weapons stored at the range. No need to have them at home where an accident can happen.

Whats wrong with being allowed to shoot exposive targets in the woods? Im grown. I shouldnt have to have big brother holding my hand telling me what I can and cant do. I dont need anyone to protect me from myself. So long as you follow proper safty standards, there is no harm in it at all.

Aye, and that's the rub. There are far too many who don't follow the necessary safety standards.

Edited by Obviousman

That's what I mean. Even when you are outside and carrying a firearm, how does that help you when somebody wants to mugg you? Try reaching for your gun after you hear: "hands up, it's a stick up!"

In Australia, the only people that get a gun in their face during a robbery are people at nightclubs or servos. People with guns here (since they are relatively hard to get illegally) don't waste them on sticking people up in the street. Most use knives or group numbers to intimidate.

If I had my weapon concealed on myself in such a situation I would have ample time to grab it out. I have never had to do this before and indeed have even talked my way out of a situation without resorting to this action.

I was always taught 'everything in the human kneecap can be replaced'. Anyone else remember that? ;)

Of course. I do lots of things with my kids (who are no where near old enough to drive) But I find nothing wrong hunting, or target practicing. And unless you never eat animals, the cow that was killed so you can BBQ some burgers in the back yard was just as inocent. Difference is you didnt have to kill it. The results are the same though.

And you hunt what? Food for your table? Or your own sense of satisfaction that you can kill something that is no threat to you.

Funny how the spike coincides with the crack epidemic and was already falling when the law was overturned.

Funny how the spike coincides with the crack epidemic and was already falling when the law was overturned.

It's helpful to look at the entire site and not just at this one example.

I've heard many theories about the cause of rising crime rates in DC, in the eighties, and in Chicago but I've never heard the crack epidemic. Could you provide more information and why there is no longer a crack problem? A link or two would be nice. I was under the impression crack use was as strong as ever, if not more so than in the eighties.

I'd also like to point out, that the murder rate stayed about the same for over ten years after the introduction of the ban, then suddenly took a high rise and dropped significantly again before the ban was abolished. I see no connection.

1 person likes this

I'd also like to point out, that the murder rate stayed about the same for over ten years after the introduction of the ban, then suddenly took a high rise and dropped significantly again before the ban was abolished. I see no connection.

Maybe the criminal element took a few years to realize how vulnerable their victims had really become.

One theory, that I've often heard about the downturn, is the upstanding citizens got tired of all of the crime and went out and got their own illegal guns. B)

Not saying it's true...just throwing it out there for speculation, which is all we can really do...speculate.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

i find it incredibly stupid how americans will jump on the 'defend my home and family' bandwagon when justifying why they need a firearm.

seems to me that the firearms are causing more trouble than the crimes that they are supposed to defend against.

how many of your children have to die accidentally? how many of your teens are going to murder someone or themselves? how many stolen or lost guns will turn up in the hands of criminals? how many americans wake up every day willing to murder in the name of personal safety?

if you look at other countries that aren't so hell bent on owning guns you will notice that they don't have the problems that americans think they will have if they didn't.

here in canada we don't have guns in every hand and we also don't have people breaking into our homes and murdering us. lucky us eh?

Edited by JGirl
2 people like this

An armed society is a polite society

this is one of the stupidest things i've read here in a while.

2 people like this

this is one of the stupidest things i've read here in a while.

And a mostly polite conversation goes down the tubes....

1 person likes this

And a mostly polite conversation goes down the tubes....

apparently, had we all been sporting a gun this would never happen

we rude canadians and our gunless attitudes. for shame.

apparently, had we all been sporting a gun this would never happen

we rude canadians and our gunless attitudes. for shame.

Don't put words in my mouth. I would never generalize all Canadians because of the bad attitude of a few. :rolleyes:

2 people like this

Don't put words in my mouth. I would never generalize all Canadians because of the bad attitude of a few. :rolleyes:

i put no words in your mouth michelle.

my attitude echoes much of the country's attitude about this particular subject.

you needn't wag your bony finger at me in any case. it doesn't make your case any stronger.

perhaps you should pull a gun on me. i might be persuaded.

perhaps you should pull a gun on me. i might be persuaded.

The only reason some people are alive is because it's illegal to shoot them. :D

The only reason some people are alive is because it's illegal to shoot them. :D

i daresay, spoken like a true american

Enough already. I wish people would realize that Canadians and Americans are more alike than they are different.

I can’t speak for my entire country, nobody can. Personally, I do not like guns. I do not understand the gun culture, have no urge to own a gun and discouraged my son playing with toy guns.

1 person likes this

Everybody debate nice please :)

I'm a U.S. folk, and yes, I do own a couple guns. I usually only use them for target practice- but then I also practice marksmanship with a bow, crossbow, and a handful of other weapons too. Honestly, a gun would be the last thought on my mind for protecting my hearth and kin. I'd be more likely to go for a meathook or blade, or whatever other weapon is handy. I'm an odd gal, I like to have a lot of odd weapons.

And I'm cruel and vindictive. If someone attacks me or mine, I would much rather maim them for life and see them sent to prison than kill them. Shooting them often reduces the chances of that happening.

Soooo, back to the OP action. I think perhaps this is the anticipated 2012 UN meeting/summit/whatever on arms. If so, it kicked of in 2006, and there's been meetings about it ever since. If I'm recalling correctly from the 2010 reports about this, the UN isn't trying to take away citizens guns so much as they are trying to regulate gun trade between nations. And yes, in some ways that could affect a U.S. citizens capability to procure firearms in some instances due to trade sources and agreements. But to my understanding, no, it isn't supposed to directly affect U.S. second amendment rights to have firearms.

I could very well be wrong though if my memory isn't serving me correctly.

i find it incredibly stupid how americans will jump on the 'defend my home and family' bandwagon when justifying why they need a firearm.

seems to me that the firearms are causing more trouble than the crimes that they are supposed to defend against.

how many of your children have to die accidentally? how many of your teens are going to murder someone or themselves? how many stolen or lost guns will turn up in the hands of criminals? how many americans wake up every day willing to murder in the name of personal safety?

if you look at other countries that aren't so hell bent on owning guns you will notice that they don't have the problems that americans think they will have if they didn't.

here in canada we don't have guns in every hand and we also don't have people breaking into our homes and murdering us. lucky us eh?

I find it worse that one Canadian would lump all of us Americans together because some of us own one or more guns. It must be nice not to have crime in Canada. :lol:

I myself have a rifle for two reasons. 1) Because I have a right to own one, but more importantly 2) because it was given to me by my father before he passed away. Would I use it to defend my house and home? Hell, yeah. But someone attempting a break in has just as likely a chance of being sliced and diced as they do of getting shot. Doesn't matter either way. End result's the same.

cormac

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I find it worse that one Canadian would lump all of us Americans together because some of us own one or more guns. It must be nice not to have crime in Canada. :lol:

I myself have a rifle for two reasons. 1) Because I have a right to own one, but more importantly 2) because it was given to me by my father before he passed away. Would I use it to defend my house and home? Hell, yeah. But someone attempting a break in has just as likely a chance of being sliced and diced as they do of getting shot. Doesn't matter either way. End result's the same.

cormac

obviously i did not get specific enough and put the word 'some' in my post- my apologies for being the first one to ever do that on these boards - however you will notice that i did not say 'all' americans.

i was referring to those who specifically use the excuse of defending their homes etc. as a justification for having a firearm.

sigh

in any case, we have far far less violent crimes, especially those involving firearms than the united states.

Edited by JGirl

Former shooter here.. and a former gun owner as well..

I dont need a gun to protect my family if someone breaks in :) I have a nice collection of swords (medieval recreationist here).. all in lovely display boards around the house.. and all within easy reach..

The murder rate in the US is four times that of UK and Australia. And yet they can own guns to protect themselves. Something doesn't fit here.

For those that defend their constitutional rights - does it ever occur to you that your insistence on maintaining this right is actually part of the problem? And, how many murders have been prevented by people owning guns? Is it more than the number of kids that have accidentally shot someone?

Posted (edited)

I have a Saiga 12ga semi auto with a 20 round drum. I'd like to make it fully auto someday. Gives plinking a whole new meaning.

BTW, Obama has been following the GOP and NRA's position on gun control 101%. (As in no new gun control or ownership restrictions) The blue hats can suck it. And if we wanted to, we could take Canada with nothing but pistols and bullwhips. ETA: So be nice to us Canadia.. :gun: .

Edited by Framling
2 people like this