Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
MaKaElectric

The United Nations Wants Your Guns America

278 posts in this topic

The murder rate in the US is four times that of UK and Australia. And yet they can own guns to protect themselves. Something doesn't fit here.

Since the U.S. is nearly 6 times larger in population to the U.K. and 12 times larger than Australia, it's obviouse it's safer here than there. Didn't I hear they've outlawed knives with points on them in the U.K... interesting.

For those that defend their constitutional rights - does it ever occur to you that your insistence on maintaining this right is actually part of the problem?

You do realize that the main contributing factor for Japan "not" invading the US during WWII was "BECAUSE" we had so many firearms in the hands of the people. To paraphrase.. "There would be a gun behind every blade of grass". For that one reason alone I'm gratefull the founders had the forsight to include the 2nd ammendment when they drafted the Constituion.

1 person likes this

Since the U.S. is nearly 6 times larger in population to the U.K. and 12 times larger than Australia, it's obviouse it's safer here than there. Didn't I hear they've outlawed knives with points on them in the U.K... interesting.

If you look at crime stats they usually speak about homicides per 100,000 of population. It's the murder rate - nothing to do with actual numbers of events.

So, if the population of USA is 300million and there is a murder rate of 8 per 100 000. This translates to approx. 24,000 murders.

UK population 60 million and murder rate about 2 per 100,000 - 1200 murders.

The numbers themselves are meaningless because populations differ. That's why the rate of crime is the only reliable measure. And the stats clearly state you're 4 times more likely to be murdered in the US than you are in the UK. Not obviously safer then.

If you look at crime stats they usually speak about homicides per 100,000 of population. It's the murder rate - nothing to do with actual numbers of events.

So, if the population of USA is 300million and there is a murder rate of 8 per 100 000. This translates to approx. 24,000 murders.

The numbers themselves are meaningless because populations differ. That's why the rate of crime is the only reliable measure. And the stats clearly state you're 4 times more likely to be murdered in the US than you are in the UK. Not obviously safer then.

Thanks for the clarification. It's much more clear where you're coming from. Are the stats your using all based on murders by gun? Or just murders?

1 person likes this

Thanks for the clarification. It's much more clear where you're coming from. Are the stats your using all based on murders by gun? Or just murders?

The stats are very approximate and a couple of years old. This is for ,all homicides, not just the ones where guns are used. It would be interesting if they have stats on the use of guns in homicide as opposed to other methods. I guess they're probably out there somewhere.

It's helpful to look at the entire site and not just at this one example.

I've heard many theories about the cause of rising crime rates in DC, in the eighties, and in Chicago but I've never heard the crack epidemic. Could you provide more information and why there is no longer a crack problem? A link or two would be nice. I was under the impression crack use was as strong as ever, if not more so than in the eighties.

I was simply countering the idea that a spike in murders can be attributed to one law. Crime, and indeed society in general, is far more dynamic than that.

Off topic, but this needs to be addressed:

And if we wanted to, we could take Canada with nothing but pistols and bullwhips. ETA: So be nice to us Canadia.. :gun: .

Canada supplies more oil to the US than any other single nation on the planet, more than the 3rd, 4th & 5th highest imports combined (depending on which sources you reference).

So go ahead and come up here with your pistols and bullwhip... we'll turn off the pipelines, drink you all under the table, and then maybe set fire to the White House... AGAIN...

:)

Cz

4 people like this

Off topic, but this needs to be addressed:

Canada supplies more oil to the US than any other single nation on the planet, more than the 3rd, 4th & 5th highest imports combined (depending on which sources you reference).

So go ahead and come up here with your pistols and bullwhip... we'll turn off the pipelines, drink you all under the table, and then maybe set fire to the White House... AGAIN...

:)

Cz

All we want is your herb, especially the BC variety. :nw:

2 people like this

Why does anyone need a gun? If people need to be armed, that says a terrible deal about the state of your living conditions.

2 people like this

You do realize that the main contributing factor for Japan "not" invading the US during WWII was "BECAUSE" we had so many firearms in the hands of the people. To paraphrase.. "There would be a gun behind every blade of grass". For that one reason alone I'm gratefull the founders had the forsight to include the 2nd ammendment when they drafted the Constituion.

And now you're in trillions (more then that) of dollars in debt to china. They OWN you, as if they're going to let anyone invade you.

Population of a country does not indicate how many murders. In Venezuela it has one of the highest rate of homicides. So that chucks out population because The American population is greater than Venezuela's but as more murders than America.

Population of a country does not indicate how many murders. In Venezuela it has one of the highest rate of homicides. So that chucks out population because The American population is greater than Venezuela's but as more murders than America.

Venezuela is right next to Columbia and Brazil.. neither are 'prime' countries like America, Australia or Switzerland.

Venezuela is politically corrupt, is a drug trafficking route, and has a high crime rate.

That's hardly an accurate comparison.

But im not talking about Brazil or Colombia lol

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

But im not talking about Brazil or Colombia lol

You ignored the rest of my argument.

Drugs get trafficked from brazil/columbia I meant.Prime location for crime.

Former shooter here.. and a former gun owner as well..

I dont need a gun to protect my family if someone breaks in :) I have a nice collection of swords (medieval recreationist here).. all in lovely display boards around the house.. and all within easy reach..

Very considerate Dingo, Intruders won't have to disturb the neighbors with all that noisy gunfire. Just KIDDING!:)

Why does anyone need a gun? If people need to be armed, that says a terrible deal about the state of your living conditions.

It doesnt say anything for the state of my living conditions. Nor does it for the state of anyone I know. Though I would have less free meat in the ice box.

1 person likes this

And now you're in trillions (more then that) of dollars in debt to china. They OWN you, as if they're going to let anyone invade you.

No one is going to invade us cause thier country would be ashes within one hour.

1 person likes this

The majority of our murders happen in places where gun restrictions are highest.

I also remember a few years ago where the UK was cooking thier books on how many murders they actualy had to try and sell to the world that gun bans save lives. But they had alot more murder then they let on.

1 person likes this

The majority of our murders happen in places where gun restrictions are highest.

But is the murder rate high because gun restriction is high, or is a high gun restriction installed because of the high murder rate? I suspect the latter.

You can take any European country, and you will see that the murder rate, especially the gun murder rate, are a lot lower that the US'. Besides, your gun clubs like the NRA or others are twisting lots of information, as seen on this graph posted by Michelle.

i find it incredibly stupid how americans will jump on the 'defend my home and family' bandwagon when justifying why they need a firearm.

seems to me that the firearms are causing more trouble than the crimes that they are supposed to defend against.

how many of your children have to die accidentally? how many of your teens are going to murder someone or themselves? how many stolen or lost guns will turn up in the hands of criminals? how many americans wake up every day willing to murder in the name of personal safety?

if you look at other countries that aren't so hell bent on owning guns you will notice that they don't have the problems that americans think they will have if they didn't.

here in canada we don't have guns in every hand and we also don't have people breaking into our homes and murdering us. lucky us eh?

Maybe you should spend less time worring about us dumb Americans, and subjects here that you obviously have no clue about, and worry more about what goes on in your back yard. Cause frankly the guns we own here in America are none of your business. Then again Im talking to a person who lives in a country where you can be put in a cage for talking about things your government doesnt find political correct.

1 person likes this

You ignored the rest of my argument.

Drugs get trafficked from brazil/columbia I meant.Prime location for crime.

I know but I am referring that the size of the country does not matter

But is the murder rate high because gun restriction is high, or is a high gun restriction installed because of the high murder rate? I suspect the latter.

You can take any European country, and you will see that the murder rate, especially the gun murder rate, are a lot lower that the US'. Besides, your gun clubs like the NRA or others are twisting lots of information, as seen on this graph posted by Michelle.

Washington DC became the murder capital of America after the ban was set in place. Basicaly what happened is, law abiding folks turned in thier guns, and the criminals didnt. Crime and murder went through the roof. Our murder rate in America is complicated and has several factors as to why. A large % is from people who arent here legaly, and/or dont own guns legaly. Plus we have over 4 million kids on mind altering drugs whos side effects include things like "thoughts of suicide". The columbine kids were on those types of drugs.

Posted (edited)

Alright. But if everybody would be carrying a gun, those problems would still remain unsolved, and nobody would be safer. The problem is not legal or illegal gun ownership. It is also interesting to see where illegal guns come from; often from various legal sources.

Edit: Murder rate is a lot lower in Europe, where gun ownership is generally illegal (with exceptions), than in the US, where it is legal in most places. That is a fact that should started to get recognised in this thread. Legal gun ownership does not make the world a safer place.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Posted (edited)

According to Criminal Victimization in Seventeen Industrialized Countries, Dutch Ministry of Justice, 2001.

Many of the countries with the strictest gun control have the highest rates of violent crime. Australia and England, which have virtually banned gun ownership, have the highest rates of robbery, sexual assault, and assault with force of the top 17 industrialized countries.

Also, comparing crime rates between America and Britain is fundamentally flawed. In America, a gun crime is recorded as a gun crime. In Britain, a crime is only recorded when there is a final disposition (a conviction). All unsolved gun crimes in Britain are not reported as gun crimes, grossly undercounting the amount of gun crime there.

Edited by Pauly Dangerously
2 people like this

Just to make another point, in Canada around 1920, before there was any form of gun control, their homicide rate was 7% of the U.S rate. By 1986, and after significant gun control legislation, Canada’s homicide rate was 35% of the U.S. rate – a significant increase. In 2003, Canada had a violent crime rate more than double that of the U.S. (963 vs. 475 per 100,000).

Source: Juristat: Crime Statistics in Canada, 2004 and FBI Uniform Crime Statistics online.