Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
MaKaElectric

The United Nations Wants Your Guns America

278 posts in this topic

Thats quite enough of all the ethnocentric slurs...from everyone. If this threads continues like this it will be closed.

Then again Im talking to a person who lives in a country where you can be put in a cage for talking about things your government doesnt find political correct.

Preacherman, I live in Canada and don't have a clue as to what you are talking about? Please clarify

Just to make another point, in Canada around 1920, before there was any form of gun control, their homicide rate was 7% of the U.S rate. By 1986, and after significant gun control legislation, Canada’s homicide rate was 35% of the U.S. rate – a significant increase. In 2003, Canada had a violent crime rate more than double that of the U.S. (963 vs. 475 per 100,000).

Source: Juristat: Crime Statistics in Canada, 2004 and FBI Uniform Crime Statistics online.

Canadians are no better and no worse.

This is the news that I woke up to today

Toronto shooting leaves 2 dead, 21 injured - Toronto - CBC News

Posted (edited)

Exactly my point. There is violence everywhere. Different types, different motivating factors, but criminals will be criminals regardless of locale. All this nationalism is unneccessary. We all agree that criminals are the problem, correct?

The point being, that a move to ban/confiscate/regulate firearms is a futile measure and ultimately has no effect on violent crime. Therefore this measure by the UN would be a costly and time consuming failure. Therefore it should be dismissed.

Edited to correct atrocious grammar.

Edited by Pauly Dangerously
2 people like this

Tell me the media doesn't have an agenda. If that had happened in the US it would be all over the news as an example of our "gun culture". This tragedy is barely a blip in national news. *sigh*

People say Americans think the wold revolves around them, but it seems to me it is the other way around. We are under a microscope at all times and nobody enjoys the scrutiny we have to succumb to.

Tell me the media doesn't have an agenda. If that had happened in the US it would be all over the news as an example of our "gun culture". This tragedy is barely a blip in national news. *sigh*

People say Americans think the wold revolves around them, but it seems to me it is the other way around. We are under a microscope at all times and nobody enjoys the scrutiny we have to succumb to.

To be fair, we have done a pretty good job of thrusting ourselves onto the world stage. Scrutiny is to be expected.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well, I never was a wallflower, but I didn't want to be dissected either. :D

Edited by Michelle

Random, spontaneous mass shootings like the one that just happened in Canada are fewer and farther between in the US these days with the exception of workplaces and schools that do not allow law abiding citizens to C&C. If some idiot tried that at a restaurant or party or crowded store in my town and he'd/they'd be thoroughly minced.

1 person likes this

Preacherman, I live in Canada and don't have a clue as to what you are talking about? Please clarify

Im talking about the pastors that have been put in cages, and heavily fined, for giving biblical sermons on homosexuality.

Im talking about the pastors that have been put in cages, and heavily fined, for giving biblical sermons on homosexuality.

Link please...?

Cz

I haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Posted (edited)

With the recent exception of Mexico, other nations of the world are completely unaffected by gun ownership in the US. More guns mean more gun deaths. To be able to make that choice for ourselves we accept the losses. Since our rights do not negatively affect other countries I fail to see why how many Americans are killed by guns should even matter outside our borders. The whole discussion just seems to be a "let's beat up on America" rant. It's a waste of time. We will collectively never give up our guns...even if some entity were to change the laws.

Overheard at a mugging of a liberal: He has that gun and took my money because he didn't have enough opportunity as a child. He probably came from a broken home. The government needs to do more for the misguided among us.

Overheard at the attempted mugging of a conservative: BAM, BAM, BAM,BAM,BAM,BAM...pause to reload, BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM.. gee dad what great groups you fired! Is that a Smith and Wesson .357? No son, it's a Remington .44, but the groups are just as good. :w00t::clap:

Edited by and then
1 person likes this

Overheard at a mugging of a liberal: He had a gun but only took my overextended credit cards because I have no money.

Overheard at the mugging of a conservative: I tried to pull my piece but I remembered I was out of ammo because I'm broke.

Overheard at the attempted mugging of a right wing loon: He was going to mug me until I offered him a job at my investment firm in the accounting dept.

Overheard at the mugging of a Tea Partier: He got the jump on me because I couldn't reach down/around far enough to get my piece without throwing my back out.

Overheard at the attempted mugging of a progressive libertarian: He tried to mug me until I told him his safety was on and then I pulled out my full auto mini AR-10 and shot him in the balls.Then I rolled a fatty and proceeded to my favorite whorehouse. :yes::lol::rofl:

Fixed it for you.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Sports shooting is another thing. I quite understand it: there is great skill in hitting the desired target at great range, and not to forget the primal thrill of blasting off rounds.

I have no problems with that at all. You can get a sports shooter licence, and have your weapons stored at the range. No need to have them at home where an accident can happen.

Aye, and that's the rub. There are far too many who don't follow the necessary safety standards.

*Snip* Fact is here in America we will keep our arms, and no force foriegn nor domestic will ever change the fact.

Edited by Karlis
Deleted offensive language

Wow... overreact much...? :rolleyes:

Cz

100%. I know someone personally who has the same mindset, guess I just run out of patience.

Wow... overreact much...? :rolleyes:

Cz

100%. I know someone personally who has the same mindset, guess I just run out of patience.

Well, kudos for admitting it... :tu:

Cz

Well it took me 5 seconds to find a article on the subject.

http://culturecampai...hate-crime.html

There are lots of them.

Wasn't that decision overturned? Like the original judge found against the pastor, but then another judge said the original judge was mistaken and acquitted the pastor?

lol, not that some pastor saying something in Canada about gay folks has much to do with the UN's 2012 arms trade discussion. It is kind of interesting how little discussion about the UN talks there is in this thread considering that's what the title of the thread is.

Ill trade in my guns for a free flying car. :tu:

Its not free if you have to trade in your guns.

works for me

Well it took me 5 seconds to find a article on the subject.

http://culturecampai...hate-crime.html

I'm still looking for the part where someone was "put in a cage"... maybe you can point that out?

There are lots of them.

Then you should have no problem providing us with links that show that this is a widespread issue of national import, as your seem to be claiming, rather than just a single incident where a Provincial Human Rights law was violated as was the example you have provided.

Cz

works for me

Really? One thing that seriously disturbs me is how quick we are to put non violent people in cages as though they were animals. To do that cause someone doesnt have the same opinion as you, to me, makes you among the lowest forms of life on this planet. To be so criminaly abusive to another human, just cause they wont conform to the way you think is right up there with the minds of the most evil among us.

I own 3 guns an would not mind giving them up don't use them much anyways, I don't need them to protect myself or my home take up a defensive fighting class or something you don't need to shoot somebody itl probably p*** off his homies anyways

I own 3 guns an would not mind giving them up don't use them much anyways, I don't need them to protect myself or my home take up a defensive fighting class or something you don't need to shoot somebody itl probably p*** off his homies anyways

An armed person will kill an unarmed person with monotonous regularity. What martial arts style teaches defense against bullets, exactly?

4 people like this

I know this is off topic but since preacherman had the courtesy to provide the link, I would like to respond

I took the time to read up on it as I had never heard of this. The man in question wrote a bigoted anti-gay letter to a newspaper in 2002 which resulted in a gay teenager being assaulted. He was charged with a violation of Alberta's Human Rights Act. He was convicted and fined in 2008 and that was overturned on appeal 2009-10.

There is no mention anywhere of him spending anytime in jail. I have to agree with Czero, this was a single incident and not a widespread problem like you are inferring.

lol, not that some pastor saying something in Canada about gay folks has much to do with the UN's 2012 arms trade discussion. It is kind of interesting how little discussion about the UN talks there is in this thread considering that's what the title of the thread is.

Well said rashore....back on topic

~Dot

1 person likes this

Really? One thing that seriously disturbs me is how quick we are to put non violent people in cages as though they were animals.

I'm really sorry. I was yanking your chain and should have put a smiley after my comment.

1 person likes this