Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

can animals sense when there are ghost?

Angelspawn5242

see the reason for my question is my daddy died recently in October and my dog Lily (don't let he cute name fool you) went crazy barking and staring at one corner of the room. She was quite whats the word...... hell bent on having a stare down with the wall. but thing is I also hav a great grandpa that died and i think his spirit is here to but who knows??? But the reason i think there is a spirit at least protecting me is that my dog Lily didn't attack the corner (with her five pounds of nothing) proves to me she was only frightned. another reason is my dog Ryder (the cutest dacshund in the world although hes got a little bit of weight put on him) would si up in the living room and have a stare down with the ceiling. See thing is other than breaking bones which is my fault most of the time and i've only broken three i never get hurt like ever and i never get cut when i fall. Here's an example yesturday there was this vine of thorns coming from my rose bush and i stepped right on it thing is as sharp as though things were i wasn't hurt can ya'll give me advice pleas????

My dogs stare off into space also....It is normal....You may want to make sure you do not have mice....Cats do it more than dogs, but you get the point...Take them for more walks, they are bored and need to release energy.

When you stepped on the thorn, it laid on it's side, you got lucky.

• Like 3

Animals can sense a lot more than we can. For instance, it is well known that animals can sense an earthquake on the way. If spirits exist then why shouldn;t they sense them also..

I believe we have lost a lot of the senses, or inistincts that our early ancestors had due to not needing them any more. :)

• Like 3

I think so. My family had two beagles back in the late 70s and early 80s. During the summer of 1980 we stayed at a renovated home that my father used for his student exchange program at university. This house had several owners before my the exchange program received it in 1975. A lot of quirky things were noted by some of the small staff, items disappearing only to reappear somewhere else, rustling noise from clothing when no one was around, the sound of papers being rifled through, and a sense of being watched on the second floor.

During that weekend of July 1980 both beagles refused to go upstairs, they would sit at the bottom of the stairs and look up at something up at the top and whine. No matter how hard we tried to get them to join us on the second floor they refused to go.

This house also happened to be the location where I witnessed a dark haired male wearing a short sleeve blue shirt walk by a window on the second floor. I was in my car out in front when I saw the figure. I went inside the house (it was a Saturday afternoon) and found no one on the 2nd, 1st, or basement floor, nor did I see anyone in the open grounds to the back of the house leaving.

I am fairly certain that our two beagles sensed or saw something that I had witnessed. The second floor landing that the dogs stared towards is only ten feet from the window were I witnessed the figure pass by.

• Like 1

I think they can feel energy, other then that I can't say.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's a good question.

Perhaps as said above they can sense energy that we normally can't.

But why are there no(not sure about that) dogs or cats along with "ghost hunters" ?

Animals can sense a lot more than we can. For instance, it is well known that animals can sense an earthquake on the way. If spirits exist then why shouldn;t they sense them also..

I believe we have lost a lot of the senses, or inistincts that our early ancestors had due to not needing them any more. :)

I think they can feel energy, other then that I can't say.

Yeah, that's a good question.

Perhaps as said above they can sense energy that we normally can't.

But why are there no(not sure about that) dogs or cats along with "ghost hunters" ?

No, they can not sense " energy ".....

They have heightened senses, when compared to humans......

Smelling especially.....

People think because dogs are staring off, or not going somewhere, that it must be a ghost....

We can not even come close to smelling what a dog does, they can be sensing ( as in smelling ) something and not wanting to go that way, or the opposite, wanting it...That is how they distinguish things, more with smell than anything else....You have no idea what they are smelling, because you can not " see it "....Nor smell it....So, some people automatically think there is something there like a " ghost "......Nope, just a scent that you can not see, but your dog is reading.

People need to educate themselves on just what dogs can do, and why, before jumping to conclusions.....

Understanding a Dog's Sense of Smell

By Stanley Coren, PhD and Sarah Hodgson

A dog's nose not only dominates her face, but her brain, as well. In fact, a dog relies on her sense of smell to interpret her world, in much the same way as people depend on their sight. Although this contrasting world view may be hard to imagine, know that your dog interprets as much information as you do. However, she does much of this by smelling an object or animal, not by staring at it.

Born to sniff

To gain more respect for your dog's olfactory ability, compare it to a person's nose. Inside the nose of both species are bony scroll-shaped plates, called turbinates, over which air passes. A microscopic view of this organ reveals a thick, spongy membrane that contains most of the scent-detecting cells, as well as the nerves that transport information to the brain. In humans, the area containing these odor analyzers is about one square inch, or the size of a postage stamp. If you could unfold this area in a dog, on the other hand, it may be as large as 60 square inches, or just under the size of a piece of typing paper.

Though the size of this surface varies with the size and length of the dog's nose, even flat-nosed breeds can detect smells far better than people. The following table shows the number of scent receptors in people and several dog breeds.

A dog's brain is also specialized for identifying scents. The percentage of the dog's brain that is devoted to analyzing smells is actually 40 times larger than that of a human! It's been estimated that dogs can identify smells somewhere between 1,000 to 10,000 times better than nasally challenged humans can.

Table: Scent-Detecting Cells in People and Dog Breeds

Species

Number of Scent Receptors

Humans

5 million

Dachshund

125 million

Fox Terrier

147 million

Beagle

225 million

German Shepherd

225 million

Bloodhound

300 million

Your dog's unique nose

Your dog's nose has a pattern of ridges and dimples that, in combination with the outline of its nostril openings, make up a nose print believed to be as individual and unique as a human being's fingerprints. Companies even register nose prints as a way of identifying and helping to locate lost or stolen dogs, a system that is now being used by kennel clubs around the world.

If you want to take a nose print from your dog just for fun, it's quite simple: Wipe your dog's nose with a towel to dry its surface. Pour food coloring onto a paper towel and lightly coat your pet's nose with it. Then hold a pad of paper to her nose, making sure to let the pad's sides curve around to pick up impressions from the sides of the nose, as well. You may have to try a couple of times until you get the right amount of food coloring and the right amount of pressure to produce a print in which the little patterns on the nose are clear.

The food coloring is nontoxic and is easily removed. Never use ink or paint, or you may have to explain to your friends why your dog has a green or blue nose.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/understanding-a-dogs-sense-of-smell.html

• Like 3

I recon they can sense something.

Who/what/how i dont know.

Thanks for the post OP.

I recon they can sense something.

Who/what/how i dont know.

Thanks for the post OP.

How?...Look at the post above yours for one way they do..

• Like 1

In a way i think an animal can sence when ghosts are around. But it probably has more to do with them "seeing", "hearing", or "smelling it" as sakari explained. In most haunting cases where a person experiances things their animals are reported to have behavior changes while in the house or other locations. So they may be experiencing something as well, and their way of showing it is by cowering in the corner, growling, barking, concentrating on one area for long periods of time, or even trying to attack an unseen object. But its hard to destinguish between whether they are just playing, bored, or sensing the tention in the room when there is an argument going on.

• Like 1

In a way i think an animal can sence when ghosts are around. But it probably has more to do with them "seeing", "hearing", or "smelling it" as sakari explained. In most haunting cases where a person experiances things their animals are reported to have behavior changes while in the house or other locations. So they may be experiencing something as well, and their way of showing it is by cowering in the corner, growling, barking, concentrating on one area for long periods of time, or even trying to attack an unseen object. But its hard to destinguish between whether they are just playing, bored, or sensing the tention in the room when there is an argument going on.

So I can clarify.....

I was saying that dogs main sense is smell, and it's priority for learning and knowing it's environment.....I do not think any of them are sensing ghosts, they are smelling something ( or hearing ) and reacting to that, not a ghost.

There is no reason at all that a dog could see something we can not with our eyes...Actually the opposite, they have worse vision.

They are not seeing ghosts.....

Most dog owners will tell you that their dog watches television with them.

In fact, according to the American Kennel Club, 87% of pet owners say that their pets watch TV.

To an extent, they are correct. However, a dog eyesight is very different than human eyesight, so what your dog is actually "seeing" is quite different from what you’re seeing on the TV screen.

Dogs have an appreciably lower visual acuity then humans. If the typical human eye scores 20/20 on the Snellen eye chart, the typical canine eye would score 20/75. Anything below the 3rd line of the Snellen chart would be a blur to a dog. Therefore, typical domesticated dogs do not depend on fine visual acuity to survive.

Here are some of the ways that dogs see things differently than humans, especially with regard to viewing images on a TV screen:

The canine visual system is designed to operate well under low light conditions, while the human visual system performs best in bright light.

A dog’s increased peripheral vision compromises his binocular vision. Where the field of view of each eye overlaps, we have binocular vision, which gives us depth perception. The wider-set eyes of dogs have less overlap and less binocular vision. Dogs’ depth perception is best when they look straight ahead, but is blocked by their noses at certain angles.

Here is a start on animal behavior, from experts in that field.....Look at animal experts for this answer, not paranormal sites....

Cognitive Dysfunction--Alzheimer’s in Animals

Sometimes older dogs get confused, maybe soil the rug or lose their way in the house. It’s perfectly natural. Or is it?

In the past ten years, veterinarians have come to realize that severe cognitive (or thinking-related) problems are no more normal in older dogs than they are in aging people. While older dogs may move a bit more slowly and get a little gray around the muzzle, they shouldn’t experience a complete change in personality. A dog that suddenly seems confused, distant, or lost may be showing signs of cognitive dysfunction.

Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (or CDS) is a degeneration of the brain and the nervous system in dogs, roughly comparable to Alzheimer’s disease in people. Like Alzheimer’s, it is caused by physical changes in the brain and brain chemicals, and it is not a part of normal aging. It results in a deterioration of cognitive abilities, causing behavioral changes that can disrupt the lives of pets and the families that care for them. An ongoing study performed at the University of California-Berkeley has shown that 62 percent of dogs between ages 11 and 16 demonstrate one or more signs of CDS, and the percentage goes up as dogs get older.

The symptoms

So how can you tell if a dog is showing signs of CDS or if she’s just getting older? Watch for her to start showing some of the following behaviors:

• Withdrawing from interaction with the family
  • Soliciting less petting and attention
  • Staring at walls or into space
  • Sleeping more during the day
  • Sleeping less during the night
  • House soiling
  • Difficulty learning new tasks, commands, or routes
  • Pacing or wandering aimlessly
  • Frequent trembling or shaking
  • Ignoring known commands
  • Becoming lost in familiar places like the home or yard
  • Getting "stuck" in familiar places, like in corners or behind furniture
  • Having trouble finding the door or standing at the hinge side of the door
  • Not responding to name
  • Decreased activity
  • Not recognizing family members or other familiar people

If you see these behaviors in your pup, the good news is that you don’t just have to accept them. Tell your veterinarian--she may be able to help.

If she suspects CDS, your veterinarian can take a thorough behavior and medical history of your dog. She can also perform a physical and neurological exam and blood and urine tests to rule out other conditions that could cause these symptoms, such as hypothyroidism, kidney problems, arthritis, and hearing and vision loss. Once she’s ruled out any underlying diseases, you can discuss treatment.

http://www.healthypet.com/petcare/PetCareArticle.aspx?art_key=be9c2026-072e-4594-a750-81539a5bcf19

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Since when is seeing or hearing NOT the result of "energy" ?

I have a very strong physics background and have never heard otherwise.

• Like 1

Since when is seeing or hearing NOT the result of "energy" ?

I have a very strong physics background and have never heard otherwise.

Come on man, you know what the term " energy " means on topics here....Spirits, ghosts....those little energy guys.... :blush:

Edited by Sakari

Of course I do, "ghosts and spirits" would have "energy" of some type else they could not exist.

That animals can sense this is obviously in question.

But presuming there is a "disturbance" in our world(or realm or dimension or whatever)during an encounter, it might be that animals can sense that disturbance.

That's all I'm suggesting. No proof at all. Just conjecture.

• Like 1

Dogs are smart and compared with us have 'superhuman' senses. They also have a sense of humor and know how to mess with us by making us think that they can see things that don't exist. ;)

Science aside, I believe that animals can sense presences that we cannot. When we lived in an old farmhouse some years ago, my cats used to sit staring at something and purring all the while. They also used to run upstairs at the time when we heard footsteps up there (when my husband and I were both on the first floor--and there were no other humans in the household).

This is an interesting report. How did the cat "sense" imminent death for these persons?

Cat's "Sixth Sense" Predicting Death?

Predicting the death of a patient, even an elderly, demented one, is an inexact science, even for a doctor with decades of medical experience.

But a cat in a Providence, R.I., nursing home, an animal shelter refugee named Oscar, seems to have a sixth sense about when residents in the home's advanced dementia unit are about to pass away. And his actions can sometimes

help alert the staff to notify family members in time for them to get to the nursing home to tell their loved ones goodbye.

When he senses their time is near, Oscar goes to the room, jumps onto the bed, curls up next to the patient, and purrs. The 2-year-old cat provides

welcome company for grieving family members and staff keeping their bedside

vigil; sometimes he fills in for family members who haven't yet arrived at the bedside.

So far, Oscar has "presided over" the deaths of more than 25 residents in the advanced dementia unit of the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.

Read more

• Like 2

see the reason for my question is my daddy died recently in October and my dog Lily (don't let he cute name fool you) went crazy barking and staring at one corner of the room. She was quite whats the word...... hell bent on having a stare down with the wall. but thing is I also hav a great grandpa that died and i think his spirit is here to but who knows??? But the reason i think there is a spirit at least protecting me is that my dog Lily didn't attack the corner (with her five pounds of nothing) proves to me she was only frightned. another reason is my dog Ryder (the cutest dacshund in the world although hes got a little bit of weight put on him) would si up in the living room and have a stare down with the ceiling. See thing is other than breaking bones which is my fault most of the time and i've only broken three i never get hurt like ever and i never get cut when i fall. Here's an example yesturday there was this vine of thorns coming from my rose bush and i stepped right on it thing is as sharp as though things were i wasn't hurt can ya'll give me advice pleas????

Angelspawn.

Please accept my condolences on your loss.

The only true certainty in life is that it ends. Take some comfort in the fact that your dad has gone to where we all eventually go and that is the natural order, not something to be feared.

We cannot escape that and nor should we. It is our special gift, the defining characteristic of our existence. We 'live on' in our 'legacy': the ripples of our deeds and our children.

Don't grieve too long, be happy that he lived and celebrate his legacy.

All the best

Gene

• Like 2

um ok well i didnt want an argument to erupt but thing is dogs are smart but they see in black and white not color i think the reason the see them or sense them is because the see the wold in shades of grey that we dont and i think thats the rason. :whistle::w00t:

I agree with Sakari,

My dogs stare at random objects, walls, ceiling, the ground and people or my cats. I find it funny how people assume when animals are staring at nothing or they are acting odd is because it is "paranormal" but honestly how many people can read the mind of the dog or have a full two way conversation with english words for every one to hear? My dog scruffy JR, has reallly good hearing, When he stares off to space, he is trying to hear something. Example, Scruffy can hear my wifes car almost a mile away because her engine makes a slight squeeking noise. Scruffy would pause for about 10 seconds looking at something then run to the garage door.

I am not saying that is the 100% explanation on why dogs stare into space but it makes more logical sense then people saying dogs can sense energies.

Let's look at a loop hole, I can claim my fish can see ghosts because they stare outside for most the day.

• Like 1

I agree with Sakari,

My dogs stare at random objects, walls, ceiling, the ground and people or my cats. I find it funny how people assume when animals are staring at nothing or they are acting odd is because it is "paranormal" but honestly how many people can read the mind of the dog or have a full two way conversation with english words for every one to hear? My dog scruffy JR, has reallly good hearing, When he stares off to space, he is trying to hear something. Example, Scruffy can hear my wifes car almost a mile away because her engine makes a slight squeeking noise. Scruffy would pause for about 10 seconds looking at something then run to the garage door.

I am not saying that is the 100% explanation on why dogs stare into space but it makes more logical sense then people saying dogs can sense energies.

Let's look at a loop hole, I can claim my fish can see ghosts because they stare outside for most the day.

Makes me wonder how many people did not take their dog to a vet when it was staring off into space ( see my post above ), or acting strange.....

To have their loved one die, or become more sick because they thought it was seeing Uncle Donald, when in fact it had some treatable infection or health concern...

Simple : If your dog or cat is acting weird, take it to a Vet, not a Paranormal site.

Same goes for people, go to a Doctor.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was housesitting for a neighbour and taking care of their dog when they were away.

Anyway, the dog, this harmless quite little Highland terrier, was getting on in years and spent most of his day just curled up in his dog basket asleep or playing with his toys.

I was in the kitchen when all of a sudden he jumped up and ran towards the front door, barking like crazy. I opened the door for him and he ran into the middle of the lawn, barking and snarling at nothing. He was being pretty vicious about it. He kept it up, barking and yelping towards the same place where there was nothing until he calmed down, came back inside and went back to sleep in his blanket.

It was quite odd.

No offense but sometimes I think Sakari kind of his a dog, he seems obsessed with wolves being his avatar.

ANyway, it could be possible that they are more receptive to the paranormal with their heightened senses.

• Like 1

It's weird. Sometimes my cats can be a bit weird, they just refuse to come into the house or bolt but act normal later.

Animals staring at things I wouldn't put down to anything supernatural. My parrot does that all the time, he watches things, and if you look very closely it always turns out to be a fly or a shadow or a bird outside.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Animals Can Definitely Sense Something That Us Humans Can't .. And I'm Not Talking Only About Hearing Or Smelling Better .. Their Brains Are Tuned On A Somewhat Different Wave Lenghts .. Who Knows What They Can See/ Sense That We Can't ..