Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Great Big User Name Thread

Likely Guy

A long ago comedy team George Burns and Gracie Allen. He ended the show with "say goodnight Gracie". I just changed the spelling.

Was George your younger brother?

:)

• Like 1

How did you know Eldo? I taught him how to smoke cigars.

• Like 1

Super-Fly!

Aint got a clue, just sounds alright.

boring i know LMAO

The 'cleverest' aka of all time IMO, was the one used by H. Vernon Watson, an English variety artist - known throughout the 20's and 30's as NOSMO KING.

• Like 2

The 'cleverest' aka of all time IMO, was the one used by H. Vernon Watson, an English variety artist - known throughout the 20's and 30's as NOSMO KING.

Its a good one, taken from a 'No Smoking' sign.

As youngster I remember being told this was because he couldn't read to well, is there any truth to this?

• Like 1

While I'm here I better add the reason for my 'handle'...

My fathers nickname is Chubby (or Chubb), this in turn lead me to come up with Junior Chubb when out 'tagging' as a youngster, it has stuck from then really...

• Like 1

As youngster I remember being told this was because he couldn't read to well, is there any truth to this?

I've never heard that, but I'll see if I can find out.

Edited by ealdwita

Mine? Anglo-Saxon...

ealdwita [] m (-n/-n) venerable man, priest, sage, one old or eminent in knowledge; an elder, senior, principal person.

An old wit. As in, "Wit is a form of intellectual humor, and is the ability to say or write things that are clever and usually funny."

Mine is a playon word on a british DJ called Annie Mac,so I changed Mac to Smack for humorous reasons because she is rather crazy,and Ali because at the time I thought she was called Ali.

And I have a picture of Katy Perry as my Avatar because it's a funny picture,which I find amusing.

It is probably good i've kept the name Ali as I am male,so would probably sound silly if I called myself Annie

Mine was originally a name I made up for D&D eons ago for kind of a swashbuckling kind of character. Now it's the surname of my privateer character garb when I go to faire.

Its a good one, taken from a 'No Smoking' sign.

I don't think this is where Watson took the name from; I've found reference to the illiteracy story on some religious websites but not in relation to this performer. Interested to hear if anyone else turns something up though!

• Like 1

I first discovered this site back in 2003. Came here everyday for a couple of years to read the articles, never even looked at the forums. When I decided to join in 2005 (to access the members only galleries), the Sci-Fi channel was airing the series Farscape. Pilot (one of the characters in the show) used the term "stardrive" for his faster than light mode of travel. So as I tried different names, all of which were taken, I thought of "stardrive" and it was available. And the rest is history......

edit:spelling

excellent show.

I don't think this is where Watson took the name from; I've found reference to the illiteracy story on some religious websites but not in relation to this performer. Interested to hear if anyone else turns something up though!

I was pretty sure about the 'No Smoking' was right, but unsure about the illiteracy thing. Lets hope a web sleuth on here will get to the bottom of it.

• Like 3

i figured the ladies are tired of the knight in the shining armor and let's face it they digs this name :D

• Like 3

i figured the ladies are tired of the knight in the shining armor and let's face it they digs this name :D

The trouble is KoS, your character and morality are exactly the reverse of what is expected of a Knight!

s11945.gif

• Like 5

The trouble is KoS, your character and morality are exactly the reverse of what is expected of a Knight!

s11945.gif

exactly because every one expect knight in shining armor :P not a shadows knight !

• Like 2

I was pretty sure about the 'No Smoking' was right, but unsure about the illiteracy thing. Lets hope a web sleuth on here will get to the bottom of it.

Sorry, my last post was really half a post! You're absolutely right about the "No Smoking" sign, it's just the illiteracy bit that's apocryphal.

Edited by schizoidwoman
  • Like 2

excellent show.

Yeah it was fun to watch. Don't you dare change your name 7's. I'll, I'll, take away your birthday if you do... :lol:

Mine is no where near as clever as some of the users on this forum but anyway...

My surname is Dickson

My nickname is Dicko

One day my mate bought an old Mortal Kombat arcade machine. We played it for ages but it was second hand and already had high-scores that we couldn't beat or reset. Then one magical day I actually beat a few of the high-scores, but you could only put a three digit name for the score. Considering most of my mates call me Dicko instead of my real name, I put my high-score as DKO instead of my real initials.

DKO was meant to be a shorter version of Dicko...

• Like 2

Mine is no where near as clever as some of the users on this forum but anyway...

My surname is Dickson

My nickname is Dicko

One day my mate bought an old Mortal Kombat arcade machine. We played it for ages but it was second hand and already had high-scores that we couldn't beat or reset. Then one magical day I actually beat a few of the high-scores, but you could only put a three digit name for the score. Considering most of my mates call me Dicko instead of my real name, I put my high-score as DKO instead of my real initials.

DKO was meant to be a shorter version of Dicko...

I like the Mortal Combat story. The fatality finishing moves in that game could give your handle another meaning though....

DKO = Death Knock Out :tu:

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

I like the Mortal Combat story. The fatality finishing moves in that game could give your handle another meaning though....

DKO = Death Knock Out :tu:

Haha that's funny. That can be my fatality move, "Finish Him!" - up, up, left, right, blue button - 'Death Knock Out'.

• Like 1

Dear Moderator,

I'm just curious as to why this topic was moved from the 'Community Lounge' forum to 'General Off-Topic Discussion'.

In the community lounge forum, one of the pinned/permanent topics is 'Pets Gallery'. I ask, how is a photo of my fido more pertinent to the community than asking a fellow member of this community, "Where does your name come from?"

Respectfully,

Likely Guy

• Like 3

Dear Moderator,

On second thought, this thread will probably do better down here.

Thx just the same.

- Likely Guy

• Like 1

My name is a shortened version of out of the box skeptic. Genealogically speaking I'm mostly German. It should have read aus der Braun box skeptisch. But I had to shorten it. It didn't feel right. So I took out Braun or of. Save on carpel tunnel for you all and myself. LOL

Later found out the translate program was slightly flawed as it should read aus der box skeptika. Due to the usage of skeptic as a proper noun. To which i simply wasnt aware of proper sentence structure in german. but I like it all the same. I can't change it now this is me.

And call me Aus. Or I suppose ADBS ... just don't trouble yourself with the whole spelling.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch
  • Like 1

Aus,

That is the most complicated explanation that I've heard thusfar.

Nice to meet you finally (in an 'internet era' sorta way).

- LG

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1