Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Great Big User Name Thread

Likely Guy

*wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Say no more 'ey!*

I chose mine many years ago when internet sites were BBS's on dial up modems (back in the Dark Ages)...

I had just finished reading a really beautifully illustrated book of Irish Legends (The Book of Invasions - by Jim Fitzpatrick)

and was struck by a bit of the poem in the story of Tuan mac Cairill - who lives for many thousands of years in various animal and human forms....

The lines were "I am Legend, I am Memory, I am Memory turned into myth"

And so of course I immediately fat fingered the spelling of Tuan into Taun - and was too lazy to fix it.. and so I've been Taun ever since on every board/site I go to...

Edited by Taun

...And so of course I immediately fat fingered the spelling of Tuan into Taun - and was too lazy to fix it.. and so I've been Taun ever since on every board/site I go to...

That's too funny! Speaking of Dark Ages... I'm on dial up, Internet Explorer 6, to boot! I've got two newer computers, but this one feels like an old pair of shoes.

i was between 16 and 19. i woke up in the middle of the night because i had a dream and i had to remember these 2 words for some reason. "semorgus gentai." even though i dont remember anything about the dream i had other than me having to or wanting to remember those words. i wrote them down on a paper with a list of gifts for my girlfriend for christmas because it was the closest thing to me without me getting out of bed. i went back to sleep. i woke up in the morning, looked at those words, and have wondered ever since. im now 36. what do they mean and in what language? are they even the same language or 2 different ones? these words mean something to me but i dont know what. so at 21 i got a tatoo of them. its my only tat. i figured id just use gentai because it sounds nice. like gentle. semorgus sounds like the morgue. ive tried asking people. even looked on the computer only to learn that i am dumb and have no luck. i thought, once, i did see in some asian language i thought it said gentai means decay or to decay. i have not seen any semorgus definition. if any one could ever help me i would be eternally grateful.

I think it means "tiny genitals" in Ancient Greek....good luck with that tatt!!! ;):P

As for me...I just liked this commercial is all - especially the plumber LOL:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Sheetz

I chose mine many years ago when internet sites were BBS's on dial up modems (back in the Dark Ages)...

I had just finished reading a really beautifully illustrated book of Irish Legends (The Book of Invasions - by Jim Fitzpatrick)

and was struck by a bit of the poem in the story of Tuan mac Cairill - who lives for many thousands of years in various animal and human forms....

The lines were "I am Legend, I am Memory, I am Memory turned into myth"

And so of course I immediately fat fingered the spelling of Tuan into Taun - and was too lazy to fix it.. and so I've been Taun ever since on every board/site I go to...

Nice story Taun, I do like consistency with Handles. I do not know why people use different handles for different websites (aside from it being taken!). Pick something unique and stick with it, you will be amazed when you bump into some elsewhere on the web and recognise their handle. :)

• Like 1

Nice story Taun, I do like consistency with Handles. I do not know why people use different handles for different websites (aside from it being taken!). Pick something unique and stick with it, you will be amazed when you bump into some elsewhere on the web and recognise their handle. :)

I also use the same Avatar (except on one milblog I rarely comment on) - I'm a huge Rocky and Bullwinkle fan and the odd red color easily catches my eye as I scroll through pages of postings to find my last one...

Edited by Taun

My name is Danny . So Ithought Danydandan was kinda cool. Also my mother calls me dandan. which is kinda sad .

• Like 1

My name is Danny . So Ithought Danydandan was kinda cool. Also my mother calls me dandan. which is kinda sad .

No comment on your handle Danydandan ;)

But what a top class avatar you have there my friend :)

The Flintstones. The alien known as "The Great Gazoo!". I just put a K because I like it better.

For some reason everyone who liked the Flintstones hated him. I thought he was an amusing character....

Aus,

That is the most complicated explanation that I've heard thusfar.

Nice to meet you finally (in an 'internet era' sorta way).

- LG

lmao irl I have the same problem. Someone says hey look at that and I end up dialogue-ing about random facts and di ya knows when I probably could have just said ..."cool" LOL

Nice nearing you too!

• Like 1

Drayno is short for Draynor's Finest

• Like 1

Uggh I meant nice meeting you too. Not nice nearing you... I don't know you well enough for that! LOL

Uggh I meant nice meeting you too. Not nice nearing you... I don't know you well enough for that! LOL

Hah! The first time I read your post I didn't notice.

The 'cleverest' aka of all time IMO, was the one used by H. Vernon Watson, an English variety artist - known throughout the 20's and 30's as NOSMO KING.

reminds me of that written joke/prank.... I AM SOFA KING..... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is just from M.U.G. (Man's Unbifurcated Garment, like kilt or fustanella) and the Gum in front just to make it symmetrical. Now you know.

• Like 1

Mine is just from M.U.G. (Man's Unbifurcated Garment, like kilt or fustanella) and the Gum in front just to make it symmetrical. Now you know.

Thank's for dragging up this thread!

"Man's Unbifurcated Garment" I had to look that up. As in ?: http://www.destinyslobster.com/unbifurcated/index.html

That's one of the more obscure explanations so far, for sure. :)

/right now, I'm jealous!

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

LOL, I'm a sci-fi fan and always loved Battlestar Galactica when I was a kid.

Sci-fi mixed with mthology and best of all: Chrome Robots!

Not the new version from RDM, that was a pale immitation.

'Atlantia' was the president's ship that was destroyed in the first episode.

post-112723-0-26202700-1345022634_thumb.

• Like 3

I change my display name about twice a year, just to keep it confusing. Currently, Maestro is my actual CB handle from my days as an office manager at a Railroad depot. I was responsible for coordinating shipping and yard arrangements, so...Maestro.

• Like 1

Thank's for dragging up this thread!

"Man's Unbifurcated Garment" I had to look that up. As in ?: http://www.destinysl...ated/index.html

That's one of the more obscure explanations so far, for sure. :)

/right now, I'm jealous!

Btw, thanks for the link, I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

• Like 1

Xram Lrak

Make sense?

Kidding :D

What? Not serious!? *scratches head*

I change my display name about twice a year, just to keep it confusing. Currently, Maestro is my actual CB handle from my days as an office manager at a Railroad depot. I was responsible for coordinating shipping and yard arrangements, so...Maestro.

You had an actual CB handle? When I was 10, I sooo wanted a CB radio but my parents gave me the old, "Not until you're older." Then, when I was older, CB radios fell out of fashion.

And then a couple decades later the internet came along and then I realized, "I didn't really want a CB radio, I wanted a 'handle'."

When i joined UM back in the day, my friend and I were browsing the site for the first time.

Every time a picture popped up of something unusual he's say "Thats mental, man!"

So yeah, the name just stuck.

You had an actual CB handle? When I was 10, I sooo wanted a CB radio but my parents gave me the old, "Not until you're older." Then, when I was older, CB radios fell out of fashion.

And then a couple decades later the internet came along and then I realized, "I didn't really want a CB radio, I wanted a 'handle'."

Absolutely, you need one if working in an environment where there are a lot of people coming in and out, some local, some from across the country. I worked for Norfolk and Southern Rail and if someone would have said "Hey Paul!" over the radio, 15 people would have answered.

• Like 1