Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pig-dogging

ZaraKitty

I have seen it, the article take a pretty hardline view from a few extremists I would say. It's been going since I was a kid. I grew up on broadacre farmland in Queensland, and feral pigs are a real problem, they destroy crops and wildlife, and people are often in danger. I remember as a kid waiting for the school bus when a feral pig happened along, I was up the closest tree like a monkey.

I have not seen drawn out torture, but when I was young, few took up the dog/knife option, it was mainly dogs and guns. The dogs hold the pig while you kill it. Often a .243 to the head is faster than 20 seconds as said in the article. Usually the male too, he runs at you while the female and piglets head for cover. I have eaten wild boar, but it is not recommended, They are usually filled with worms.

Personally, having been there done that I think that the article is somewhat exaggerated and would have to had to look around a bit to find the right person for this article.

Kangaroos are hunted like this too, but I never took a dog on a roo hunt. I have heard of it though, and know some people who have done it.

If the Government is really worried, they should eradicate Pigs in Australia altogether, they do not belong here.

• Like 2

"Which is better--to have laws and agree, or to hunt and kill?"

Agreed that there are irresponsible idiots that torture and dont look after their dogs......I even had a youth try to buy a cattle prod off me (electric) to make his pup more savage.. :no::hmm::angry:

Feral pigs are definitely a major problem that needs addressing and to ban pig dogging would only drive the sport underground. Perhaps regulations and an advertising campaign towards responsible, humane hunting might help..

• Like 3

We have wild boar around here...what poachers do is leave trails of food into open spaces so when they appear they can shoot them.......people round here are starting to take matters into their own hands when dealing with the poachers now. kinda nice to see the tables turned..

• Like 1

Feral pigs have become so over populated that they can be killed year round as pests without any license required in Mississippi. They can destroy crops and threaten humans who run across them in the wild. I've not heard of people hunting them with dogs here though.

One custom that is a bit brutal is the training of Greyhounds for the racetrack. It involves having them chase down and kill a jack rabbit so they'll chase the lure later. The sound that the jack rabbit makes is almost like a human scream. It's disturbing.

• Like 1

We have wild boar around here...what poachers do is leave trails of food into open spaces so when they appear they can shoot them.......people round here are starting to take matters into their own hands when dealing with the poachers now. kinda nice to see the tables turned..

It's not against the law to shoot wild boar in the UK.

"Pig dogging" i hope this doesn't involve driving your favorite pig to a local parking area.

Edited by hetrodoxly
  • Like 3

It's not against the law to shoot wild boar in the UK.

Organised forestry commission culling and private shoots on private land isn't, poaching wild boar on forestry commission land is illegal.

The fact that it's conservation hunting isn't what bothers me. That there's a competition and videos put on YouTube bothers me. There's a tv show (or two) that I've seen where they talk about people who hunt wild boar with their dogs.

boar's are dangerous

The fact that it's conservation hunting isn't what bothers me. That there's a competition and videos put on YouTube bothers me. There's a tv show (or two) that I've seen where they talk about people who hunt wild boar with their dogs.

don't see anything wrong with that, actually much more humane that how its done at these meat plants...

• Like 1

"Pig dogging" i hope this doesn't involve driving your favorite pig to a local parking area.

That's just WRONG, man.....on so many levels :w00t:

LOL @ "humane hunting"

Dig it Eldorado , but whatcha gonna do? They are getting out of control. I like Jules point about "responsible humane hunting" .. as opposed to the method described. ( sick the dogs on em , tare um up a little ta hold em stilll , then shoot em. BANG ! .. BANG ! ... dangit , i'm gonna run outa dogs!! . BANG!) that's too hillbilly even for me.. i can't even kill a fish anymore! . :)

LMAO, very different meaning where im from, minus the Pig, ha.

LOL @ "humane hunting"

Agreed in this instance, as these sadists are posting video evidence, they are either sick or uneducated not to know they are doing wrong.

"PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS ACT 1979 - SECT 6

Aggravated cruelty to animals

6 Aggravated cruelty to animals

(1) A person shall not commit an act of aggravated cruelty upon an

Maximum penalty: 1,000 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 200 penalty units or imprisonment for 2 years, or both, in the case of an individual.

(2) In any proceedings for an offence against subsection (1), the
may:

(a) where it is not satisfied that the person accused of the offence is guilty of the offence, and

( where it is satisfied that that person is guilty of an offence against section 5 (1),

convict that person of an offence against section 5 (1). "

Where the dog was put into a cage and allowed to kill the pigs is a crime under the act....The uploader/dog owner could be prosecuted.
:tu: Edited by jules99
  • Like 1

Eradicate pigs from oz....but but but...what about your bacon?!

:rofl::tu:

I guess we could trade some tasty roo meat with the Europeans? Kanga Bangas anyone?

• Like 1

Problem is killer dog breeds, get rid of the lot of them. In most cases the owners are more feral than the pigs they chase.

• Like 5

LMAO, very different meaning where im from, minus the Pig, ha.

I know the meaning i'm from the UK as well, i was going to google "Pig Dogging" but i was worried about what i might find. :o:lol:

• Like 1

I know the meaning i'm from the UK as well, i was going to google "Pig Dogging" but i was worried about what i might find. ohmy.pnglaugh.png

lmao, know what im saying!

• 2 weeks later...

Piggings a normal part of life in rural Australia.

Americans hunt their animals, wild pigs are all we got that's worthwhile.

I've never heard of that the term pig-dogging before. Never known anyone that really hunts either. I hate the idea of hunting with dogs though.

• Like 1

I've never heard of that the term pig-dogging before. Never known anyone that really hunts either. I hate the idea of hunting with dogs though.

Why do you hate it DKO? If it's done safely and with dogs that have been trained well it's an exciting sport. Nothing like the sound of a good dog when he picks up the scent. Of course there's danger for the dogs if you hunt with careless people (or idiots) but that's just a matter of being selective in who you hunt with. Anyway, I love to hunt deer, squirrel and dove and though I don't own dogs for it I would if I could. I had a Beagle for about 16 years but all she hunted was a biscuit and a blanket :w00t:

Why do you hate it DKO? If it's done safely and with dogs that have been trained well it's an exciting sport. Nothing like the sound of a good dog when he picks up the scent. Of course there's danger for the dogs if you hunt with careless people (or idiots) but that's just a matter of being selective in who you hunt with. Anyway, I love to hunt deer, squirrel and dove and though I don't own dogs for it I would if I could. I had a Beagle for about 16 years but all she hunted was a biscuit and a blanket :w00t:

I probably shouldn't have used the word hate but dislike :yes:. The idea of these dogs going in and thrashing the other animal puts me off a bit and these wild pigs could do some serious damage to the dogs too.

I have no problem with hunters that train their dogs to round up the prey, I could see that being enjoyable hunting with a pet.