Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earliest spiral galaxy ever seen

Waspie_Dwarf

Earliest spiral galaxy ever seen: a shocking discovery

Astronomers have witnessed for the first time a spiral galaxy in the early universe, billions of years before many other spiral galaxies formed. In findings reported July 19 in the journal Nature, the astronomers said they discovered it while using the Hubble Space Telescope to take pictures of about 300 very distant galaxies in the early universe and to study their properties. This distant spiral galaxy is being observed as it existed roughly three billion years after the Big Bang, and light from this part of the universe has been traveling to Earth for abou

t 10.7 billion years.

"As you go back in time to the early universe, galaxies look really strange, clumpy and irregular, not symmetric," said Alice Shapley, a UCLA associate professor of physics and astronomy, and co-author of the study. "The vast majority of old galaxies look like train wrecks. Our first thought was, why is this one so different, and so beautiful?"

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

You know, it just friggin amazes me as to how vast and beautiful the cosmos is.

I could spend my whole life on some type of "star ship", zipping around and soaking in the wonderous sites out there.

• Like 2

You know, it just friggin amazes me as to how vast and beautiful the cosmos is.

I could spend my whole life on some type of "star ship", zipping around and soaking in the wonderous sites out there.

Hey you should do that then right your memoirs down turn it into a book and call it star trek. lol ps: just messin with you. :yes:

Hey you should do that then right your memoirs down turn it into a book and call it star trek. lol ps: just messin with you. :yes:

They have that already? Dang.

I had a whole series in mind as well as a few movies.

(...pallidin drinks another beer in shameful sorrow...) :(

Star Wars? Hmmm... I like it!

That my new title. Na Na Na Na Na ! :passifier:

cant people just accept that the universe had always been, and will always be here. There are no concept of time. There is no beginning and no end.

• Like 1

cant people just accept that the universe had always been, and will always be here. There are no concept of time. There is no beginning and no end.

Well they could accept that if the evidence supported it. Unfortunately just at the moment it doesn't.

science has shown that the universe is far more vast than we ever thought. im sorry but i think that there is so much more out there than we will ever be able to see and discover.

furthermore, i think that this should show us that this information wasnt meant to be known by us, and honestly we should leave the best, hardest mysteries to the imagination and live as good and honestly as possible instead of trying to explain it.

i find it so ironic that science thought for the longest time that through dna and space exploration they thought they woudl prove the universe is scientific and humans are randomly formed, life spawned from a scientific reaction and it has spawned a psuedoreligion that claims that we werent created by god (im not a christian mind you, and i do believe we evolved by the way, so dont call me a religious nut, im more of a scientific nut)

but dna researchers have come to the conclusion that life and dna could have never just randomly came to gether or evolved. that far down at the most basic there is no way it just came to be, it would take a googleplex times a trillion years to come to be randomly without direction (research dna and if it could evolve) kind of showing that there was an intellegence that drove the creation of life.

now im not going to say that i believe one way or the other, im just saying that when i read that i was shocked. the people who study our dna are convinced it didnt evolve at all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

science has shown that the universe is far more vast than we ever thought. im sorry but i think that there is so much more out there than we will ever be able to see and discover.

furthermore, i think that this should show us that this information wasnt meant to be known by us, and honestly we should leave the best, hardest mysteries to the imagination and live as good and honestly as possible instead of trying to explain it.

i find it so ironic that science thought for the longest time that through dna and space exploration they thought they woudl prove the universe is scientific and humans are randomly formed, life spawned from a scientific reaction and it has spawned a psuedoreligion that claims that we werent created by god (im not a christian mind you, and i do believe we evolved by the way, so dont call me a religious nut, im more of a scientific nut)

but dna researchers have come to the conclusion that life and dna could have never just randomly came to gether or evolved. that far down at the most basic there is no way it just came to be, it would take a googleplex times a trillion years to come to be randomly without direction (research dna and if it could evolve) kind of showing that there was an intellegence that drove the creation of life.

now im not going to say that i believe one way or the other, im just saying that when i read that i was shocked. the people who study our dna are convinced it didnt evolve at all.

ancient-aliens-i-dont-know-therefore-aliens.jpg

It's too bad the photo of it is so pixilated... of course at that distance that is probably the best our current optics will allow...

"Fascinating" as Spock would say. It's like having a live video feed billions of years old.