Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Hole in Mars

Still Waters

Not sure there is much of a story here, but if they explore it and find something then I'll gladly eat my words!

Ya, there is a faint ridge around the 'crater' . If it's an impact crater it's surface debris was buried with wind blown sand?

... because there is no trace of outward streaks or even chunks! ... the thing is mysterious!

What cyanneyed said makes sense: " Being on the side of a volcano, could it not just be a magma cavern that's caved in over time?"

◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

Mar's Victoria Crater post-86645-0-78934400-1343087473_thumb.j

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/TRA/TRA_000873_1780/Victoria-red.jpg&imgrefurl=http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/TRA/TRA_000873_1780/victoria.html&usg=__3XGVxk5NnuzYdAAZmH23Ul6jghU=&h=4947&w=4672&sz=2808&hl=en&start=83&zoom=1&tbnid=_HOfQpKo7RYdjM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=142&ei=a-ANUJbgKqGT6wGtrYDACA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dimpact%2Bcrater%2Bon%2Bmars%26start%3D63%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

This HiRISE image shows "Victoria Crater," an impact crater at Meridiani Planum, near the equator of Mars. The crater is approximately 800 meters (about half a mile) in diameter. It has a distinctive "scalloped" shape to its rim, caused by erosion and downhill movement of crater wall material. Layered sedimentary rocks are exposed along the inner wall of the crater, and boulders that have fallen from the crater wall are visible on the crater floor. The floor of the crater is occupied by a striking field of sand dunes.

Since January, 2004, the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity has been operating at Meridiani Planum. Five days before this image was taken, Opportunity arrived at the rim of Victoria Crater, after a drive of more than 9 km (over 5 miles). The rover can be seen in this image, at roughly the "ten o'clock" position along the rim of the crater.

Is it really that hard to believe? When we still have people debating that we have holes in the north and south poles leading into our earth? I personally believe it but thats from a bias of information ive researched.

This doesn't look like a sink hole or an impact crater to me because it's clearly raised far above the surface, kind of like a pimple. There also appears to be a curve to the tunnel, like if one were to fly down the 90 degree opening it would eventually turn into a 120 degree turn. There is a brightness inside the black half moon of the shadow, as if it is being illuminated from inside. If this is all ice maybe it could happen but I am currently rethinking the inner core world theory. Crazy? Might be, but someone has to be "crazy" so that the self righteous & the closed minded have something to complain about... Hehe

Edited by Lava_Lady

At first I was leaning toward it being a sink hole. But looking at the pic again, there does appear to be a faint ridge around the crater. So I'm voting impact crater too.

Edit: I thought the dirt on Mars was Red??

This is a true colour view of Mars: (from Nasa)

mars.jpg

Yeah, there is ice in the North and South.... (a lot of people fial to mention this, I was kinda shocked when I found out)

Ther eis more google images of Mars that shows there is more than that as well.

• Like 2

Cool photo.

Looks like a crater to me as well but..is it possible that over time the bottom of the crater eroded away to reveal a lava tube or something?

This is a true colour view of Mars: (from Nasa)

mars.jpg

Yeah, there is ice in the North and South.... (a lot of people fial to mention this, I was kinda shocked when I found out)

Ther eis more google images of Mars that shows there is more than that as well.

Nice photo I actually I thought you were writing in french for a second then realized its a typo. lol
  • Like 1

Nice photo I actually I thought you were writing in french for a second then realized its a typo. lol

Haha, I bought a stupidly over prized keyboard for gaming and it causes me to make so much typos. My right hand seems to type faster as well which makes it worse. lol

• Like 1

It is an sink hole, probably caused during the time Mars was still wet. Sand is there, only reason you don't notice it is because you are looking at the picture in false color.

I go with the crater theory. Having visited Meteor Crater, I can say that the hole on Mars looks very much like the one in Arizona. (Hm; perhaps they were both created by the liftoff burners of the same alien craft... :P)

It's a wonderful photo, regardless.

• Like 1