Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wig Suggestions :-)

sarah snow

Hi Sarah,

Your mother is probably concerned at the thought of you shaving all your hair off, but perhaps once it's gone she will be more acceptable of what you've done and your reasons why. You can't stop mum's from worrying, that's what we do best :yes:

Talking of wigs. When I was in hospital recently there was this dark haired lady who arrived on the ward rather late one night, and they were getting her ready for surgery. I took note of the fact that she was having such a late operation. Anyway next morning I was looking across at her in bed and noticed she was wearing a head scarf which at the time I didn't think too much about, until at lunch time she joined us at the table and started speaking about her hair loss after treatment for cancer. The point I'm trying to make is when she first arrived on the ward I never in a million years suspected she was wearing a wig, it looked so real and natural, it just goes to show how life-like they can be.

All the best to your friend Sarah, and to you also. She is lucky to have so much support from you. That said, I can understand why you're prepared to do this without hesitation, friends are very special people. Good luck to you both on a long and emotional journey together xx

• Like 2

Thank you, SW, for those sensitive and informed comments. I don't have children myself, and won't have now, so it's something I can never understand. I try to take on board everything, although it is difficult to see certain aspects of things sometimes, when you have not ever experienced it for yourself :yes:

I am having my hair done to a grade 1 privately, and there is nothing about it that is 'public'. Nobody around me in our village or anywhere near knows I subscribe to this Forum, so it truly is a private choice. A few chosen and trusted friends know- and as I've had my hair bleached and dyed several colours (I do have a reputation for being a bit wacky anyway :w00t: they will just think a wig is part of my fundraising for my charity sea swim). There has never been an intention to make any sort of statement. They'll just think it's me being my usual doofus, fundraising self :su And as I'm not even going to be living here after end of August- I truly don't see the harm, if I'm not going to be parading anything round, which would never happen anyway xx

I will discuss it with Lynda face to face- she was expecting the crap to hit the fan anyway. But she's the only one IMHO, who can say if this is right or wrong. She has had a giggle about it, and anticipated it. But I have to float the question. She knows our difficult relationship (Mother & I) over the years as she's always seen it and experienced it, since we've been friends over the years, so I believe she's best placed to say in this situation, what is best for HER, vis-a-vis any action I take, or what I do to support her in this battle xxxx .

Lynda has laughed out loud, at my frenzy, that she said she had to be "tomorrow in the morning", at hospital for a consultation.

Sarah Doofus, freaking out, and about to send emergency texts for a staff member to cover me. I though she meant we had to be in on Sunday- big time juggling!! It's Monday....phewwww!!

Flower is precise in everything - swine woman, almost gave me a heart attack!! :P

Good time to 'fess up, and Lynda is 100% behind my hair shave. Said do it, and raise money for charity, if you want. Me- no, because this is at the end of the day, about you & me, and just us.

She is going to get poked and prodded and feel like bleughhh, but this is the one thing, where I can be there for her. It's private, just for Us xxxx.

Said she feels so surreal these days, all this to come will simply be another laugh in our landscape, ultimately. Next year, we are so going on holiday again!! I asked her if there was a destination where we had not been yet, and wanted to go. She said Tobago. We are SO going there!! I LOVE her to her bones xxxxx :clap: :clap:

Edited by sarah snow

sarah, you are tops. I think your friend must be a very special person too. Friendships throughout life are what make it tolerable, though good friends are like platinum gold with diamonds sprinkled on top. She is a very lucky lady.

I think getting similar wigs would be awesome. :-*

• Like 1

sarah, you are tops. I think your friend must be a very special person too. Friendships throughout life are what make it tolerable, though good friends are like platinum gold with diamonds sprinkled on top. She is a very lucky lady.

I think getting similar wigs would be awesome. :-*

Couldn't agree more with Misty, you are a top friend!

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more with Misty, you are a top friend!

Thank you, both. I wish you could meet her, as she really is the only star, in all this mullarkey :-*

We have had a mixture of rain spit-spots and sunshine breaks this afternoon, and as we were talking on the telephone and I was outside, there was a BEAUTIFUL rainbow!! Me, forever like the excitable child..."Can ya see it, Flower??!! Can Ya?!! Can Ya??!" (as she lives 3 miles away) and she hoofed outside and was awestruck like me, as it was an absolute corker!!! All sorts of cool colours, right over by her house!! xx :clap: :clap:

We've got hospital tomorrow morning 9.30. She drives totally normally now, and her lack of booby with the seat belt, is not an impediment at all. She still does not feel lopsided. We laugh, when we shouldn't, but then never mind, as we were never the most politically correct people on the planet lol- as she has to have 2 'normal' softies in her bra. She always did have a magnificent rack and nothing's changed xx :tsu:

I know tomorrow, she is scared about it, She'd never admit that. It's going to be, to be honest, the best thing, as she's lived in limbo and it's all this hassle, as she wants to know, for her work as she's back doing 4 day weeks even now, with a Doctor's Note that signs her off until September. I know, I know, don't even start about how she should be resting up! If you want to hoof down here, and tell Bird that yourselves, please- be my guest!! xxx :lol: xxx

So, tomorrow, we will know the lay of the land. Dates and all that, and what has Flower been doing today? Sorting out one of her spare rooms, in case I need a place to live, after I leave the pub at end of August. She's sweet, she's tough, she's the real deal, she drives banger cars like a demon, she never panics, she's infuriating sometimes when she won't let me fuss over her, she loves the sunshine, she laughs constantly, she laughs about how I am totally freaking out about maybe having to change her grandchild's nappies if she's not going to be well enough and I have to have a crash course in stinky poo stuff, she reminisces with me, and she dreams too, about the future,she'll tell you if you are wrong dead straight and no flannel, but she boxes your corner always, always,always when she loves you, ...and she's my darling girl xxxx :clap:

Edited by sarah snow

I've asked her to pick me up a bit earlier tomorrow, as I want to get some choccies, for the Consultant. That scary woman, who actually, wasn't scary, at all.

What a crappy job, that must be. We are lucky, as Flower is going to live. But it must be awful, to do that job, and have to tell people, they are not in with much of a chance. When Flower was at the desk last time, there was this little old lady, and she had no hair, and her husband could barely walk, but they were there together. I have never told Flower, I said I was going for a tinkle, and just went into the loo, and cried. She didn't need me getting all fluffy. But, that touched me. Consultants deal with that every day.

A big salary is not the be all and end all, when you are surrounded by death and disappointment, that can't be nice to live with day in and day out. So, Sexy Shoes Lady Doc, is getting choccies from us tomorrow!!!! :clap: :clap:

Edited by sarah snow

We know, it will be dates tomorrow. Impact, coming. Bum cheeks :no:

We'll get through this, and it's just a case of blasting the nasties, into oblivion :yes:

If Flower ever gets proper poorly, and feels like bleughhh, I am going to play her this song:

The Scorpions

Holiday

[media=]

[/media]:

Tobago, Babes xxx :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by sarah snow

I'll also have my Scorpions CD clutched in hand, when she picks me up xx

I have a huge thing, about rock bands and classical together, now that really floats my boat :clap:

The Scorpions: Still Loving You

[media=]

[/media]

So many great songs on the album xx LOL, But she might be in the mood for summat else :su and her choice in music is always class. When we came back from Hospie last time, I cooked us a poachers roll and we sat in the garden scoffing it with mash & beans, and listened to War Of The Worlds :tsu:

Edited by sarah snow

Monday was scary. Also, a lot of waffle, and Flower has reported back to her Breast Nurse today, that it felt to her "like a sales pitch" in a way, as they gave leaflet (1) about wigs to buy (with a set of colours that range from grey or grey or grey in shades to nothing really remotely like her hair colour). Other related stuff, that got my goat, like about car parking charges in the months to come. Won't go into boring details, but I felt quite stunned that, by agreeing to set out a bank draft thing, Flower was told she would be "Quids In" by agreeing to pay the charges in advance. I'll leave that, for your consideration. I know how I felt about it. She's not particularly chuffed either, but she puts things more rationally, than I do, and I keep my gob firmly shut as she doesn't need me to speak for her, she does it better xx :yes:

Isn't it weird, that I've had a massive big upset today- someone has been very mean and unfair to me, and she is the one comforting me today. She's so angry about it, as I have been in tears tonight. I didn't want to tell her at first, as she's got so much to deal with- but the Bird always has this tuning fork in her head, not sure how she does, and made me promise years ago back in the 80s, not to hide anything from her. So I don't xx She's really angry about it, and if this had happened a few years ago, she would have gone and punched him out. But, we don't do that, as they are not worth it. Philosophy, always: walk away, hold your head high, as you have done nothing wrong xx It's just a blip on the landscape, in the big scheme of things where other things are so waaayyyyy more important. Just a horrible thing to happen which was unexpected when you try to do your best and all that, and Bird said he does he not deserve my tears. And she's right xxx :yes: xxx

The Nurses in chemo unit loved the toffee crisp choccie bars :yes: xxx

I have to steel myself. Flower has asked (if I am allowed, we don't know) if I can be with her, when she has her chemo treatments. She knows I am needle-phobic, but she also knows I will be there and I can overcome this phobia and deal with it regardless. We don't know, if I am allowed yet. But she knows (she always loved the TV series Casualty, and I used to hide my head in her sofa cushions, when there were injections on the telly, even though it's only pretend, it scares me that much). I am such a wimp IRL too, BIG TIME!!

When I had to be in hospital in the 90s abroad, how much did Flower laugh from my letters (years before mobile phones, I don't own one now LOL) that I tried to run away with my bum hanging out, dragging a drip on wheels behind me, as I didn't want an injection in my jacksy!! Company had paid for private hospital, and I was literally legging down a marble corridor, and she just could not stop laughing at the letter I wrote her, telling her they caught me not far from the entrance. I ran like the wind!! Sheesh....where did I think I was gonna run to? I just get a complete freak out, when I see a hyperdermic needle, and I just panic!

She's not even asked directly ,and I love her for that- some things you don't talk about, when you need someone to face a lifelong fear for you, you just make the decision to take the bull by the horns, and know they can do it, she knows that. Flower just said, very calmly:

"I forgot to ask them at the time, if you can be in with me, when I have all the intravenous done"

Sarah: "I was too busy thinking we were buying some time share LOL. I will be with you :yes: "

xxxx

Edited by sarah snow

The wig date is still undecided, as we think it may be towards end of August now when the treatment starts. So any suggestions are very welcome, not decided on my funkiest one yet xx :yes: xx

Wow, wigs are so much fun. Personally, I would go totally radical and get long, long shiny hair down to the thigh AND a completely short cut wig - then chop and change between the two on various days - it will freak those who only know you in passing out (as well as those who know you well hehe) and you can both laugh at the look on their faces. Some folk who may have just seen you in the past but not spoken may find an excuse to chat - you could spread alot of fun (although I think you do that anyway, what an amazing friend you are and an amazing couple of mates you girls are too - it's brilliant).

• Like 2

Wow, wigs are so much fun. Personally, I would go totally radical and get long, long shiny hair down to the thigh AND a completely short cut wig - then chop and change between the two on various days - it will freak those who only know you in passing out (as well as those who know you well hehe) and you can both laugh at the look on their faces. Some folk who may have just seen you in the past but not spoken may find an excuse to chat - you could spread alot of fun (although I think you do that anyway, what an amazing friend you are and an amazing couple of mates you girls are too - it's brilliant).

Oooooo!!!! That a REALLY fun idea, thank you, libstaK!!!! :tsu:

I know, I keep saying it, but it so it true- but SHE really is the amazing one :yes: xx

Today I had a business meeting, about basically my future with a possible employer, as I am leaving the pub I have managed (my choice, but part of the reason why I was so beside myself recently, as I've put my life on a hiatus since June, to keep a promise to keep it going, until sold). It's a....long and boring story why I was crying and not worth saying about some tosspot...but he's found out that I will not be bullied, when I am doing you a favour *IF THERE WAS AN 'UP YOURS' SMILEY, I WOULD INSERT IT HERE* :yes:

The business meeting went really well, and although nothing is set in stone, it's looking VERY positive at this early stage. I wasn't expecting a lot as it seemed very vague. But I went, and it's actually quite an interesting possibility, if it pans out. I've always believed that what is for you, will never pass you by. BUT, I also believe that you have a hand in your own path too, if you want to reach out and take the chances, before they pass you by. Nothing worse, than regretting later, something you didn't do, IMHO. We'll see, it seemed like a good initial beginning, and I have been honest about Lynda, and my charity sea swim commitments, and they're not ready to recruit yet, and it just felt quite positive, as the inital person is planning to get me back to meet other Directors in about 10 days :yes: But, that's by the bye.

My Father did laugh though, about what the Director asked me today:

"Are you married?" No

"Partner?" No.

Dad: "Ahh, well, at least he asked all the appropriate questions". I just fell about laughing :-)

I HATE that I have to go away tomorrow. Lynda had a routine visit to Hospie today, and went in, and she has to have an emergency operation TOMORROW :td: I leave in the morning, and I can't be there!! I am attending a 70th birthday party 4 miles' drive away, and it's also a charity fundraiser on the side. ARGHHHH!!!! :cry:

BUT, a lovely semi rainbow on my soul happened tonight, as my difficult Mother said as Lynda was leaving, "If you need anything, when Sarah is away, call me. I'll help, if I can." BLIMEY, that's a first!! :unsure2: I'm sensing a little thaw :blush: xx

Edited by sarah snow

If you wear wigs, can you please advise me, about the skull cap thing, and keeping it in place? I have absolutely no knowledge of this, so anything you can help with, will he so much appreciated, sorry I forgot to ask this before. It's an unknown for me! :tu:

Some folk who may have just seen you in the past but not spoken may find an excuse to chat - you could spread alot of fun (although I think you do that anyway, what an amazing friend you are and an amazing couple of mates you girls are too - it's brilliant).

WOW- with all this head spin stuff the last 2 days, I forgot!!

We had just come out from the Car Park/Sales Pitch stuff and were sitting for another bunch of mullarkey, sitting the waiting seats in the chemo unit reception.

A lovely paramedic brought a wheelchair for an elderly lady, and was so sweet with her....she didn't want to sit (we both chuckled, as we understand that, we're both stubborn and independent too :blush: )

He turned round, and Flower just called out "Hey, Lee, how ya doin' me old fruit?!!"

She's kept in touch sporadically, but I hadn't seen him since forever!

We used to work with Lee in the 1980s, and now he's a Paramedic! Flower was the Chef, I tended Bar and Lee used to rumble the potatoes, and make them into chips and drive the van to deliver them round the other pubs. I'd not seen him since 1990, when he was about 16 years old. Right there in the Chemo Unit, it was HUGE HUGS!!! :clap: I was a bit p***ed off, as by that point, I had run out of chocolate!

Flower has left at teatime, with a HUGE box of bottles of bottled water, for her Hospie tomorrow. She can't stand the tap water there, tastes vile to her. Her son Steve (top bloke- how on EARTH is he now 29????? In my head, he is 8 years old!!!!) is taking her, but I know I will worry all day.

I also lost one of my 9 lives today. Some twonk as I was driving on my lane of the road overtook a lorry, and if it hadn't been my driving always like a nancy (to below speed limit, always do), and a seriously switched-on driver behind who pulled back to let me get out of the way- I would have had a nasty smash, she was speeding too, about 50 mph. She missed me by about a yard. Close call. Flower said "I hope you honked your bloody horn!!!!!!" Me: I'm just bloody grateful to be alive. I did think about turning round and following the Bint though, but I proboably would have punched her lights out. On this occasion, I suspect that "Flower's Rule" would not have applied, and I should have knocked her lights out, for endangering my life, Truck chap's life (he could not do ANYTHING!!! She was overtaking in the oncoming lane!) and the lovely person who reacted so perfectly, and let me do an emergency swerve. :ph34r: Karma will get her one day, I was just grateful to escape a totally unnecessary accident. PHEW!!!

My only thoughts, as I saw the stupid woman hurtling towards me was: "This is going to be a SERIOUS skittle" and second though, nanosecond: "I need to stay alive, as Flower needs me!" Mirror: behind is on the case, I have a gap.....THANK YOU!!! xxx That person, who saw it and pulled right back today, seeing it all happen, probably saved my life or certaily saved me from definite injury. That would have been a nasty smash. I hope they know how grateful I feel xxxx

It wasn't my day to go, hey? I have things to do xxx

Edited by sarah snow

And what is Flower stressing about? She's p***ed off about her operation, because I'd checked out flights for her to see her Dad up North, who's in Hospie for bone cancer tomorrow, and it is VERY important for Flower, for them to see her, for their reassurance, that she is OK :yes:

Now the operation tomorrow means she will have a drain in her boob and is a lot incapacitated for a while. She's told it straight today to the Doc. She's insisted on the anaesthetic that means you are not asleep, as opposed to the other one makes her feel sick where they put you under 100%, and she's just said "It doesn't hurt anyway, just cut that bit off, and let's get this crap over and done with!".

Her Dad's also fighting cancer, and she just cares about going and seeing him Up North. I'd checked out all the flights, and this new operation has scuppered it, and it's all totally............

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!! *wanting to kick something inanimate!!*

Edited by sarah snow

LOL, I've had some GREAT suggestions for wigs!! Thank you!!

Lynda brought her granddaughter to the pub yesterday, as Littl'un wanted to see where I lived, bless her. She's done amazing things in her own garden, including bought a trampolene for her grandkids in the last week. I suspect, she may be thinking, it's a great distraction, for when she may feel a bit poorly in the future months. Lynda is totally hands on, with them :-*

She plans everything, lovely chick that she is

Isn't it funny, that in spite of all our shared love and diverse tastes in music, there are only 2 songs that I want to hear, over this weekend, when i can not be there to support Bird. We are not defined by music, but it makes us richer, in a way, when it's shared :yes:

Flower knows, this reminds me of our first meeting. She met me, in silhouette, with a meat cleaver in her hand.....that was scary, until she shouted down the stairs "Are you coming up, me old fruit, or what??!!"

It's a shame, you can't get their old official video anymore (The Lotus Eaters) because we went from a small rural village meeting, to travel to tropical places together after that. That video made me larf, and it had a beatiful beach hut and a very self-absorbed girl. Not unlike my young self at the time LOL. But this song reminds me of meeting someone very special, and special friendships, and dreams come true xx

First Picture Of You

Flower was laughing today, as I can't work this pigging mobile phone!! I have not had one for years, I HATE the bloody thing already!! LOL :td:

Second one, is from her Vangelis Album.

I'll Find My Way Home:

[media=]

I can't sleep, but must try, as I have commitments tomorrow, and a long drive.

Flower's left tonight with a heap of bottled water (she HATES that Hospie H20) and I sneaked a packet of Rolos in there, which she'll find in the a.m. as after that she's nil by mouth xxx

I've got a good incentive to go (I wanted to not travel tomorrow) and it's a dilemma. Thay would all understand 100 percent, if I stayed here. But she's laid the rules down. LOL, you can't fight Bird, when you have other commitments. That would actually result in a World Record: of this, I have no doubt, if I stayed and fussed, and let other commitments slide....this would be:

'Furthest You Can Kick A Mate Who Needs To Be Elsewhere Across Several Counties (With Bird's Hoof, Up My.. :whistle: )

Edited by sarah snow

When I get to Hampshire tomorrow, my friend Brian may have my wig! He's ordered 'my sensible one' (nice shoulder length copper number).

Once Flower starts to lose her hair, Brian is going to the biz, for me. We planned for this weekend, but Bird's booby has put a spanner in the works in my plan head shave co-ordination :blush:

If you wear wigs, can you please advise me, about the skull cap thing, and keeping it in place? I have absolutely no knowledge of this, so anything you can help with, will he so much appreciated, sorry I forgot to ask this before. It's an unknown for me! :tu:

Actually, the last time I wore a full wig I was 19 - that was, well, some years ago :w00t: . I have worn hair extensions since then from time to time, not the same thing. The occasion back then was a night out with the girls, we gathered at a hairdressing salon owned by one of my friends and after a wine or two the outrageous (and I do mean outrageous - twas the 80's :whistle:) wigs looked pretty fun, so we tried them on with her help getting our hair pinned and next thing you know, it was "let's just leave them on :tsu: for the night" and off we went. It attracted alot of attention and laughs as we went to a club alot of people we knew hung out at, a good night all round and memorable. So I think you should make the most of the opportunity, the supplier will set you straight on wearing it correctly and you could possibly rent some wigs (they clean them of course) while you are making your minds up on your faves.

Thanks for that great advice again, libstaK :tsu:

I've had the time away, and my wig arrived and is rather funky :yes: I'll contact about the other things, and they sent a good quality skull cap thingy too.

We've finally got a start date as Flower's new stitches from the recent op. are healing nicely now, and we went to have her drain out today at Hospie. No problems there, she heals quickly, bless her :yes:

This evening I've has Flower glued to my ear via telephone, as the next mission is finding flights for her to travel up North to visit her Family before chemo starts. We've got to book a further away airport as due to Bank Holiday approach the ones originally I had my eye on have rocketed in price. But it's okey dokey. Just means I'll be doing an airport run in the very early hours to get her & her granddaughter to the airport to catch a 0630 flight. Not a problem, as I'll crash at hers and she'll just give me a poke when chauffeuse service needs to leave :yes:

Her granddaughter has never flown before, so she's REALLY excited about going on a 'plane for the first time. How cool is that? xx :clap:

My pal's taken a piccie of me in my wig this weekend, I'll post it here when I get it :w00t: xxx

Feel free to use it as a cheeky caption competition LOL xxx

Edited by sarah snow
  • Like 1

I think I've done the loading photo thing (always was a techno bimbo, so apologies if this does not work!)

Me in sensible wig, taken this weekend. I'm a bit glowing after a sunny sea swim LOL.

Hope it works!

post-78812-0-16276500-1345154495_thumb.j

• Like 2

I know I am making a laugh of things, and being a bit brave, but I am actually really scared.

Flower is so 'matter of fact' and she brought up today to clarify, about her having a tube thing (directly by her heart apparently), and wanting to just "get it done".......I was like a rabbit in the headlights. I won't let her see how much I'm scared for her xx

Anyway, enough of this being scared. Not an option xxxx *just don't tell Bird* xxx

We had a laugh today, about how I'd booked tickets for Bryan Adams as a surprise for her, back in the 90s. Then I got a 'dream job' and couldn't go, gutted LOL. I had to call her and say:

Sarah: What are you doing on this date?

Flower; oo, where we going????!!!!

Sarah: You have 2 ticket to Bryan Adams, and I'll be probably flying over your head when you're there LOL. GUTTED!! LOL xxxx

I was so glad, she went. She didn't want to, but it would have been a waste of tickets xx

I love Big Country.

This steels me, always. I just wish Stuart Adamson knew, how much he was loved xx

[media=]

[/media]

In the rain today at Hospie, Flower didn't catch a breath, just said August is over, and we have to "bash on with it! xxxxx

Edited by sarah snow
  • Like 1

I was surprised today, when we saw Flower's Breast Nurse. I'd joked, that she likes us, and didn't want us to go to next level where she won't see us anymore. LOL, she wants us to come and see her, bless her socks. She kept Flower waiting half an hour today. She knows our humour and came out and made a joke that we had kept her waiting.....and waiting......and waiting.......- and I just said wqhen she arrived and accused us jokingly of keeping her waiting..... "Hey, Karen, we were just gonna call out for a pizza- what's yer fancy?" xx She's cool xx

As you all know, I fuss about the Flower xxx LOL. BUT, when I came back from a weekend away, how glad was I that I am a fuss-pot. That operation on Friday- she was left (on local anaesth whatsit) without a drink from 10am until 5pm!! How is that possible??!!!! Nobody offered that lass a cup of water, cup of tea, juice, NOTHING. And she wasn't Nil By Mouth. Just in for local. She collared her Doc in the corridor and he COULD NOT believe, she's been left waiting all that time, and not been discharged.

Apparently, she was The Patient That Does Not Not Exist. No kidding!! When I was away, Flower could not be found on records. That's not right.

Fortunately, I'd faced Flower's no fuss rule, and chose to ignore it LOL, insisting she had water bottles in abudance etc, She took 3 bottles in that I insisted on, and drunk the lot, thank goodness, xxxx Otherwise, she would have had no fluids in all those hours, and was forgotten. Scary!

I'm not leaving her again xxx

Edited by sarah snow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Be cool Sarah . She will be fine . You're awesome .

Thank hunny, the treatment starts this week and we're ready to commence battle xxx :-) xxxx

• Like 2