Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if Apollo 11 had been stranded ? [merged]

Saru

Apollo 11 crew would have surely died. end of thread

Let's be accurate:

If Eagle was stranded on the Moon, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin would've perished.

Mike Collins would've had the impossibly difficult task of returning to Earth alone, without his comerades, leaving their bodies on the lunar surface.

I think that is a tad unfair MID, after all the shuttle had 24 successful launches before undergoing a catastrophic launch accident.

Yes, Waspie. I recall.

But that was an in flight incident...

I was getting more to theposter's idea of an explosion on the launch pad. Maybe I'm being too picky.

The important difference, of course, is that Apollo had a launch escape system which could pull the crew to safety in the event of an accident on the pad or in the first few minutes of flight.

Indeed, and that worked automatically (in a small fraction of a second upon detecting a catastrophic potential) or manually.

I am more or less trying to get into the logic which was behind the statemenrt about the fatal launch pad explosion potential...

Edited by MID

I think that is a tad unfair MID, after all the shuttle had 24 successful launches before undergoing a catastrophic launch accident.

The important difference, of course, is that Apollo had a launch escape system which could pull the crew to safety in the event of an accident on the pad or in the first few minutes of flight.

My point exactly Waspie. Challenger and Columbia unfortunately happened and Apollo 13 didn't make it to the moon but fortunately the crew returned safely.

My point exactly Waspie. Challenger and Columbia unfortunately happened and Apollo 13 didn't make it to the moon but fortunately the crew returned safely.

What was your point?

*SNIP*

My point exactly Waspie. Challenger and

Columbia unfortunatelyppened and Apollo 13 didn't make it to the moon but fortunately the crew returned safely.

What exactly was your point there?

I know there probably won't be an answer, but try not to blow wind, OK?

Edited by Lilly
removed quoted comment
  • Like 1

Yes, Waspie. I recall.

But that was an in flight incident...

I was getting more to theposter's idea of an explosion on the launch pad. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Indeed, and that worked automatically (in a small fraction of a second upon detecting a catastrophic potential) or manually.

I am more or less trying to get into the logic which was behind the statemenrt about the fatal launch pad explosion potential...

There is a precedent, although to a Soviet manned flight, not to one from the US. The Soyuz T10-1 accident in 1983, involved a fire and explosion, with the launch escape system blasting the crew with only 2 seconds to spare.

There is a precedent, although to a Soviet manned flight, not to one from the US. The Soyuz T10-1 accident in 1983, involved a fire and explosion, with the launch escape system blasting the crew with only 2 seconds to spare.

Thanks for that. I didn't remember that one!

:tsu:

I think we have a resolution to this thread, don't we?

If the Apollo 11 crew were stranded on the surface of the Moon.

...They'd have perished there 43 years ago.

Mike Collins would be known as the one who came back, and Tranquility Base would be an honored site, a crypt, containing the bodies of two American heroes.

And the manned space program may have never been the same again.

Fortunately, we don't have to contemplate such a thing.

I think we have a resolution to this thread, don't we?

If the Apollo 11 crew were stranded on the surface of the Moon.

...They'd have perished there 43 years ago.

That is true.

I have no doubt that NASA would have resolved whatever caused the accident. There would almost certainly have been at least on more test flight of the LM and then another landing attempt made. The USA would have still been the first to the moon albeit missing JFKs target of the end of the decade.

But then Like Mid said ,We move on ! We Did Land and return, We Will Move on! :tu:

That is true.

I have no doubt that NASA would have resolved whatever caused the accident. There would almost certainly have been at least on more test flight of the LM and then another landing attempt made. The USA would have still been the first to the moon albeit missing JFKs target of the end of the decade.

Well, as far as returning them safely to the Earth as concerned...It would've been, no joy!

I can tell you it would've been hell for some time, figuring out how simple vales didn't allow hypergolics rto mix and simply ignite as they were designed to do..upon contact.

LM APS was nearly as fool-proof a system as existed. No one ever thought that it wouldn't work!

Edited by MID

I love it when you use those hypergolics wham,Bam, Words Mid ! We could use some of those in Texas !

I have a little job down the road ,It rhymes wit Chick-Fil-a ! Kaboom ! :tu:

justDONTEATUS

• 4 weeks later...

I think it has become a rather non-topic now folks.

It didn't happen. It wasn't likely, and now, one of the men who landed on the Moon in the Summer of '69 is gone.

It seems there's nothing to discuss, doesn't it?

:tu:

But then Like Mid said ,We move on ! We Did Land and return, We Will Move on! :tu:

:tsu: :tsu: :tsu: :tsu: