Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep paralysis and astral projection

upsidedownworld

Hello I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if sleep paralysis can lead to astral projection or out of body experiences?

I have experienced sleep paralysis on numerous occasions however it seemed to happen more frequently when I was younger and now I only experience it occasionally.

I am not fully sure if I would class the sleep paralysis I have experienced as ISP or RISP but certainly I do not suffer from it with the same regularity as I did when I was younger although I must hasten to add that I have never suffered from it chronically.

I have read that there is a link between RISP sleep paralysis and out of body experiences and that RISP sleep paralysis is associcated with much higher occurences of out of body experiences.

I have never had a genuine out of body experience and the sleep paralysis I have experienced has entirely consisted of feeling a force pressing down on me restricting all movement when I have been laying in the supine position. In the past when this has occured I have at least once experienced a slight but disturbing hypnopompic auditory and visual hallucination which I can only describe as feeling there is a presence of an intruder near me which I know is a common symptom of sleep paraylsis. However the feeling of a presence being near me does not always occur and I have experienced sleep paralysis many times where the overriding impression is just of a weight or heaviness bearing down upon me sometimes accompanied by a tingling feeling and it takes a concerted effort for me to wake up from the experience.

What I would like to know is what would happen if I didn't make a concerted effort to wake up whenever I am in sleep paralysis and allowed it to continue? Would I be able to achieve astral projection or an out of body experience?

I always feel uneasy when I go into sleep paralysis because of a slight auditory hallucination I once experienced while in it and this is why whenever I am in sleep paralysis or feel it beginning to happen I forcefully wake myself up. Would it be safe when I go into sleep paralysis for me to allow it to continue and what might I experience in a prolonged state of sleep paralysis and is this one way of achieveing astral projection which is something I have always wanted to do?

I hope I've explainned it well enough and that maybe people here can offer advice?

Thanks.

Edited by cultish
  • Like 1

Hi , I'll pm you my cheesy video I made about this and how to achieve it from that state. The OOB state is just a bit further down the latter. I think you have the right attitude to be successful. I made the video on my phone one night so I would not have to keep rewriting everything.

You might also want to visit the astral pinned thread.

• Like 1

You explained it far better than I did when I first came to this site! lol ^^ Seeker's the man for this question :)

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply Seeker79 and I enjoyed watching your video which contained some useful information that I will try to use next time I experience sleep paralysis. Interesting how your video mentions that the supposed presence should be confronted immediately if you see it when leaving your body but what happens if your to shocked to do this I wonder?

Your video claims that the presence is neither a ghost or alien visitation so what exactly is it? Could the presence be an emanation of our own fear or is it something that is not a product of the mind?

I suppose it depends on your viewpoint on astral projection and whether or not you think it is an example of lucid dreaming or an actual literal experience.

Also interesting how some scientists have proposed the sleep paralysis condition as an explanation for alien abductions and ghost encounters.

I have briefly looked on the pinned astral thread but must study it further.

I've always wanted to experience the phenomenon called astral projection and I have read about techniques on how to do it including the rope method. I have tried this method but to no avail and I haven't had the patience to keep on trying and practice at it. The times when I have had my eyes closed while trying to astrally project I always find that my heart starts to beat faster and this makes me loose concentration and so I give up.

Edited by cultish

You very well may be shocked. This is why I said you have the right attitude. If i sensed you were highly emotional my advice would change a little bit. Just knowing you are not in danger will start to change your responses. This is why AP is a good practice for you. It will help you identify altered states of conciousness and manage yourself better.

It might take a few times until your lucidity comes around, but you are in the right direction for taking control. learn to have a calm observers perspective with everything.

Yes I believe it's a fear manifestations with a little more complexity to it. I won't go into all that, but it dosnt matter. Once you start to take responsibility for yourself everything begins to change.

Keep us informed on how you do.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

Once again thank you for the advice Seeker79 and I hope I will be able to achieve astral projection eventually and I realise that the process takes some degree of patience and practice.

Edited by cultish

• 6 months later...

I just had this happened where I woke up from a dream..took a drink of water..and was still awake when i thought my whole bed was shaking and my body vibrating and this rediculous ringing like "wah wah wah wah" i was somewhat stuck for 10 sec which felt like eternity but since i felt i was definitly awake and thought the bed was shaking I managed to run out of bed and got on the internet to find this site cuz i was freaked out bad. hope i can get back to bed. thanks for the reassurement.

I just had this happened where I woke up from a dream..took a drink of water..and was still awake when i thought my whole bed was shaking and my body vibrating and this rediculous ringing like "wah wah wah wah" i was somewhat stuck for 10 sec which felt like eternity but since i felt i was definitly awake and thought the bed was shaking I managed to run out of bed and got on the internet to find this site cuz i was freaked out bad. hope i can get back to bed. thanks for the reassurement.

yes all very common. take care.

Next time that happens don't freak out. I have felt the same experiences as you including the bed shaking along with my Body. When you feel the Vibration Stage next time try and control it by entering into a Meditative state. Don't move your arms or your legs. Try and move your Energy Arm/leg. Its a Trippe experience. The sensations are so real that it feels like your moving your Real Arm but really your moving your Energy Arm.

• Like 1