Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted objects

Saru

I was recently asked for my views on haunted objects as part of a social media campaign for a new Lionsgate film called "The Possession" which is a take on the real story of the Dibbuk Box case. ( http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dibbuk_box ) In particular i've been asked the following questions on the topic of haunted items:

• Where to store it?
  • How to get rid of it?
  • Should you handle it?
  • What sort of things can happen around haunted items?

I'm not sure i believe that it's possible for an inanimate object to be 'haunted' and a lot of the supposedly haunted items we've seen over the years seem to be either for sale on eBay or being promoted with the intention of putting them up for sale on eBay; it's all too easy to claim an item is haunted and then try to con people in to buying it.

So the question for this topic is - do you believe it is possible for an item to be genuinely 'haunted' ?

Apparently, according to the grey bearded guy on that show Haunted Collector, all you need is a glass case and some sea salt to store the item on and your good to go. LOL Who knew ghosts hated such a thing. So much for ghosts that haunt ships and any castles near the coast.... The ghost of Chef Boyardi would be p***ed! LOL

To the question, I believe and item has energy. All things have their own energy. even a rock - whether its magnetic or other. If the theories behind EVP's and their capture are true - and I believe they are, I believe that ghost/spirit energy can be stored and played back through said mediums. I guess that's called a residual effect.

It is known that granite has magnetic properties. And granite is a prominent rock in the earths bedrock. Some theorize that in places like Ghettysburg (high granite content) where battles were fought and tons of people died, that the granite "records" the sounds and energy from those fantastic events. And the thought why people claim to hear cannon fire, screams and fighting when they visit those kinds of places. Much like a analog tape recorder playing back sounds....the events energy and sounds (vibrations) were somehow stored in the rocks and now and again, those energies are released and played back....residual. plausible???

Edited by Sheetz

I do not believe an object can be genuinely haunted, but I do believe that it can make for some very entertaining fiction. :tu:

I do not believe an object can be genuinely haunted, but I do believe that it can make for some very entertaining fiction. :tu:

So b this definition would you say its impossible for a house to be haunted? A house is just a larger object.

So b this definition would you say its impossible for a house to be haunted? A house is just a larger object.

No, I wouldn't say that at all.

A house is not "just a larger object." It is a collection of many objects which have been constructed into a dwelling place. As in, a place wherein people live. A house is also affixed to a specific location.

The type of object which is the subject of the OP is not large, is not intended as a place wherein people live, and can be moved around from place to place with relative ease; specifically it was a small wine cabinet.

There is no legitimate comparison between the two, and my comment was regarding other similar objects which are small in size and portable.

But since you raised the question, I don't necessarily believe in haunted houses either; nor do I disbelieve. I've had some hair raising experiences. Were those attributable to just nerves and preconceived expectations because of the setting? Or did I have some kind of actual encounter with someone or something from beyond? Who knows? Either way, I do find the subject entertaining.

Cheers. :)

• Like 2

No, I wouldn't say that at all.

A house is not "just a larger object." It is a collection of many objects which have been constructed into a dwelling place. As in, a place wherein people live. A house is also affixed to a specific location.

The type of object which is the subject of the OP is not large, is not intended as a place wherein people live, and can be moved around from place to place with relative ease; specifically it was a small wine cabinet.

There is no legitimate comparison between the two, and my comment was regarding other similar objects which are small in size and portable.

But since you raised the question, I don't necessarily believe in haunted houses either; nor do I disbelieve. I've had some hair raising experiences. Were those attributable to just nerves and preconceived expectations because of the setting? Or did I have some kind of actual encounter with someone or something from beyond? Who knows? Either way, I do find the subject entertaining.

Cheers. :)

All valid points, and to further the discussion: Would you agree that even portable objects may be tied to a location. For example, a civil war rifle. Tied to a specific location where its owner died using it. Was covered over by earth and later recovered. I think small objects that are claimed to have paranormal activity would be just as tied into the location they were used as a house. What about that wine cabinet? Would the wine cabinet be haunted, or if something happened to the 150 year old bottle of wine that resided in it (say it exploded or gave off EMFs or something - I know stretching a bit) would it be the wine cabinet or the bottle of wine that was "haunted"...after all the cabinet is in essence the housing of the bottle contained within. It's all relative. A house is a collection of rooms like you say in a location, that may have energy or paranormal associated with it. Again relative. If one could shrink themselves (and of course we cannot know what happens with time, space, size, dimensions) and become small enough to fit into an antique pocket watch, you would find that the gears, jewels, working all are in their own respective "rooms" within the watch. The watch may be tied to a particular place or event or owner who poured his life and "soul" into its creation and inner workings...so relatively speaking, a pocket watch or a house are still just compartmentalized objects no? Size is all relative. Dimensional beings, in my mind, would not care for relationships between sizes.

Edited by Sheetz

I'm not sure if my experiences involve hauntings or not. The first item was a necklace I saw in a shop window. Every time I passed the shop I wanted that necklace more; all the stones in it were black. Then I bought it, put it on and immediately took it off. I felt almost afraid of it and never wore it again.I didn't keep it for very long and because of the feelings it provoked in me, I didn't pass it on but rather threw it away. The second experience was similar in that the item was attractive to me when I could see it at a distance, but once it was mine I couldn't wait to get rid of it. The second item was a small picture frame with some Chinese coins stuck on it, that I bought on ebay. Once it arrived and I opened the package I immediately felt fear emanating from it ....... I didn't hang about, it went straight in the bin!

• Like 1

The concept of haunted items go with the classic urban myths like the The clock or music box that the new owner is so addicted to that object (like people and texting).

The fad happen a few years ago, about 2006 -2007 where this person placed a walking cane and it went like this.

HELP MY WALKING STICK IS HAUNTED!!!!!!!

My grandfather had died and my kids keep crying. It makes lots of noise at night and i can't get rid of it HELP!!!!!

It sold for 52 thousand dollars. Over night, thousands of items were listed as haunted. What happened was Ebay will remove ANY haunted item (unless the sellers say that haunting not guaranteed or for fun) because of the high complaints by the owners for not getting paranormal experiance from the cheap peice of junk they empty their pockets into.

Then the interest in "haunted objects" slowly faded until about "Haunted Objects" show started.

It's a mild trend and honestly I emailed a few of the winners from ebay and asked them if they experienced a haunting. 12 said no, 1 gave a wall of text about his mother.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1

I should go into detail more on ebay items or even people talking about it on here.

Common items that are claimed to be haunted are.

-Dolls

Dolls have a creepy effect, some express still life of a child, others say the creepy face or the way the eyes follow you around the room. People know about the popular doll movies (Chucky from Childs Play, the living toys from the puppet master and the doll from saw). The way they stare at you can make any one paranoid and think "it's watching and plotting when to kill me" or my favourite line "Can't sleep, Clown will eat me". Stories of the dolls stealing, attacking, Moving around the house or room.

-Walking Canes

This went back to my post earlier about the whole haunted fad on ebay where some one creatively made a very vague story with every thing written in captials with a ton of explanation marks and 1's. The only thing i am worried about walking canes is when some elderly hit me with them.

-Coins

This is beyond me, I have seen a few people talk about haunted money but why would they attach to money? greed? Bordem? Bacon?

-Jewelry

Female Jewelry seem to be more common to be classed haunted than coins. There have been stories of where a person wears the necklace they get possessed or their personality gets altered or they are hit with bad luck. Others where people claimed they were used by evil worshipers and the object flys around or causes bad luck to the house hold.

-Paintings.

Paintings are almost classed with the same thought process as Dolls. The painting staring out and causing the viewer to get paranoid thoughts. Paintings have a various stories, Portal to another reality, A soul or living trapped inside of it, Painting it self would change slightly with lights or objects or people doing different things etc then change back. People who tell these stories are normally are lying since If it was me or other skeptics out there would get a camcorder and record it or show the world.

-Music Boxes/Clocks

A classic urban story of person getting box, plays box, gets fanatic about playing it over and over. Losing interest with the world, relationship, job etc and slowly only care about playing it over and over and over. The other urban is them being told or dreamt that they have to play the song over and over or they will die.

When I joined this forum in 2008, we had a kid who posted, who claimed his friend had a box and with me being polite asking him to take a picture, record the sound, do a video or do the next best thing have the entire family sit down with his friend and talk to him or send him to a quack or as I would do, take it from him. The kid kept looping "he won't do it" or "I don't want to".

The concept is materialism or greed.

-Wardrobes

Some of you reading this may laugh, some may agree, others may just roll their eyes. Wardrobes are a common theme there kids have a fear of. Stories go, The wardrobe is alive and wants to eat you or watching with it's paint or carvings. The wardrobe has a demon or ghost that makes noises or opens, a portal to another reality or to the ghost world.

-Misc Furniture

Small objects like candle sticks to clocks. We had a guy last year (that sakari busted wide open) that the owner claimed his friend or relative has a candle stick that would spin that they were trying to sell. The owner went further by trying to make a video with the candle stick on the end of a table but only got dragged. When sakari stepped in the kid confessed and topic was closed. Stories with furniture are moving around the house. Moving on it's free will. Hurting people, Vanishing and then returning back at it's spot.

-Themes in story

1. They bought it at a garage sale.

2. They got it from a dead relative.

3. They can't get rid of it. As in, when they throw it away, it would come back.

4. Paranormal events happen, flying around, vanishing then reappearing etc.

5. Refuse to document or video tape it or submit it to be examined.

6. They trying to get people to buy it.

Edited by Brian Topp

It Depends what you mean by haunted .

If you have to put it in a glass case,and salt it,then it has an entity attached to it .

Things with more obnoxious entities,need more than salting ,by the by .

In voodoo ,they are kept in repose by drawing veves on the walls floor and doorway,of the room they reside in,as well .

And i mean,what do we imply if we have to do this ? Does owning this thing cause people to die ? Like the Hope Diamond .

That means its cursed,not haunted. There's a difference.

Then things with energies attached,that make us ill. That's negative energy,but is it haunted ?

Fine line about all of these issues ,as they are not all the same.

I have a few items of "high magic" ,and they came with things attached to them for sure.

Some can be used to enhance magickal rituals .Some of the weird occurances in my house can be attributed to this stuff being in here,but do they float around and scare my cats .Well no . One of them was alleged to be able to float. He does other tricks,but no,he hasn't reinacted any scenes from The House On Haunted Hill .....yet .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

The concept of haunted items go with the classic urban myths like the The clock or music box that the new owner is so addicted to that object (like people and texting).

The fad happen a few years ago, about 2006 -2007 where this person placed a walking cane and it went like this.

It sold for 52 thousand dollars. Over night, thousands of items were listed as haunted. What happened was Ebay will remove ANY haunted item (unless the sellers say that haunting not guaranteed or for fun) because of the high complaints by the owners for not getting paranormal experiance from the cheap peice of junk they empty their pockets into.

Then the interest in "haunted objects" slowly faded until about "Haunted Objects" show started.

It's a mild trend and honestly I emailed a few of the winners from ebay and asked them if they experienced a haunting. 12 said no, 1 gave a wall of text about his mother.

I am haunted now and again by how much I've paid for something I wanted on eBay and then see the same thing for half price later....does that count?! LOL ;)

• Like 1

My dad has told me for awhile he had a possed car. It never wanted to start, always tried to kill him, backfired all the time trying to kill him with smoke from the exhaust, it always had a loud banging sound, an a few other noises and problems.

Oh, and when he bought they car, inscribed on the back was "Chevy".

:D

Jokes aside, I actually think a car I'm restoring is slightly possessed... I'll explain when my iPod has more battery life

Edited by Wildchild41

i don't believe an item can be haunted, although it's possible (in my opinion) that a sort of 'residue' or 'memory imprin't can be left in places and on things.

I am haunted now and again by how much I've paid for something I wanted on eBay and then see the same thing for half price later....does that count?! LOL ;)

Well I could explain where some of my stuff has come from,but you wouldn't get it .

For instance,do any of you know who the chicken man is ?

See. My items ,usually belonged to someone who was a master magician ,and has passed. Witches and voodoo people of olde.

I actually know a guy in Japan,who owns Aleister Crowleys books of shadows.

He owned a witch craft shoppe in Osaka for some years.His high altar was in the back room .He insisted I check it out .

Showed me the book,and a few other item.

The energy on this stuff was so heady,it felt like it had layered over my body like a coating of molasses.

It totally creeped me out,as i am not a fan of crowley .

I was walking around Osaka,shaking my hands down ,like trying to shake the molasses off,for near an hour after I left him.

Only a couple of my pieces are even remotely like that,but their energy doesn't bother me .

There is one seller on eBay though,who claims to be totally Legit,with letter of authenticity etc,and i know a few people they've ripped off,and they're still flourishing. If you report them etc,they resort to actual intimidation .

Supposidly a bunch of books about all of their metaphysical adventures were coming out.That was ...7 years ago .

I'd say yes: if hauntings happen, objects could be haunted. If hauntings happen I'd say anything physical could provide a base for one.

Also psychometry is kind of similar, and it implies energy could hang on to objects which is essentially what a ghost is, right?

From a ghosts exist point of view.. Yes, haunted objects exist. There's tons of stories out there about ghosts popping up when their remains are disturbed or sticking around till their remains are properly buried. Bad luck or weird stuff happening after taking something home from a haunted place, cursed gems, haunt stories following objects like bits from the Titanic or something dug up from a war field.

From a personal point of view, I'm not sure. I've known some people personally that have claimed weird or haunted object stories. Some of them, yeah, I doubt it. Some of them I'm not too sure if I should doubt their word.

From a ghosts don't exist point of view. No, no haunted objects. But I believe that objects can sometimes store or hold energy, and that might cause the appearance of haunting.

Just making this the record With the movie coming out THE POSSESSION, we will be creating threads saying they or friends have a music box or a haunted item.

This is going to be just like Paranormal, Twilight and Harry Potter all over again!