Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New flu virus found in seals

Karlis

New flu virus found in seals concerns scientists

Scientists in the United States have identified a new strain of influenza in harbour seals that could potentially impact human and animal health. The virus may have evolved from a type that had been circulating in birds. The virus also has the ability to target a protein found in the human respiratory tract.

Read more

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mule

• BiffSplitkins

• FurthurBB

• Coffey

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my,its like the kind circulating in birds,that has never had a bird to human transmission .

Oh no ,where is the new vaccine ! *flails*

Let me guess,its just three steps away from being transmittable to humans ...

Know what's bad about all of this,if there ever is a real pandemic,none of us will believe these fools.

I followed the seals dying last year very closely .

No one EVER mentioned flu ....not in months of all the rescue effort .I even donated money so ....now its the flu ?

Fat chance.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

just dont get close enough for them to sneeze on you....or trade other bodily fluids...

This thread reminded of THIS joke. LOL

Edited by BiffSplitkins

I just read this msyelf on BBC news. Was going to post it as well.

New flu virus found in seals concerns scientists

Scientists in the United States have identified a new strain of influenza in harbour seals that could potentially impact human and animal health. The virus may have evolved from a type that had been circulating in birds. The virus also has the ability to target a protein found in the human respiratory tract.

Read more

It makes me wonder how many more mammals other than pigs and seals can be a mixing ground for influenza strains. Good story, thanks for posting it.

We generally don't have close contact with seals like we do pigs so it would be much harder to make the jump. Unless it happens in a zoo.

Let me guess, they want to start screwing around with the new strain again, right? Lets not publish a paper this time detailing the changes needed to kill us all again, if possible?

Edited by Spid3rCyd3