Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hijab controversy simmers at Olympics

Karlis

Hijab controversy simmers at Olympics

Unlike the Olympics with its gold, silver and bronze, life sometimes dishes up events in which nobody feels like a winner.

Read more

What are your thoughts about cultural aspects in the Olympic Games?

I don't see this is a problem, in the end they are here to be at the games.

In judo, the rules allow for opponents to tug & pull on each others clothing. What happens if her opponent pulls her hijab over her face & then lands her on her a**?

I'm gonna watch, it could just turn out to be the funniest moment in olympic history.

Just a farce she did fight but shouldn't have been aloud to on the grounds of not being competent she only holds a blue belt and was beaten in 82 seconds.

Just a farce she did fight but shouldn't have been aloud to on the grounds of not being competent she only holds a blue belt and was beaten in 82 seconds.

In that case it makes you wonder if this wasn't just pure tokenism.

• Like 1

Or it might actually be a sort of internal Saudi propaganda "look, women aren't meant to play sport, look at this poor girl - trounced at every turn".

Hetro and isno. In Bosnia we have a say: for a small di#k even the pubic hair is in the way.

This is ment for people who seem to never be satisfied for ignorant reasons.

The girl did not wear a full hijab, it does not interween with the judo rules. She did not qualifie but was invited by the OC which is unlike you two quties above hate and ignorance. Most important it opens up the way for other women from stricked ruled islamic countries. One has to start somehow.

Even you english ladies had to suck up for centuries before they were finaly libarated from male oppression.

• Like 1

Or it might actually be a sort of internal Saudi propaganda "look, women aren't meant to play sport, look at this poor girl - trounced at every turn".

Not sure they can say that exactly - given it was another woman who trounced her. Maybe they could say "their" women are not meant to play sport, which would be ridiculous and sad all at once.

• Like 1

It would be against the rules to tug her hijab, just like it’s against the rules to tug the opponent by the hair, nose, ears or their long, lashing tongue that cannot utter words “fair play” anymore.

Hetro and isno. In Bosnia we have a say: for a small di#k even the pubic hair is in the way.

This is ment for people who seem to never be satisfied for ignorant reasons.

The girl did not wear a full hijab, it does not interween with the judo rules. She did not qualifie but was invited by the OC which is unlike you two quties above hate and ignorance. Most important it opens up the way for other women from stricked ruled islamic countries. One has to start somehow.

Even you english ladies had to suck up for centuries before they were finaly libarated from male oppression.

Nonsense "is it cus i black" post, having her fight the best people in the world was humiliating for all concerned, the best course of action would be to have her train with other women.

If this type of amateurism is now encouraged at the olympics again perhaps we can look forward to a comeback by Eddie the Eagle.

• Like 1

Nonsense "is it cus i black" post, having her fight the best people in the world was humiliating for all concerned, the best course of action would be to have her train with other women.

Can I cut in a little, if you don't mind?

No, it’s not “cus i black” post, it’s “cus you are armchair generals, or to be more precise, you’re armchair doctors of judo science” post.

First you train judo, obtain blue belt, win a match at Olympics, then you can say what’s the best course of action for an amateur striving for more.

Since when it’s humiliating to lose a match? Or to win it if you were better?

What’s wrong in inviting people to participate, though they are not good enough (yet) to win?

Also, if I want to fight someone wearing a scarf on my head or a flower behind my ear that’s my problem. If I want a bucket on my head or oversized crucifix pendant, then it is a problem, because that is a safety risk.

Grow a common sense people.

• Like 2

If this type of amateurism is now encouraged at the olympics again perhaps we can look forward to a comeback by Eddie the Eagle.

Helloooooo, nock nock, anyone home?

Olympics is about participating. Giving a chance to those who otherwise do not have a chance, like the UK womens soccer team against Canada.

name='Helen of Annoy' timestamp='1344081417' post='4399678']

No, it’s not “cus i black” post, it’s “cus you are armchair generals, or to be more precise, you’re armchair doctors of judo science” post.

First you train judo, obtain blue belt, win a match at Olympics, then you can say what’s the best course of action for an amateur striving for more.

What does you're opinion make you? you think you're opinion is more valid than mine?

Since when it’s humiliating to lose a match? Or to win it if you were better?

What’s wrong in inviting people to participate, though they are not good enough (yet) to win?

This is the olympics not a local judo club if just anyone could enter it would be a complete farce.

Also, if I want to fight someone wearing a scarf on my head or a flower behind my ear that’s my problem. If I want a bucket on my head or oversized crucifix pendant, then it is a problem, because that is a safety risk.

As long as it's in the rules i don't care.

Grow a common sense people

if you're not doing anything this afternoon, why not go and have a jog with Hussein bolt.

Olympics is about participating. Giving a chance to those who otherwise do not have a chance, like the UK womens soccer team against Canada.

Canada played well congratulations to them, GB got knocked out just like Brazil, Spain etc, how did your country do?

Well this is the one I was waiting for.

How did my country do? Well since I am a Canadian citizen, well addapt, intergrated, have an excellent job, py my taxes, volunteer on two boards and help out at the local SA every, every Christmas then I would say thanks for asking we just beat the sh+++ out of you.

As for my country of birth, well we did not do so well.

Do you hear your own bias? That is the western attitude speaking. Complaining about immigrants who do not addapt and complaining about those who do. You are a perfect example of an unsatisfied old male maid.

Buddy, people like YOU deserve all the pakistanies at your doorstep.

Here one for you, Oh Canada, my home and native Land... Screw hetro because that is his demand...

You guys are just jelous that people like me can make it anywhere in record time. There are millions of people like me, immigrants, croats, bosnians, serbs, arabs, asians...who addapt, work hard and honest and make a good living all thet within ten years while people like you, who are born in that country walk arround like bums.

It is not the avarrage brit, the educated one, who constantly complains about immigrants, it is the lowlifes looking to blame someone for their lazines.

Come on. Be truthfull. As much as you hate immigrants especialy muslims, you hate more the ones who actually fit in and make it.

Polish friends tell me about how you guys treat them and they are not even muslims but hard working and smart people.

Man I could go on and on but you see the picture, right?

Would like to police the world but keep the world out of you country, eh?

name='Helen of Annoy' timestamp='1344081417' post='4399678']

What does you're opinion make you? you think you're opinion is more valid than mine?

This is the olympics not a local judo club if just anyone could enter it would be a complete farce.

As long as it's in the rules i don't care.

if you're not doing anything this afternoon, why not go and have a jog with Hussein bolt.

There are numerous amateurs who got invited to participate on the Olympics. Many of them from poor countries. This is what Olimpics are about.

*Snip*

Edited by Karlis
Delerted ad hominem remarks

There are numerous amateurs who got invited to participate on the Olympics. Many of them from poor countries. This is what Olimpics are about.

*Snip*

p.s. I see this as a story about whether sporting rules should be altered to accommodate cultural & religious sensitivities & nothing to do with race and besides as we know 'muslim' isn't a race, it's a totalitarian belief system masquerading as a religion.

Edited by Karlis
  • Like 1

*Snip*

p.s. I see this as a story about whether sporting rules should be altered to accommodate cultural & religious sensitivities & nothing to do with race and besides as we know 'muslim' isn't a race, it's a totalitarian belief system masquerading as a religion.

It is self explanatory. *Snip*

And, yes, sporting rules have been alteted already to accomodate religios beliefs, primaraly christian. We already altered the olympics

otherwise we would have naked people running around.

Unbelievable. A nation that gave ys Darwin, Swift, Defoe, Newton..gives us also isno and hetro?

Well, it is true then when they say nobody is perfect.

Cheers.

Edited by Karlis
  • Like 1

*Snip* Olympians from poor countries compete because they're the best they're not being done a favour, don't you think that's an insult to some of the best athletes in the world?

Edited by Karlis

We're all talking a load of hyperbole :yes: but the fact is i don't want to watch a blue belt get beat i want to watch the best who've got there through hard work and dedication.

Edited by Karlis

We're all talking a load of hyperbole :yes: but the fact is i don't want to watch a blue belt get beat i want to watch the best who've got there through hard work and dedication.

All right, I understand that.

The way I see it is that blue belt worked hard too and that her appearance at Olympics is important to all the girls that are still treated as furniture or cattle. She is much needed precedent.

It is politics using sports again, but at least there could be something good coming out of that 80-something seconds of your life lost.

Maybe I’m too pragmatic but sport is only a game, while the freedom to play sports, in public, mind you, is the life.

So in my opinion, Wojdan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani won an immensely more important match.

• Like 2

Anyway, I am happy the OIC gave less fortunate sports a chance to compete no matter what religion or nationality.

It does not matter how good they are now, it will boost their confidance for the future.

Edited by Karlis

Anyway, I am happy the OIC gave less fortunate sports a chance to compete no matter what religion or nationality.

It does not matter how good they are now, it will boost their confidance for the future.

*Snip* ... it would have smashed her confidence, you get you're fighter as many easy fights as possible taking very little steps, putting that girl in the Olympics is the equivalent to putting a 10 year old in the ring with a 15 year old, they'll never want to step into the ring again.

Edited by Karlis

All right, I understand that.

The way I see it is that blue belt worked hard too and that her appearance at Olympics is important to all the girls that are still treated as furniture or cattle. She is much needed precedent.

It is politics using sports again, but at least there could be something good coming out of that 80-something seconds of your life lost.

Maybe I’m too pragmatic but sport is only a game, while the freedom to play sports, in public, mind you, is the life.

So in my opinion, Wojdan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani won an immensely more important match.

It was propaganda pushed through by Saudi princes and officials "right we have a woman in the olympics you can't criticize us anymore" i can't believe you think this as some kind of victory for women, if there had been conditions attached to it ie you send over a team of women athletes to train with ours for a season there might be a reason for celebration.