Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World On Alert For Massive Solar Storm

Still Waters

Meh mankind has survived worst anyway the kids might learn to actually go out side and look each other in the face and talk now thats scary. :st

Meh mankind has survived worst anyway the kids might learn to actually go out side and look each other in the face and talk now thats scary. :st

Makes me wonder why they stay inside to begin with.

I wouldn't care so much if I didn't have an immunodeficiency, as well as lung problems. I guess I am screwed if this happens.

I can't see power being shut down for any more than a week, however.

A mere hurricane knocks out power for many days or weeks. A series of thunderstorms knocked it out in the DC area for more than a week, just a few months ago.

I'm no expert, but it seems a massive solar storm or CME would be far more serious IMO. I would expect months or more.

The massive power gird knock outed in India last week is rumoured caused by a solar flare... dont know.

The massive power gird knock outed in India last week is rumoured caused by a solar flare... dont know.

Doubt it, the Indian power grid did not hold pace with the development of the country. Happens when politicians (as most power generation there is government controlled) just keep adding power consuming infrastructure and no new power lines and generators.

Cool

Doubt it, the Indian power grid did not hold pace with the development of the country. Happens when politicians (as most power generation there is government controlled) just keep adding power consuming infrastructure and no new power lines and generators.

I know. In the past, in the 80s and 90s power cascading failures was common. A power cascade failure itself is what had happened in Northern India. Some states drew more power than was allowed which collapsed one grid, which in turn collapsed another grid and so on.

I work in the power field. When i worked in India, We used to be called in the deep night to start up the grids after such cascading failures

These things always sound to be a bit like Mercury retrograde; they always say that it will lead to Dramatic things, and they either rarely do, or if anything does go on the blink, it's handy all-purpose explanation. "Not our fault, it's Solar storms, dontchaknow."

• Like 1

So does this mean that you have to wear a radiation suit if you live near the hole in the ozone layer. ? :unsure2:

so outside one can expect to see more hot dogs an burnt marshmellows in the near futur?

i hope it doesnt happen or else i cant play games

Yeah, it would be like a smoker without his/her cigs.

Though "pitched" as a scare-article, there is quite a bit of detailed information in this article, plus videos:

-=-=-=-

Scientists Warn of Possible Apocalypse from Solar Storms

... solar storms could be a serious threat to mankind around 2012 as the sun moves into an active period called solar maximum. ... could destroy some 300 or more transformers here on earth costing trillions and possibly killing millions in the process.

The solar maximum period of the sun is expected to reach its peak in 2013 and experts say there is about a 12 percent chance of a solar superstorm wreaking havoc here on Earth. ... If the flares of a superstorm make its way through a hole in the magnetic field that protects the Earth it will become a modern day apocalypse here on Earth. Magnetically charged particles can reach the Earth within a day or two giving us little advanced warning and virtually no time to prepare.

In the United States, besides effecting the Internet and communication, water and fuel would stop flowing in most cities within hours. Backup generators could also be affected depending on whether they are powered natural gas or diesel. This would leave hospitals, the military and other critical facilities without electrical backup. The results would be chaos.

Read more