Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Super volcano' lies hidden in Italy

Karlis

An eruption in this area has the potential to impact on the world.

Scientists are interested in what's 3km below the volcano, where a chamber of molten rock is believed to be located.

'These type of areas can, at their maximum eruptive strength, be the origin of the only eruptions which could have catastrophic consequences globally, having the same intensity as the impact of very large meteorites would have,' Mr De Natale said.

Source

• Like 1

It seem like they are finding there are several of these supervolcanoes. They discovered one in southwest Bolivia.

Zombie Volcano or New Supervolcano?

If any of them have a full blown eruption we might be all doomed. I wondering if one goes off if it will cause others to follow.

They are going to drill right on top of a massive magma chamber? Morons. :angry:

• Like 2

Oh great there is one in Germany about 450 miles from me, now I'm told there is one in 800 miles in the South??? Time to move! Is there one in SIberia?

• Like 1

Oh great there is one in Germany about 450 miles from me, now I'm told there is one in 800 miles in the South??? Time to move! Is there one in SIberia?

Dang, getting it from both sides! And I live 250 miles from the heart of the Yellowstone supervolcano here in the U.S.

• Like 1

Pozzuoli (Naples) has been repeatedly evacuated because the magma dome underneath it expands and the entire area rises by up to a meter. The Phlegrean fields are a tourist attraction simply because it is the surface manifestation of the magma dome. So... there is no new insight here, it is a well known "super - volano" and I put it down to Sky News sensationalising today, what has been known for decades.

Just one additional point: Pompeii and Ercalano (much better preserved)were never engulfed by lava (as implied) but by ash falling as a result of the eruption.

Dang, getting it from both sides! And I live 250 miles from the heart of the Yellowstone supervolcano here in the U.S.

Tell me about it I use to live in Denver

Wonder if drilling is a good idea? Might cause an eruption that they can't close. Sometime it is best to leave things alone.

Like popping a pimple with a pin. THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

• Like 1

What if they dig down and accidentally awaken the it?

What if they dig down and accidentally awaken the it?

What if they drill down and someone intentionally awakens it with a water they send down the drill-hole?

When it does finally "blow" it will be explosive due to its Litoral location. It is theorised that such an eruption could be of VEI7 proportions (Super Colossal) and release upwards of 100 cubic kilometres of ejecta. The Caldera itself is some 15 Kilomtres across.

Officially it is not a Super - Volcano, but an Ultra - Plinian volcano - bad enough, the 2 real biggies (with the potemtial for massive extinction events) are Yellowstone and Toba (it is surmised the the following Volcanic winter from the last Toba eruption lasted 6 - 10 years and wiped out all but 1000 breeding pairs of humans!!

I never did get to go Yellowstone in the years that I was working Stateside - did pretty much everything else, but regret not seeing this incredible natural park.

To be honest, I would not feel very safe taking my family there currently because of the seismic activity and the upswelling in certain areas of the Caldera/s. It is such an immense volcano that it would take hours to drive out of it if a crisis did occur. No... I think I will remain in Tennesee and the adjacent states this year (look out USA The Keithisco Family Roadtrip starts 15 Oct!! Get those ribs ready, and the Catfish :clap: ) - unless Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga become listed as a "Super Volcano"!! :unsure2::no:

Edited by keithisco

I never did get to go Yellowstone in the years that I was working Stateside - did pretty much everything else, but regret not seeing this incredible natural park.

To be honest, I would not feel very safe taking my family there currently because of the seismic activity and the upswelling in certain areas of the Caldera/s. It is such an immense volcano that it would take hours to drive out of it if a crisis did occur. No... I think I will remain in Tennesee and the adjacent states this year (look out USA The Keithisco Family Roadtrip starts 15 Oct!! Get those ribs ready, and the Catfish :clap: ) - unless Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga become listed as a "Super Volcano"!! :unsure2::no:

Actually one of the safest place from Yellowstone would be Denver according to some scientists

Super vulcano in Italy, whatta news. It has been known for decades.....

• 2 weeks later...

If that thing is the size of the Yellowstone one, then a "warning system" is pointless, unless they have a way to evacuate the entire planet.

They should rather spend the money to give everyone a nice bottle of Chianti to enjoy the last minutes of life on earth.

• Like 1

If that thing is the size of the Yellowstone one, then a "warning system" is pointless, unless they have a way to evacuate the entire planet.

They should rather spend the money to give everyone a nice bottle of Chianti to enjoy the last minutes of life on earth.

I'm allergic to sulfites could you switch that to "Grappa"? :whistle: :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

every time I go to Italy and head out on the autostrada I can't go fast enough to get by Naples and Vesuvius.I do not trust that mountain one bit. my relatives live in the south but I am certain they would also be affected by any eruption. Sometimes things should be left alone unless there is a certanity that drilling would not cause an eruption. No guarantees!