Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible new Da Vinci painting found

Saru

A painting kept in a Scottish farmhouse could turn out to be a Da Vinci worth over $150 million.

Fiona McLaren, 59, had kept an old painting in her Scottish farmhouse for decades. She reportedly didn't think much of the painting, which had been given to her as a gift by her father.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Like his work, well before his time.

Id love to find one of his works.

McLaren says she hopes the painting is sold to a museum, and she plans to donate a percentage of the painting's sale value after it is auctioned.

Why not just donate it to a museum?

Money would be nice though.

Thanks,

• Like 2

Like his work, well before his time.

Id love to find one of his works.

Why not just donate it to a museum?

Money would be nice though.

Thanks,

well im sure that money can change her life so who wouldnt keep some :P
  • Like 1

Yeah, if it really is an undiscovered DaVinci the art world won't miss 150 mill :)

• Like 3

A great discovery, even if it turns out not to be by Da Vinci. I wish the article would have explained the six highlighted indications a little bit (or at all) though, instead of just pointing them out.

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 1

Wow. That will be amazing if it's authentic. I'm kind of doubting it though. look how good the conition of this painting kept in a farm house(?) seems to be as opposed to something like the Mona Lisa which has been kept in as pristene condition as possible and undergone numerous cleanings and restorations. But then again what do I know?

Best of luck to her!

I was friends with Da Vinci.

In Assassins Creed of course.

OT: Interesting article.

• Like 1

With suggested finds like this, it brightens my day just a little against all the darkness in the world.

Hope it turns out to be real or from his students.

i can't blame her for not caring much for it. rather plain and ugly. i do hope it's worth a bundle for her though.

A great discovery, even if it turns out not to be by Da Vinci. I wish the article would have explained the six highlighted indications a little bit (or at all) though, instead of just pointing them out.

Here's part of an explanation I found on another article of what those six points mean:

There are a number of telltale signs in the McLaren family heirloom that point to da Vinci. For example, aspects of the figures' hairlines, shoulders and toes bare significant resemblance to other da Vinci characters and a fleur-de-lys hidden within the portrait is another typical detail oh his work. More concretely, experts have noted that the woman in the portrait is an exact match of a traced figure in the "Last Supper," which also bares resemblance to "Madonna of the Rocks."
  • Like 1

Here's part of an explanation I found on another article of what those six points mean:

Thanks for posting that.

I also remember reading something about another discovered Da Vinci painting found in Italy (I think). They matched some of the paint used in it to the same paint used in the Mona Lisa and at least one other of his paintings.

• Like 1

I also remember reading something about another discovered Da Vinci painting found in Italy (I think). They matched some of the paint used in it to the same paint used in the Mona Lisa and at least one other of his paintings.

That's outstanding.

That's outstanding.

Yeah I thought it was pretty interesting too. I'm not sure what means they would use to actually test the paint, (pretty certain that they wouldn't be scraping off samples to send to a lab) but there was something uncommon about the paint components and they turned out being exact matches. I wonder if they'll test this painting the same way?

I'm on my phone now but i'll try to find an article about it tomorrow.

• 1 month later...