Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Child of Bast

Dracula (1992)

37 posts in this topic

Salem's Lot scared me half to death...especially that scene where the kid's brother scratches at the window...the second floor window. Egad.

I loved The Lost Boys, and got a huge kick out of From Dusk Til Dawn.

I love the remake of Fright Night; Colin Farrell is so handsome, yet very menacing.

My favorite Dracula films are Nosferatu 1922 and its 1979 remake by Werner Herzog.

But Dracula with Bela Legosi and Horror Of Dracula with Christopher Lee remain classics nonetheless. Most of the Christopher Lee sequels for Hammer Films are meh.

Salem's Lot is entertaining just not as good as the book but managed to keep me bundled under the covers as little boy when it debuted on television. Otherwise, I am not a big vampire cinema fan.

Fright Night, The Lost Boys, and Near Dark are all fantastic MTV-generation representatives for the genre during the 80s. No doubt the funnest period cinema ever enjoyed with the bloodsucking genre with alot of comedy and campy b-movies.

One film that has earned its cult status and borders on a vampire theme is Lets Scare Jessica To Death. Creepy small film from the early 70s.

It has It's moments. At the time,it was rather cool .A Halloween episode of The Simpsons did a spoof on it

It's being shown again on TV this weekend where I live so I must try to catch it. I haven't seen it for quite a while. Yeah, The Simpsons spoof was a classic.

Gary Oldman is just an actor's actor. Too cool for the Actor's Studio.

But Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder. Who was prettier? Neither of them could act their way off a bus....

What is being showed this weekend? And where?

More great Dracula related and vampire films

Dracula's Daughter (1936, Universal)

Brides of Dracula (1960, Hammer)

The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)

The Karnstein Trilogy (the vampire family from Sheridan LeFanu's Camille)

The Vampire Lovers (1970, Hammer)

Lust For A Vampire (1971, Hammer)

Twins Of Evil (1971)

Vampire Circus (1972, Hammer)

Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974, Hammer)

Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers is a hilarious film, including the Count's son whose gay and a Jewish vampire named Shagal. The film pokes alot of fun with genre conventions. Plus, the score by Krzysztof Komeda is truly awesome!

More great Dracula related and vampire films

Dracula's Daughter (1936, Universal)

Brides of Dracula (1960, Hammer)

The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)

The Karnstein Trilogy (the vampire family from Sheridan LeFanu's Camille)

The Vampire Lovers (1970, Hammer)

Lust For A Vampire (1971, Hammer)

Twins Of Evil (1971)

Vampire Circus (1972, Hammer)

Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974, Hammer)

Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers is a hilarious film, including the Count's son whose gay and a Jewish vampire named Shagal. The film pokes alot of fun with genre conventions. Plus, the score by Krzysztof Komeda is truly awesome!

I did my Master's dissertation on the Karnstein trilogy; I was lucky enough to know the screenwriter, Tudor Gates, prior to his death and he was a wealth of entertaining information!

1 person likes this

I did my Master's dissertation on the Karnstein trilogy; I was lucky enough to know the screenwriter, Tudor Gates, prior to his death and he was a wealth of entertaining information!

Thats pretty cool. :tu:

I forget to list one vampire film from this period, Mario Bava's Black Sunday (1960, Italian). This black and white classic displays Bava's talent with the hypnotic and surreal. There is literally tons of vampire films from America, England, and Italy but I think I covered some of the best period ones similar or directly inspired by Bram Stoker's Dracula.

From a technical point of view, it's a masterpiece - all of the effects are "in camera" ones. From the green smoke, to the eyes in the glass - all done with physical effects and no "CGI" or "digital post production".

2 people like this

Outstanding movie..not perfect, but it is a classic in my opinion.

None of the special effects in the film were computer generated. They used traditional movie making methods and everything was 'conjured' during the shot. Genius. I would be careful though, it does have some terrifying scenes. It is Rated R as well.

dracula kinda a classic everyone has to see sometime im 13 and i saw it.

Being a big fan of comedy I would add:

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer" (the movie not the series)...

and "Love at First Bite"...

Haha, 'Children of the night...shut up!' Funny flick.

I *love* Oldman in this film. The sceenplay takes some liberties with Stoker's novel, however. Although Dracula may have been based on Vlad the Impaler, it's not explicitly stated like it is in the movie. But let's be honest, the book isn't that well written; it's slow moving and the dialogue is wooden.

The cinematography is wonderful but Ryder and Reeves' accents are very iffy. Plus there's a strange lesbian connection between Lucy and Mina which isn't in the book and serves no purpose to the story. That's more 'Camilla' territory.

You should also consider Christopher Lee's Dracula in the 1958 Hammer flick 'The Horror of Dracula'.

Best vamps are Christopher Lee, Gary Oldman, Bela Lugosi, Frank Langella, and George Hamilton (Love at First Bite). Jack Palance in the role is just weird...

One of the best King books ever written, imo, yet one of its biggest common criticisms that it is nothing but a modern contemporary retake on Bram Stoker's Dracula. But I am one that didnt mind this fact because of its excellent build and produced plenty of late nite shivers and heebie-jeebies.

Speaking of vampire novels, any one here read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson?

I have it on my Kobo and have wanted to read it for ages. Have you seen any of the film adaptations? I've only seen Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. Anyone know if The Omega Man or I Am Legend with Will Smith are worth watching?

Sidenote: The Hunger movie is so overrated.

Apparently a 'must read' vampire novel is Theodore Sturgeon's 'Some of Your Blood'. While it isn't scary (no movies or books scare me these days), it's a really interesting story. It's pretty short, so anyone with a bit of free time to kill, you should check it out :yes:

I have it on my Kobo and have wanted to read it for ages. Have you seen any of the film adaptations? I've only seen Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. Anyone know if The Omega Man or I Am Legend with Will Smith are worth watching?

Sidenote: The Hunger movie is so overrated.

Apparently a 'must read' vampire novel is Theodore Sturgeon's 'Some of Your Blood'. While it isn't scary (no movies or books scare me these days), it's a really interesting story. It's pretty short, so anyone with a bit of free time to kill, you should check it out :yes:

Yes, actually The Last Man On Earth is the very best and most faithful adaptation of I Am Legend. That is a great film.

The Omega Man is worth a watch I guess... only for its 70s apocalyptic action style especially since I am no Charleton Heston fan AT ALL. The new one with Will Smith is absolute crap with crappy CGI.

1 person likes this